Games You...

CrazyBob05

Feb 9, 2016
...Hate that Everybody Else Loves
...Love that Everybody Else Hates

We'll TRY to be civil about this. Hopefully, this won't spark a flame-war but opinions can have that effect and this will be a highly opinionated thread.

For me, under the former kind
-World of WarCraft
-Kingdom Hearts

Under the latter kind
-StarFox Adventures and Assault
-Legend of Spyro series

Reactions: Nadia

Nadia

Feb 4, 2016
Germany
Games I Hate that Everybody Else Loves.
Any Moba game.

Games I Love that Everybody Else Hates.
Duke Nukem Forever.

SubrosianDimitri

The King of Poor Decision Making
Crowdfund Backer
We'll TRY to be civil about this. Hopefully, this won't spark a flame-war but opinions can have that effect and this will be a highly opinionated thread.
At least you realize how crazy this can get, make sure to keep your finger on the delete button if things get out of hand.

Anyhoo, my choices...

In terms of the former, I don't hate any of these games, I just can't get into them:

- 3D Zelda (excluding Majora's Mask): Never could get into 3D Zelda, and I have no idea why. I can acknowledge them as quality games, but I myself can't get into them, and aside from Majora's Mask, I've never finished any of them without cheating. Maybe it's because I was only 3 when Ocarina of Time came out, but I never saw what's so great about it once you focus on the story/presentation/dungeon design/whatever else makes up the game. Yes, I realize how revolutionary it was with the lock-on system, but something being revolutionary means nothing to me if I'm not having fun, and I wasn't.
- Final Fantasy: I've only played 2 of the games, 4 and 6, and I didn't complete either of them. The soundtracks and stories were fine, but I couldn't get into the battle system. I'm a lot more of a turn-based battle person (which I don't count ATB as). And considering how the later games look and seem to play, I have no desire to play those. I'll stick to Dragon Quest, thank you very much
- The Tales Series: I own Symphonia, and I couldn't go any farther than the first major boss fight (some tall green thing). Not because it was difficult, but more because I just couldn't stand the battle system. Real-time is not for me, and though the story I had gotten at first had a good setup and I liked the characters right out of the gate, the combat just didn't appeal to me. And since combat is what most of your time in an RPG is spent doing, that pushed me away very quickly.

In terms of the latter:

- Arc Rise Fantasia: I wouldn't say this game is hated, per-se. But many people, especially professional reviewers, called it garbage because of the voice acting and grinding (A lot of them didn't even play the game past the 12 hour mark, and the main game is around 80 hours). The voice acting is an easily remedied problem (Assuming you don't enjoy gloriously bad acting, and it gets better as the game goes on), and the grinding is not nearly as bad as games like Dragon Quest (which is praised like crazy), so that claim really holds no weight. Plus, there's no unnecessary extra mechanics to level-up, use new weapons (I'm looking at you FF XII), or learn new abilities. Plus, the bosses actually require strategy instead of brute force, something most popular JRPGs seem to lack.

Most other games I would list don't actually have that many people who hate them.

Last edited:

Rich Jammer

By the Numbers Accountant
Backers' Beta Tester
I won't add in games I haven't tried. Also, I don't buy as many games as I used to when I was in college so less exposure nowadays.

...Hate that Everybody Else Loves

• Borderlands series
  • Killzone 2
  • Grand Theft Auto 5
  • Uncharted 4 (and I'm a big Uncharted fan too)
...Love that Everybody Else Hates
  • Legend of Korra Game
  • Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace (PC)
  • Grand Theft Auto 4 (I put this in here since I like this game way more than GTA 5)
  • Metal Gear Solid 4 (I put this here cause this is the one I played the most and seems to be the least favorite among MGS fans)

