how do you block paprikas zippy teleport?

Herathrig

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Jul 22, 2016
i have a problem defending against an aggressive paprika as velvet. is paprika zippy teleport a high attack? how do you counter it?

Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

qspec

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Check it out in training mode and report back here :)

You'll also get framedata at the bottom of the screen to tell you exactly how +/- it is which should inform what you are able to go for after you block it too.

qspec

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
No problem, that's a reference to framedata. Generally speaking, + means it is your turn and - means it isn't (or is even punishable).

I am going to link something that will make it a lot more explicit, but as an example, let's say you block a move that is -12, that means you can punish it with any move you have that starts up in 12 or fewer frames ie a big punish. If you block a move that is +3, that means if you touch a button, you are 3 frames behind their next button... so if they use a move that starts up in 10 frames, you have to use a move that starts up in 7 or fewer frames or you'll lose the exchange. This is an important concept for a frametrap which is basically giving you enough of a gap to push a button which I can then hit you out of. So I do a move that is +2 on block and then I follow-up with a move that is 5 frames. You push your fastest button which is 4 frames, I'm still going to hit you because my move is 5 frames and yours is 4+2 frames.

Hopefully that's not too confusing (I'm not a great explainer), but here's a link that should definitely help.

Mage

A Normal Person
Feb 26, 2017
Oblivion
I assume you're referring to the version where she falls from the sky. If you don't move, I'm pretty sure it'll always hit you from the front as a high attack (in other words, stand up and block {hold back}). However, if you're moving as she uses it, that's where things get a bit funky, because it can end up hitting you from behind instead, meaning you'll have to hold forward.

If you do manage to block it, you can punish it with a full combo though. I'm not sure of the exact moves Velvet could use after, but a jab or even a medium should work.

Last edited:

Herathrig

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Jul 22, 2016
zippy tele is the one that lands on your head.
I see, so just stand block. huh. Can you hit paprika with a vertical snowball?
Ill also check the frame data thing. thanks for the tip!

Mage

A Normal Person
Feb 26, 2017
Oblivion
zippy tele is the one that lands on your head.
I see, so just stand block. huh. Can you hit paprika with a vertical snowball?
Most likely. She properly doesn't have any invulnerability frames during it.
You can record yourself doing moves and stuff and have the CPU play it back in training mode. I'm not really sure how to do it because I don't use training as much as I should, but if you can figure it out you'll be able to try stuff that way.