1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Them's Fightin' Herds is now out on Early Access!
    You can buy it from these links.
    Humble Bundle // Steam

3. Current Early Access Patch: 2-6-2019

Forum Improvements log

Discussion in 'News' started by ManeSix, Feb 13, 2016.

1. 0Zero100

0Zero100 Alpaka Representative/Robot Family Bear
    Crowdfund Backer

*Checks the faces tab*
    We seriously need a disappointed face, because that's what I would give you Anu.

2. Rich Jammer

Rich Jammer By the Numbers Accountant
    Backers' Beta Tester

Let me put this to the test.
    :Pom:is :eek:.
    :Velvet:is :cool:.
    :Tianhuo:is :mad:.

It works! Bwahahaha! Time to commit some emoticon EVIL upon the world.

3. Avering

Avering Pew-Pew
    Backers' Beta Tester

:eek: 2.gif
    Seems alright.

4. rod7post

rod7post sorry for my english! :c

the site is so slow for me when I login and sometimes not load D: I was create a new account for testing, and work good :'c

anuka!! you currupter my account since you ban me </3

5. 0Zero100

Crowdfund Backer

Probably not the case man, I mean, I got banned and I don't suffer slow site loading. It must just be you dude.

6. rod7post

rod7post sorry for my english! :c

I delete cache, cockies, history, use ccleaner D: and reinstall google chrome :c and only have this problem in this account, on firefox and chrome, and I was 15 min for login, enter a this thread and don't quote you my friends @0Zero100 for I would be forever :c

only in this account I have this problem D:

7. Anukan

Anukan Three Worn Words
    Staff Member Mane6 Developer

Improvements

• Playing with words. No particular reason.

8. Leatherface

Leatherface Backers' Beta Tester
    Backers' Beta Tester

Nice to see you've got a clear plan of action Anu.

9. 0Zero100

Crowdfund Backer

Ah, I see the Weekly Mane6 Scrabble tournaments have been going well.

Shadow of Death likes this.
  10. Rich Jammer

Backers' Beta Tester

There's an issue where threads I watch when a new post shows up it doesn't notify me in the alerts. Maybe it's an issue cause I watch alot of threads.

11. Firekirby

Firekirby Star Warrior
    Backers' Beta Tester

This is actually a well known issue with the XenForo system. It's not that you're not getting alerts when you should be, it's that the system doesn't believe you should be getting alerts of new posts because there are still unread posts in the thread. (if it gave you an alert for each post in a thread, your alerts would flood super quickly) One of the most common points at which this has happened to me are when multiple people post before you check the alert, causing posts to roll over to the next page, and accidentally forgetting to check that page. There are a few other cases where it can happen of course (i.e. checking alerts without reading the thread) but that's the one I've run into the most.
    Now, as for how I deal with it, I have two fail-safes. First off, I have the forum send e an e-mail every time a post is made to a thread I follow and don't want to miss activity on. Does this flood my email? Yes, but I'd prefer to be flooded than miss a thread post, so I deal. (plus, sorting them and clearing them out is super easy since they're all from the same address) And second, every once in a while, whenever I check my alerts, I also pop open the "watched threads" tab. This tab shows any thread you follow that has an unread post. I can't tell you how many times I've caught a thread there that I wasn't getting alerts from, it really is quite useful. That said, I think there might be an expiration date on threads shown there, so for super old threads, you may have to hit the "Show all watched threads" button to check activity when you've been away for a while.
    And for the record, no, this isn't a thing that's easily fixable. It's easier for everyone if users simply learn alternate ways to check the forums for activity, of which XenForo has many.

Sutekh94 likes this.
  12. Anukan

Anukan Three Worn Words

Just a heads up. Forums will be having a bit of downtime later tonight (around 11pm or so pacific) for maintenance and platform upgrades.

They ideally shouldn't be down for too long, but we'll see what happens.

13. Anukan

Anukan Three Worn Words

Upgrade done. Thanks for your patience, and as always, please report any bugs and issues that inevitably cropped up with this version.

14. Avering

Avering Pew-Pew
    Backers' Beta Tester

Velvet seems to have stepped down from best ungulate. Also, I was curious what was that syntax error the site mentioned in the morning.
    [​IMG]

Firekirby and Rich Jammer like this.
  15. Rich Jammer

Backers' Beta Tester

Obviously Anu's doing.
    But who was the one who made Velvet the best ungulate?

Also, is that facebook recommend thingy on the bottom of the page new?

#55 Rich Jammer, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  16. 0Zero100

Crowdfund Backer

Yes.

17. Anukan

Anukan Three Worn Words

While the maintenance was going on? - Upgrade is performed by overwriting about 3000 files on the server, then "installing" the new version. Syntax errors are in this case caused by critical old files (javascript refused to go in nicely and some... buttering... was required) being caught in the process of overwriting when they're called to draw the page. One file is saying "do this!", and getting confused when the other doesn't do what it's meant to. Thus, error.

Yes. Should also be a twitter thing somewhere. I'll see what happened to that.

18. 0Zero100

Crowdfund Backer

Facebook made SURE that that bird would 'tweet' no more...

19. Anukan

Anukan Three Worn Words

There. Bottom of pages now should have a Twitter/google/facebook link. I don't particularly expect to see much use out of these, but I'm not really a social media person, so who knows!

20. Anukan

Anukan Three Worn Words

Improvements

• TFH emoticon set 5/6 upgraded to latest Lobby-sprite iteration.
      • Also. Bark.
        • :puppy:

21. Avering

Avering Pew-Pew
    Backers' Beta Tester

nomli-nobg.gif
    ....:Velvet:.... Oh, snap. BRB
    spideer rev2.gif It would've been unbecoming of the forum not to create a new version
    Ps.: Where's dogsprite?
    --Edit--
    :puppy: oh, nevermind, I can make it work.