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
To be really honest, I have very few games that I hate, mostly I just don't care about playing them.
So, I'll not state games that I "Hate", but just don't really care too much for them.
Undertale.
Now as I said, I have no hate for this game, heck I even think of it as a great one, but I just couldn't really get behind the hype about the story. It was alright, and had an interesting undertone, but it wasn't THAT groundbreaking. To be honest I only dislike this whole meta it created like it was the first ever game which made you question if you should kill or not. Also, it's really hard nowadays to go into the game without knowing anything due to the massive spoilers all around the internet.
In my honest opinion Iji did the whole pacifist/genocide route much better, and it's free to try out if interested. And also has an awesome soundtrack (with one of the best final boss fight theme you can find)
Also, DOTA. Tried waay back in my LoL days, didn't really like it.
And maybe you can say Hearthstone. I just find it meh.

As for game that I love while everbody hates it....
Maybe Empire Earth 3?
It was nowhere near the level of the EE games that came before, but it was decent fun for one.
There are probably others, but I can't remember.

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
Hates that Everyone Loves:
Sports Games
Most MMOs (save a few that use 3rd person controls)

Loves that Everyone Hates:
Heroes of Might and Magic 4

Sadly, I cannot recall anything else that belongs to either list. I know there's a few more, but my mind is blanking out hard atm...

TyphlUpgrade

When the Eleven-Day Empire eats the sky...
Crowdfund Backer
Hates that everybody luvz 4 lyfe:
Any Call of Duty game.
Any sports game.

Loves that everybody else hates:
Evolve. I found the game really fun and replayable. While there was no story mode, there was a single player mode. IMO the only reason the game got brought down was due to misinformation and a terrible leveling system.

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
Any Call of Duty game.
Any sports game.
To be honest a lot of those are really hated by players, if for nothing else than the unoriginality and the fact that it's pumped out every year.
That said there are the occasional gems hidden between them, and even if I dislike them after these years dragged it through the mud, CoD is a decent game, with a good multiplayer.

Rocketknightgeek

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Games I hate that everybody loves: EVERY GODAMNNED CONSOLE EXCLUSIVE FPS.

Seriously, with the possible exception of Metroid Prime (and only then because they gave you a lock on, allowing you to concentrate entirely on movement during combat) I hate that all these lavish, expensive and theoretically good games are permanently hamstrung by having to be played with a controller making aiming at anything slow, cumbersome and frustrating by comparison to mouse/keyboard. I honestly wouldn't mind if they just let me plug those into the console but because M/K players would wreck everyone's face in multiplayer we don't even get to have that option. Third person is only slightly better, with something like Tomb Raider working nicely with it's directed combat arenas while the more freeform likes of Uncharted or the Cybertron games can be near unplayable on anything above normal difficulty.

Games I love that everybody hates: Super Mario Sunshine.

I will never for the life of me understand why people rag on this game so much. I honestly liked the more wide open levels and tropical aesthetic more than Mario 64 or Galaxy with their trippy but incoherent arenas. Okay, having to be an actual place meant that the camera has more problems navigating around large obstacles than in the other games but it's still pretty stellar compared to any contemporaries from the time. Also, Fludd is super fun.

Silver Lining

Dwarf casts Fireball! *throws gunpowder barrel*
Backers' Beta Tester
On the "dislikes" list, I have:
Fable
Pokèmon
Almost every "survival" type game

I don't hate them, it's more that I'm disappointed in them.
Fable fails to deliver a tenth of the epic RPG it promises, and the gameplay is just borderline MMO-repetitive. While that's not a bad thing in itself--I like MMOs and farming-heavy games--the lack of substance makes it fall apart.

Survival games have this persisting problem of never being complete experiences. With a few notable exceptions, they're released well before they can deliver on a genuine survival game, and a lot of them just borrow the exact same concepts from Minecraft (crafting, building up from nothing, exploring for resources). I can enjoy a game with survival elements, but if the core experience is survival, it tends to get boring once I have a house and enough food to just ignore the rest of the world.

