General Paprika Discussion Thread

SubrosianDimitri

The King of Poor Decision Making
Crowdfund Backer
As the name implies, use this thread to discuss things related to Paprika; preferably gameplay related stuff, be it strategies, combos, inquiries, frame data, whatever.

This thread will probably be replaced by ton of more specific threads as time goes on, but I figured we could get some discussion going with this.

Swasfews

Mostly Quiet
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I don't really have any tips or anything but I wanted to say that Paprika's the first time I've ever really gotten charges. They've always been a complete mystery to me. There's something about how she plays that made it just kinda click for me finally.

BinkleyPie

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Does anyone have a list of all the possible items and what they do?

I think it's something like this?
  • Food items: Apple (restores health), Broccoli (no health lol)...so I guess broccoli is a "trap" where if the opponent is over it and ends up eating it you initiate while they are chewing.
  • Flower Pot: 2 hit item
  • Rolling Ball: rolls on the ground, used for setups

Also in terms of notable normals I've noticed:

5M is far reaching and good for punishing
2M multi hits and good for confirms (?)
jH is amazing and crossup city
jM seems to be decent at air to air? (is this universal like 6L being anti-air?)
6HHH (tshirt) has a vacuum effect on the 2nd hit (?)

SubrosianDimitri

The King of Poor Decision Making
Crowdfund Backer
  • Food items: Apple (restores health), Broccoli (no health lol)...so I guess broccoli is a "trap" where if the opponent is over it and ends up eating it you initiate while they are chewing.
  • Flower Pot: 2 hit item
  • Rolling Ball: rolls on the ground, used for setups
The broccoli restores meter, and I'm pretty sure the ball you speak of is supposed to be a cinnamon roll. At least that's what I've heard it called in almost all of the beta streams

BinkleyPie

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
The broccoli restores meter, and I'm pretty sure the ball you speak of is supposed to be a cinnamon roll. At least that's what I've heard it called in almost all of the beta streams
Thanks that makes a lot more sense. I wasn't looking at the meter. Also cinnamon roll makes sense since it's a food item haha

Reactions: PinkieFTW

Orcool

Loves you to death
Feb 11, 2018
Can anybody tell me what is the timing for inputing Level 2 Super & Level 3 Super with Paprika? I can't figure it out for the life of me

BinkleyPie

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
For the level 2 (picnic basket) it's 22 + any 2 buttons after the level 1 connects but before she jumps up (end of level 1). Not sure what you mean by level 3? When the basket is out you can use it for free items (doesn't deplete magic) or teleport to it (one time use) using D.

PhantomFox

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Maryland
Ok, I have a hard time short-hopping in general, but how the cuss do you short hop after a charge motion? Seems rather finicky to me, but I also have no experience, so who knows.

super hurricane

Feb 13, 2016
Just wondering, but what button lets you eat the broccoli again, since it's not exactly listed in the command menu?

BinkleyPie

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Ok, I have a hard time short-hopping in general, but how the cuss do you short hop after a charge motion? Seems rather finicky to me, but I also have no experience, so who knows.
I play on a hitbox so I think for me it's too easy but I guess just "tap" after the charge attack hits? I dunno how to describe it better than that.

Also this was posted on reddit and might help some people (like me):

Svierrod

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Ok, I have a hard time short-hopping in general . . .
Bit of advice for getting short hop instead of full jump. Instead of just trying to push :8: for a couple of frames and hoping you let go in time, try pressing :8::2: or :9::2:as your short hop input. Convincing your hand that you've got somewhere else to go right now might help you spend as little time on that direction as possible. My success rate with :8:(briefly) is about 60%, but my success rate with :8::2: is about 95%. It's much more consistent for me.

ph00tbag

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Oct 19, 2016
bnb to go from 6H , (inmediatelly hold 4), H , H -> charged move?? how the actual buck??
6H and its follow-ups actually have a lot of hitstun, so you can space out the follow-ups quite a bit to get the full charge in.