How do i approach Velvet (and blocks in general)?

Appletank

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Third Planet of Sol
Note: Currently playing Olie

Testing out approaches in Training in slow motion, not sure what to do when she's constantly blocking. I try to block in return, but i tend to get pushed back by one of her giant ice crystals. If I get close, she just blocks (or attacks with an ice crystal and pushes me back) and we end up constantly hopping and not doing anything.

Is it mainly a "who blinks first" thing I have to be ready for? In general for everyone?

Erkicman

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Velvet here. I just got WASHED by 2 good Oleanders. Figure out how to put the Velvet in blockstun with your fireballs in order to A-or-B-teleport safely. If the Velvet doesn't know how to up-back or up-forward out of the setup, that's your in. If all the Velvet knows to do is set up ice crystals, find your opportunities to READ. Magic meter with Oleander lets you air teleport in, which I... actually don't know how to counter with Velvet...

If all else fails, up-forward with the expectation of air blocking. You will eventually corner Velvet due to her limited mobility. There are also situations where, if Velvet tries throwing too many ice crystals and you jump over one of them, you can hit down+C in the air and clip her from unexpectedly long ranges. Max-distance down+C on the ground also does a number on Velvet.

Hope that helps. A lot of these options really depend on how well you can analyse what kind of Velvet your opponent is.

Neb

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 5, 2016
If a velvet sets an ice shard on the ground and then goes up to set one in the air, teleport behind her. That drives me nuts when I'm playing Velvet. AI opponents can be silly though, and can react to almost anything, but one of your big advantages as Ollie is the speed and size of your air normals. You can leap, attack, double jump, attack, then land and throw out your ridiculously good jab. As far as I can tell, though, sometimes the computer just isn't having it and will block everything, so if all else fails drop the blockstring and look for a new way in. Slow fireball>teleport works almost everytime on AI. Even if they block it, you're now close to Velvet.

Nintyuk

Professor Bright Spark
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
If Your playing Pom you can use Big momma as a shield to approach Projectile spammers as you can move her out in front near the spammer and when they try to fire you counter and wall splat them.
Hold :D: then start moving forward and Big Momma will start running in.
You can also use Pilot Pup :3::D: to disrupt from long range but that's not as effective.

Reactions: Nightshade