Pokèmon...now, I grew up with this. Borrowed a Blue version from a friend when I was 10, then later managed to get my hands on Yellow and play through the whole game. It was one of the first big fandoms I'd ever known (before the word "fandom" came into use). Having said that, I don't really enjoy Pokèmon games now. It has nothing to do with the increased detail or the "superiority" of Gen 1 (come on, there were three 'mons that were literally just piles of semi-solid goop, I'm not gonna give them crap for making a trash bag and an ice cream cone). No, my problem just lies with several specific grievances with the game's design. I still enjoy borrowing my brother's copy of Soulsilver now and again, but I can't stand to play it for long without complaining about the problems.

As far as games I like, I'm not sure if any fit into "everyone else hates," but I know there are games I like that I never see people talk about.
Megaman Battle Network
Ace Combat
.hack
Rune Factory

Megaman Battle Network was a game that was introduced almost as early as Pokèmon, but about the only similarity they had was that they both used a "multiple versions" setup and their 3rd games were both on the Gameboy Advance. I borrowed a friend's copy of MMBN3 (White), and I found a game that told an interesting story, had diverse characters, and a battle system that was like playing a card game during a real-time fight. I went and got my own copy, and another friend of mine got MMBN3 (Blue), and we spent so much time with the story, getting all the secrets and battling each other. And it still holds true today that I love the games. If we could get a huge, console release of MMBN, I would probably lose my voice from screeching.

Ace Combat is an interesting case. I was almost 18 when I first looked at one of these games (specifically AC4). I was worried that the controls would be needlessly complex, or that I'd get bored, but all of that disappeared, replaced with a sad heartfelt story from a child on the other side of the war and an intense, thrilling game. It surprised me how well the game was made.

.hack was another, earlier game, I saw it in my teens but I didn't get to play it much. Fast forward to around 17, I had disposable income and saw 3 out of 4 parts in the game store, so I picked it up for nostalgia. I'll admit, the combat isn't anything special, and it can get a bit repetitive--it IS a PS2 game simulating an MMORPG--but the story is still very interesting. Sword Art Online can eat its heart out, because .hack did it first and better.

Rune Factory is pretty simple. You take Harvest Moon, but then you put monsters in the cave, add more caves, and make a story about an amnesiac who begins working on a farm and exploring caves while trying to recover their memories. There's magic, fae, cool weapons and you still get all the bits that you love about Harvest Moon.
Spoiler tags in case people don't want my nostalgia in their face.
- Final Fantasy: I've only played 2 of the games, 4 and 6, and I didn't complete either of them. The soundtracks and stories were fine, but I couldn't get into the battle system. I'm a lot more of a turn-based battle person (which I don't count ATB as). And considering how the later games look and seem to play, I have no desire to play those. I'll stick to Dragon Quest, thank you very much
1, 2 and 3 go with a more normal, turn-based battle system iirc, and I would honestly suggest, if nothing else, you look at the first Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced game. It has a slow introduction, but it's a solid game.

Last edited:

SubrosianDimitri

Crowdfund Backer
Games I love that everybody hates: Super Mario Sunshine.

I will never for the life of me understand why people rag on this game so much. I honestly liked the more wide open levels and tropical aesthetic more than Mario 64 or Galaxy with their trippy but incoherent arenas. Okay, having to be an actual place meant that the camera has more problems navigating around large obstacles than in the other games but it's still pretty stellar compared to any contemporaries from the time. Also, Fludd is super fun.
I will agree that the game is really good, though it's also obscenely hard, and a more-than-small portion of that difficulty comes from rather jerkish design choices in certain missions. 3 specific examples come to mind:
- The roller coaster, the way it's built and the speed it moves at are very disorienting.
- The electric manta ray, a source of sheer aggrivation
- The cleaning mission in the same world as the manta ray. It gives you barely enough time to clear all the electric goop up, the margin of error is nearly zero.

It's also a game that is in no way, shape, or form a good idea to try and 100%. Sunshine is just plain cruel with how it handles all of the optional shine sprites (many of which are given to you by the island's residents, no less), and don't even get me started on the blue coins.

Also, the final boss is pretty bad.

