Game Dev Discussion

Bboy9451

Kat
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
My own little world
This is a thread for you to show off any kind of game dev stuff you've been up to, whether it be a gif, video, soundtrack, screenshot, concept art, or just a description of your game. (Please keep large images and gifs in a spoiler)

I'm currently working on my first game, a little 2D platformer called Platforms (Creative name huh?)
I have 4 short gifs showcasing what I have so far, which can be found below.
1: Homing Turret 2: Gravity Swapping 3: Death Animation 4: A Bit of Gameplay
I have other mechanics planned for it as well, such as laser turrets, a dash ability, and a bit more. If you're interested, here's the Trello page for it.
All feebdack, good or bad, is very appreciated!

Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

Chris

What if she swore off muffins after the incident?
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Not bad at all, especially for a first game. I'm guessing this would eventually be a "get from A to B" style, either as a series of one-screen obstacle courses or a continuous scrolling level with checkpoints or something. I have two suggestions:

* The death animation should be at least twice as fast as it is in the demonstration. This style of game should have as little downtime as possible.
* If you weren't already planning it, I think you should use anti-aliasing. When you have free-rotating objects like your turrets, a sharp pixelated style doesn't look so good.

Bboy9451

Kat
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
My own little world
Not bad at all, especially for a first game. I'm guessing this would eventually be a "get from A to B" style, either as a series of one-screen obstacle courses or a continuous scrolling level with checkpoints or something. I have two suggestions:

* The death animation should be at least twice as fast as it is in the demonstration. This style of game should have as little downtime as possible.
* If you weren't already planning it, I think you should use anti-aliasing. When you have free-rotating objects like your turrets, a sharp pixelated style doesn't look so good.
Oh there's anti-aliasing, I was just recording in a really low bitrate and all for the gifs.
And yeah, i plan on making the animation only 0.5 seconds instead of a whole second.

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
Death animation seems a bit lanky (to be fair, there is no sound yet), and not exactly sure if the gif's fault, (probably it is), but the projectiles are a bit hard to follow.

Bboy9451

Kat
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
My own little world
Death animation seems a bit lanky (to be fair, there is no sound yet), and not exactly sure if the gif's fault, (probably it is), but the projectiles are a bit hard to follow.
It is mostly from the gif's low res and bitrate, also i changed the color of projectiles to a dark-ish red that stands out more in both the normal, and anti-gravity modes.
As far as the death animation, I'll see how it looks at 2x speed, and then work from there.

Bboy9451

Kat
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
My own little world
I have a Itch.io page dedicated to showcasing/selling games/prototypes I have made. Kroyer Designed Games - itch.io

I also just released a prototype of a board game I made a while back up on the Steam Workshop for Tabletop Simulator. I could use playtesters for it.
Steam Workshop :: Cabs and Trams (Prototype)
"Dollar Dungeon: The first one is free" 10/10 best title.
I assume you're using RPG Maker MV for those? or is it VX Ace? I used to use VX Ace, and then I used MV, it's a good starting point but I don't recommend using it for making full games, as some of it's systems are very dated and limiting.
Also I'd love to try out that board game, but I don't have tabletop sim. I got no friends to play it with. ;_;

A88mph

Game Maker and Starship Captain.
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
a88mph.itch.io
"Dollar Dungeon: The first one is free" 10/10 best title.
I assume you're using RPG Maker MV for those? or is it VX Ace? I used to use VX Ace, and then I used MV, it's a good starting point but I don't recommend using it for making full games, as some of it's systems are very dated and limiting.
Also I'd love to try out that board game, but I don't have tabletop sim. I got no friends to play it with. ;_;
It was on VX Ace, and I'm waiting for MV to have an awesome sale price on Steam.

This game was actually made on a dare when I was frustrated with the slow progress of the development of "Boundless Unity" (also on the Itch.io page).
I took to using RPG Maker on the simple prospect that I cannot program to save my life. The only issue I have with it is the fact that getting more out of your games involves manually implementing scripts into your game.

MV however seems to make that even easier so I may have a better time with that. Once I have MV, I plan on rebuilding BU from the ground up. Unless I can find a great programmer that can use Unity of Unreal, in which case it will be made in that.

Bboy9451

Kat
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
My own little world
I took to using RPG Maker on the simple prospect that I cannot program to save my life.
Before you go spending money on MV, (It'll probably go on sale during the next Steam sale coming on Oct. 29th.) You should try the free version of Construct 2, you don't have to manually type out all of the programming, and it's not limiting at all, I recommend this starting tutorial that comes with it, and after that I recommend just playing around with the program on your own to see if you like it.
Also, here's an example of a fantastic game made with Construct 2, just to give ya an idea what the engine is capable of.

Reactions: A88mph