#61 Avering, Jul 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
    Delusional Dreamer likes this.
  22. 0Zero100

Crowdfund Backer

:Paprika:
    That is all.

23. Anukan

Anukan Three Worn Words

Now fully updated!

• :Tianhuo:

24. 0Zero100

Crowdfund Backer

Oh, that George! He's always been a grumpy grumperson!

25. Avering

Avering Pew-Pew
    Backers' Beta Tester

Okay, I have a weird bug on phone. Basically no matter what link I click, what I write in the adress bar, the forums only show the main page. I literally clicked every option on the site that's not the share button, and while the adress bar do change, it only loads the main page.

26. Anukan

Anukan Three Worn Words

That's a new one. Throw me a PM with model, browser (+version), when it started, screencaps, etc, and I'll look into it.

27. Avering

Avering Pew-Pew
    Backers' Beta Tester

It.... fixed itself. Wow, even your presence was enough. Due to this I assume it was caused on my end, so should I still send all kinds of stuff? (Pics are out as I can't really recreate it) I'll keep my eye open if it pops up again though, it haunted me all day.

28. Anukan

Anukan Three Worn Words

No idea man.

Off the top of my head, leading theory is that JS was getting stuck on the loading of the page, which can be either an error on your end or the forum's. Backend error logs aren't throwing any clues on this issue, and I've not done anything in that zone, so...

Still, if it happens again, throw me a PM and I'll take a closer look.

29. Avering

Avering Pew-Pew
    Backers' Beta Tester

This is a weird one.

Instead of having that like/quote/reply bar firmly rooted at the bottom of the comment, it seems to move up and down when I open or close the spoiler tag. (It was beta's comment that made me notice this, that's why I'm using it as a image)
    upload_2016-9-28_21-41-14.png
    upload_2016-9-28_21-41-54.png

And it seems for short comments for users without a signature, that bottom bar "floats"
    upload_2016-9-28_21-48-48.png
    Having a like also seems to fix it.

.....I should've used shorter images.

30. Firekirby

Firekirby Star Warrior
    Backers' Beta Tester

Seems to me like that might be intentional. After all, the same happens with your comment when the spoiler is expanded. It's likely just a way the system prevents messages from covering over that portion of the UI when a spoiler is expanded.

31. Anukan

Anukan Three Worn Words

No, that does look at least partially like a bug. Elements sliding is understandable as a "feature", but stuff shouldn't be getting covered by other stuff.

I just upgraded the forum platform and the parent layout theme. It's possible a file might have not merged properly, or it could well be an actual error on the new css files.

I'll be giving it a look when I have time. For now, I'm assuming it's not entirely forum breaking and in need of an immediate emergency fix.

32. OCisbestungulate

OCisbestungulate Always watching you
    Backers' Beta Tester

There seems to be a minor bug when one is typing in italics. Occasionally, a single pixel or two from a letter will remain in the text box after deleting the text. It is a rather minor, non-system breaking thing, but I figure you'd like to know about it.

33. Anukan

Anukan Three Worn Words

I applied a quickfix by commenting out a bit of code in the relevant elements, but I need to look a bit deeper into the usage of the stuff I just took out, so there MIGHT be some unintended side-effects. I've tested it with Firefox, Chrome and Edge on Win7/10, seems to be working fine. Please report any weirdness happening there.

Browser and OS?; If you can get me some screencaps, better. It might be fixable, or it might be a browser-based rendering error, would have to check.

34. OCisbestungulate

Backers' Beta Tester

Firefox, Win 7 Home Premium.
    error.png
    I typed " f " a number of times, then held down backspace. It seems the problem is when one italicizes the text, and uses the taller letters. Unsure about the other text modes (or whatever they're called).

35. Avering

Avering Pew-Pew
    Backers' Beta Tester

It doesn't happen to me on chrome at the very least

36. Shadow of Death

Shadow of Death Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
    Backers' Beta Tester

I can't seem to replicate it. Not with ' f ', or with other tall letters like ' l ' or ' b '. Not in the short comment box, or the full one. It's possible it's your copy specifically that's bugging out.

Firefox 49.0.1 x64 | Windows 10

37. Anukan

Anukan Three Worn Words

et al.

I can't seem to replicate it on any firefox between 43.0b9 (my work copy), and 49.0.1, on either Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 7 Ultimate (x64 for both), in either the quick reply or the full one, and from above reports, it's not present on either chrome or Win10. Haven't tested Win8 so far, but... Yeah, this is sounding like an individual issue rather than a forum one. I'll continue looking into it, though.

38. OCisbestungulate

Backers' Beta Tester

Sorry for the delayed response, but I'm running with Firefox 49.0.1. Perhaps then it has something to do with my monitor. I'd wager my GPU, but I switched recently, and it did the little dot thing on both cards.

If nothing else, I suppose I'll get to be a special snowflake with my mysterious floating dots.

39. Rich Jammer

Backers' Beta Tester

I've come into a little bug. It's nothing big but it seems new member's number of messages don't show up under their name even though it's evident that they have at least one message.
    Messages Bug.jpg
    It seems to come and go.

This is on Chrome in incognito mode on a Windows 10 PC.

40. Sutekh94

Sutekh94 Veteran of being taken over by robots or something
    Crowdfund Backer

I've noticed the forum doesn't count posts made under the off topic section. That's probably what you're seeing.

Firekirby likes this.