Rocketknightgeek

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
- The electric manta ray, a source of sheer aggrivation
- The cleaning mission in the same world as the manta ray. It gives you barely enough time to clear all the electric goop up, the margin of error is nearly zero.
The hotel Delfino missions are basically a big, flashing sign that screams "MASTER SPIN JUMP SPRINKLING RIGHT NOW!" as loud as it can, directly into your face. Best of luck if playing on emulation though, as half holding R is kind of impossible on keyboard and not supported for controllers at all a lot of the time.

Now, the pachinko shine and the long rafting course after you have to take yoshi across the ferries to get there.... THOSE can go die in a fire.

PixelGrip94

Games, Movies, Music, & Ponies!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Former
- Borderlands 1 & 2. Hated the first one and I played all the DLC on the GOTY edition. Tried number 2 and only found one of the problems with the first game fixed with others made worse.
- Call of Duty. Too many in too short a time span. One every year doesn't mean improvement.
- Sports games. Same reason as above.
- Grand Theft Auto IV. Got incredibly bored of the story only 1/4th of the way through the game. Only fun the game had to offer were cheats.
- Metal Gear Solid series. Series plot is complicated for the sake of being complicated, not being deep, meaningful, or interesting like it pretends to be. I feel like playing the series to understand the plot would be the equivalent of homework.
- Demon's/Dark Souls. I understand that's it's not a game for everyone, but personally, hair ripping challenge does not equal a fun game to me.
- Sly Cooper Trilogy. Liked number 1, hated 2, felt 3 was meh.
- Assassin's Creed. Same problem as Call of Duty. Only difference is that I didn't feel the first was good enough to warrant a greatest hits release, let alone 20 sequels.
- Fallout 3/New Vegas. 3 had "so much to do" despite me wandering the wasteland for multiple hours looking for something to do only to get killed by some random enemy due to high level gap or lack of useful weaponry. Liked New Vegas until the end required me to do more side quests than I already dumped multiple hours into before even contemplating the end missions due to (again) insanely high leveled enemies and lack of useful weapons/ammo for useful weapons.
- Pokémon. Worse than Call of Duty in the sense of repackaging the same game and charging full price for it. While they take longer to release a new title, that makes it all the worse when it's basically a carbon cutout of the previous games from the last 20 years. Lost interest from Black and White on due to the story misleading me into thinking that it would delve into more interesting dilemmas than "leader of evil group wants to take over the world with Pokémon/be the best trainer in the world"
- Super Mario/Mario Kart/Mario Party. Exact same problem as Pokémon. Only difference is the games are usually only rereleased with each new console. Only exception to my dislike is Smash Bros.
- Bioshock Infinite. I don't exactly hate this game, but I didn't really see what people found so great about it. Played through it, but didn't find it having as much of an impact on me as the original Bioshock.

Latter
- Final Fantasy XIII. Wasn't bothered by the lack of side quests like everyone else seems to be when hating this game and enjoyed the strategy based battle system.

Last edited:

TigerKirby215

I should be doing work right now
Crowdfund Backer
Mar 29, 2016
Might just be that I'm spoiled as zork but...
I started playing Dead Rising 4 HD and... wow it's bad. :(
The story is filled with cheezy goodness but oh my lord the tank controls. The mere fact that everything outranges my knife really pisses me off.
I understand keeping true to the original, but couldn't you have at least made the game not control like you're using a controller when you're using a keyboard?

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
I remembered another game I rather dislike while a lot of peole love it
Namely: Counter Strike.
I am really on the opinion that if the game wouldn't have an esport scene it would be considered utter garbage. A lot of the matches are really down to sheer luck as your characters shoot like 80 year olds with parkinsons, and you really depend on the rng to pull your bullets into the intended target.
Yes, teamwork and coordination helps tremendously, but so does in other games, where you are really not relying on luck giving a headshot by aiming on someone's abdomen.

