Good news, Bad news, Stream news.

PolarisAegis

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I will admit I'm curious as to what the delay-causing bug is. I am a software developer so I like just hearing about interesting bugs... That and I'm just super excited for the beta to be out so I have a hard time containing myself until it arrives.

Vulapa

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 5, 2016
I will admit I'm curious as to what the delay-causing bug is. I am a software developer so I like just hearing about interesting bugs... That and I'm just super excited for the beta to be out so I have a hard time containing myself until it arrives.
Me too. It seems huge enough to warrant a proper delay of the game, and I'd like to know in more detail what type of technical bugs can elicit this sort of response from a game dev's standpoint. I'm still excited for the game and do understand the need, but my interest in finding these bugs are piqued at the moment.

marsephel

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 8, 2016
Well considering they just put out an update for new animations for Paprika saying "we are still filling in arizona animations on characters as we don't want beta testers to deal with it" makes me think it was a blanket statement and animating is taking longer than expected. Either this, or something to do with steam integration that is causing issues.

Reactions: Tox

PolarisAegis

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I think you might be right on the animation side. That would make a lot of sense, as it did look like there were still some characters with a not insignificant amount of Arizona animations remaining. It sounded like some of the devs were already using the steam version during the more recent work streams, so outside of maybe achievements or something I'm not sure what other steam integration could be required. Either way, that won't stop me from checking my email 6 times a day at work hoping to see an update. =P

Reactions: Patthecat

Treble Sketch

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 5, 2016
The Land Down Under
twitter.com
Hey guys!

Seems the beta will not be out before end of month after all; We've found some technical issues, of the "this will affect a large share of the population" variety, and we've been working through the week getting them solved or worked around. Not a huge insormountable issue, but it'll still be delaying the Beta by a bit anyways. Better to have stuff fixed now we know it exists rather than open beta, have a large amount of people find what we already know it's there, be unable to play, and then fix it.

We'll let you know once we have a start date.
All's good! Thanks for keeping us informed and wish you guys the best at fixing that issue ^^

Reactions: Firekirby

riverhippo

Arizona's #1 hippo
Backers' Beta Tester
Apr 19, 2017
Dallas, Texas
Better to have stuff fixed now we know it exists rather than open beta, have a large amount of people find what we already know it's there, be unable to play, and then fix it.

We'll let you know once we have a start date.
When you say open beta, you do mean the backer's beta, right? This is the first time I'm seeing mention of an open beta.

CamTSB

僕は誰なんだろう?
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
Ontario, Canada
twitter.com
When you say open beta, you do mean the backer's beta, right? This is the first time I'm seeing mention of an open beta.
They are saying it in the sense of they are opening the beta to the backers (I think).
Redness is correct. "Open" was used as a verb here, not an adjective. The post was stating a timeline of

- We open the beta to the backers
- people find broken things we know about
- people can't play until we fix it

There is no open beta, only the backer's beta.

Nexus_uno

「CRAZY DIAMOND」
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
ZA WARUDO
The Logical side of me wants to say "Sure, no problem. We obviously want things to be running (and funning) at 100% for the Beta."

But the tapping buttons side of me says "The wait is killing me oh my goodness".
I feel the same way, I'm normally a patient person but right now I just want SOMETHING. There isn't even an estimate and its been 2 weeks since the "beta will be open some time this weekend" from the stream, and the "a delay" from Mane6, however the beta will be decently long I believe because Mane6 said something about waiting out a major fighting game release.

PolarisAegis

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking that. If a delay is happening, it's good that they notified us of it, but the other part of the issue is then updating the schedule. The slight delay notification mentioned it was a big but not insurmountable problem, but even knowing general software development procedures that isn't really good as a way to estimate how long the delay is. Now that it has been a week since that previous notification I imagine the scale of the problem could at least be figured out to a degree by which either:
A. A ballpark estimate can be reached as to how long the delay will continue for.
B. It can be determined that the problem is larger than expected and thus such an estimate is impossible at this time.

I won't deny that part of my impatience is coming from having started preparations to get other backer beta friends together and thus my excitement has built up and is now starting to burn. I know how rough unexpected problems can be in a software development process, especially when putting together all of the separate pieces.

What would really help us here is some sort of information. People will jump to conclusions without any updates, so all that's necessary is some sort of hint at the progress on the problem. We're all here to support the team, I don't think anyone will be annoyed if it turns out the problem was bigger than expected and the beta needs a significant delay. We just need something so no one starts getting worried.

Reactions: Patthecat and Tox

PolarisAegis

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I just assumed that it would be about a week before those problems would be fixed, but I guess it will be longer?
Yeah, I figured it'd be a week as well which is why I waited to speak up much about it. I just don't want people looking at it and thinking "Oh no, here we go to development hell..." because I do not believe that is the case. The work streams have been proof enough of that, just it's always good to keep information flowing.

marsephel

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 8, 2016
Hopefully we will get an update very soon since a full week has passed. Testers waiting to dive into the beta have been very patient and I can see others are tapping their feet as fast as I am, I'm sure others might start getting worried if we don't hear anything by the end of the week.

PolarisAegis

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Hopefully we will get an update very soon since a full week has passed. Testers waiting to dive into the beta have been very patient and I can see others are tapping their feet as fast as I am, I'm sure others might start getting worried if we don't hear anything by the end of the week.
Welp. Just got an update sent. Good to hear! Gonna have to wait about two more weeks, but at least that means another goal date is in mind!

Tox

Ms. Fortune is best pone
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
NSW, Australia
steamcommunity.com
Skullgirls

It's my favourite fighting game. The team making Them's Fightin' Herds are using the same engine that was used in Skullgirls (idk wat that means tho). I got Skullgirls so I could practise arcade fighting and become familiar with the engine for when tfh is released. Best decision I've made all year :D

Last edited:

NeoTensai

Twitch Streamer, Amateur Shoutcaster...
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 11, 2016
Slovenia, Ljubljana
Skullgirls

It's my favourite fighting game. The team making Them's Fightin' Herds are using the same engine they used in Skullgirls (idk wat that means tho). I got Skullgirls so I could practise arcade fighting and become familiar with the engine for when tfh is released. Best decision I've made all year :D
To be more precise. The ManeSix got the Z-engine gifted to them by the development team Lab Zero Games after an agreement they made, helping them fund 2nd Encore dlc for SkullGirls. At first I understood your post like, the ManeSix made SkullGirls(which is false, Lab Zero Games made SkullGirls), so I am just clearing up any confusion that could pop up.

Firekirby

Star Warrior
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Hotter than heck, FL
discord.gg
The team making Them's Fightin' Herds are using the same engine that was used in Skullgirls (idk wat that means tho)
Hmm... Probably the easiest way to think about a game engine is the set of tools with which developers can build, without needing to make everything from scratch. It's why you'll see drastically different games sometimes using the same engine, as the engine is more or less a foundation. Everything else about the game is built upon it by the devs themselves.

With this and the additional input from the post above, it should be stressed that just because it uses the same engine as Skullgirls does not mean it will play the same. It's a fighting game for sure, and playing others like Skullgirls will help get into it on a fundamental level, but TFH will be a beast all its own, excuse the pun.

CamTSB

僕は誰なんだろう?
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
Ontario, Canada
twitter.com