Silver Lining

Dwarf casts Fireball! *throws gunpowder barrel*
Backers' Beta Tester
I remembered another game I rather dislike while a lot of peole love it
Namely: Counter Strike.
I am really on the opinion that if the game wouldn't have an esport scene it would be considered utter garbage. A lot of the matches are really down to sheer luck as your characters shoot like 80 year olds with parkinsons, and you really depend on the rng to pull your bullets into the intended target.
Yes, teamwork and coordination helps tremendously, but so does in other games, where you are really not relying on luck giving a headshot by aiming on someone's abdomen.
It used to be an alright game, although I mostly played it on custom servers. But after the update to Source and the introduction of CSGO, guns started handling worse than airsoft. It also made a lot of code for custom servers unusable, which was kind of the nail in the coffin for me.

BypenThynDragon

I for one welcom our new ruler Smugdeer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Games I don't like:
FNAF (or any horror game in fact)
Sports games (except maybe Mario sports games)
DOTA (it wasn't the game I just spent like 10+ hours making a URealms game for some of my friends and we couldn't play it because two of them diched me to play DOTA for 6 hours)

Games I Like:
Starfox Assault (It was my first and favorite Starfox game)
The Legend of Spyro (I grew up on these games expeshiy the first one)
Spore (IDK but I've seen a lot of Spore hate sense No Mans Sky came out)

Feanor

Proud Velveeta
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Earth
Hrmmm.

First category: CoD, Madden, Pokemon, Uncharted, Mass Effect.

Second: Xenophage, Quake (original), Blood.

fah_q2

Just some guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
The former:
Earthbound
Fallout 1
MOBAs
All those walking simulator horror games on steam.

The latter:
Dead Island/Dying Light
Resident Evil 5
Super Mario Sunshine

Last edited:

SubrosianDimitri

Crowdfund Backer
Another game I forgot to mention, though I do actually hate this one:
The original Legend of Zelda: I genuinely think that Zelda 1 is a complete piece of garbage on almost every level. Let's list the problems
A complete lack of any direction, and not in a good way. Non-linear and heavily open games are fine, but if there's no way to know where the holy hell to go unless you have that guide that came with the game in the 80s (or Zeldadungeon I suppose), or played the game long enough to memorize every single thing, which probably required the guide anyway. Without either of those things, how the hell would anyone think that the flute is used to open Dungeon 7 by draining a fairy fountain? How would anyone think to bomb a random rock formation in the mountain that looks like every other rock formation to open the final dungeon?

Awful controls. The control is so stiff, Link moves and attacks like a tank, and the enemies are far more mobile than he is. You can throw your boomerang diagonally, and yet you can't move diagonally, and that stab attack sure isn't doing Link any favors with the kind of crap he's fighting.

Utterly despicable enemies. I'm fine with challenge, it's not like I'm playing a Kirby game here (but I wish I was), but when the challenge comes from enemies who can outmaneuver you and deal more damage than you can keep up with, then we have a problem, buster. Darknuts can seriously go die in a fire, they're a prime example of the BS enemy power in this game, especially when they swarm you with the things, which is way too often.

Grumble, Grumble. Which translates to: Give me the expensive meat that you can only get in stores, costs an arm and a leg, and you'd never know that I'm asking you for it unless you had a guide or this game was translated better. To put it simply, the translation for this game makes it obscenely difficult to figure out what the hell to do. "Master using it and you can have it." How the hell does "Mastering" a sword translate to, "Have enough hearts to get this sword." The game has way too many of these kinds of translation errors, and it makes things worse.

Everything is so damn expensive. I have no problem with grinding money most of the time, mainly because it's a lot faster in pretty much every other game that requires it. In RPGs, level grinding usually yields tons of money in the time it takes to level up once. Granted, Zelda isn't an RPG, but having money drop so infrequently and in such small quantities. The amount of time you have to spend to get enough money for anything drags the game out way too long, especially if you don't know of the secret money moblins so you can get the blue ring and big shield, and even with those, you still need to 6 heart and the white sword.

Last edited: