Foenum Meets Earth

Poppun

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Jun 9, 2016
I thought this would be a fun thing to talk about; whenever a piece of media with animal characters (or creatures based on an animal, like certain Pokemon) catches my interest I often research the real life animals they're based on and I love when they slip in little nods to their actual traits and behaviours (Did you know that there's a 50% chance that an Octopus will drive a vehicle if they have access to the driver's seat?)

I'm planning to spot light each species, but don't let my posts limit you, what parallels have you noticed or hope will show up?

To start off (spoilered for length)

Paprika-Alpacas:

Alpacas have been domesticated for so long that there are actually no known wild Alpacas (The Alpake clan are implied to be unusual since there's a city)

Interestingly the areas the Alpake clan live in are similar to the environment favoured by Vicuna, which are believed to be a parent species to domesticated Alpacas and Llamas

Huacaya is a name of one of two breeds of Alpaca and has shorter, sponge-like wool that grows close to the body. The other breed, Suri, has long strait hair.

Domesticated Alpacas will sometimes be used as guard animals for smaller livestock, including Sheep and Calves.

They have quite a few ways of defending themselves from predators as well, including kicking with their front legs, jumping at/on them, spitting and attacking as a group. The predator they're best at keeping away are Foxes since many Fox species dislike the scent of Alpacas (and vice versa) so they'll often avoid each other naturally.

Alpacas have high pitched voices....Consider who Paprika started her fighting game career as; her vocal range could easily stay the same. Alpacas actually make some really odd sounds as well, including an alarm noise that sounds like a bit like a squeaky toy; even the males make a noise that sounds like a bird when trying to be intimidating. (Personally I think it could be funny if Paprika made a squeaking noise when she's knocked into something)

Ironically, considering one of her attacks, there are a large number of plants that are poisonous to Alpacas, including buckwheat, agave, buttercups, and acorns

Alpacas aren't especially strong, some Llamas are bred for carrying heavy loads while Alpacas generally aren't. This shines an interesting light on a few things including the fact the the book of lore chapter mentions that they only carry what they need; assuming they kept this aspect of Alpaca biology, they may do this not only because of their lifestyle, but because they literally aren't able to carry more than a few essentials. This also puts an interesting spin on Paprika herself since she's one of the most physically strong characters in the game and was able to effortlessly ascend a cliff with a large number of non-essential items. Simply put, she's unnaturally strong for her species.

Alpaca fleece does not contain lanolin like a Sheep's does, which also means it dos not repel water

Typically Alpacas only need to eat 1-2% of their body weight each day, which leads to an interesting irony....

Stunthead

Springbok when
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
New Zealand
Wow. What a pointless thing to discuss...
I love it. More please. I'm not being snarky, these really are my favorite types of discussion.
Domesticated Alpacas will sometimes be used as guard animals for smaller livestock, including Sheep and Calves.
Aww. This makes me want to see Paprika take on a big sister role to Arizona and Pom.
:Paprika:

Talen-Jei

Gureato Daze
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 8, 2016
Louisiana
Wow. What a pointless thing to discuss...
I love it. More please. I'm not being snarky, these really are my favorite types of discussion.

Aww. This makes me want to see Paprika take on a big sister role to Arizona and Pom.
:Paprika:
We definitely need to see this happen in-game... When they're not beating the crap out of each other.

TigerKirby215

I should be doing work right now
Crowdfund Backer
Mar 29, 2016
As I have already stated, Tianhuo (天火) translates to "Skyfire" in Chinese. :Tianhuo:
I've made myself a TFH Longma OC it's basically Scootaloo, but for Tianhuo and named him Ying Xiong (英雄), which translates into "hero".
Yes I'm a weeb who knows how to use Google Translate.

Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

Delusional Dreamer

Dreamer of Delusional Dreams
Sep 29, 2016
The Moon.
steamcommunity.com
As I have already stated, Tianhuo (天火) translates to "Skyfire" in Chinese. :Tianhuo:
I've made myself a TFH Longma OC it's basically Scootaloo, but for Tianhuo and named him Ying Xiong (英雄), which translates into "hero".
Yes I'm a weeb who knows how to use Google Translate.
So, I'm going to guess then that the Tian Shan mountains mean something like Sky Rock? That's pretty neat, I didn't really think about the meaning behind any of the characters names (except for the fact that oleander is apparently a plant related to witches.)

TigerKirby215

I should be doing work right now
Crowdfund Backer
Mar 29, 2016
So, I'm going to guess then that the Tian Shan mountains mean something like Sky Rock? That's pretty neat, I didn't really think about the meaning behind any of the characters names (except for the fact that oleander is apparently a plant related to witches.)
Arizona and cow co. are named after states of the united category.
Velvet's co. are named after Santa's reindeer because names are hard.
Oleander seems to be demonic witch plant.
Paprika is spicy. :^)
Tian... see previous comment.
Pom? IDK.

Delusional Dreamer

Sep 29, 2016
The Moon.
steamcommunity.com
Arizona and cow co. are named after states of the united category.
Velvet's co. are named after Santa's reindeer because names are hard.
Oleander seems to be demonic witch plant.
Paprika is spicy. :^)
Tian... see previous comment.
Pom? IDK.
I wonder why specifically Arizona. It doesn't have the most cattle. It has a desert, which isn't related to best cow. It also has prairie dogs, but that again is unrelated.

Pom's name is simple. A pom-pom is one of those things cheerleaders wave around right? Think about it, what does a cheerleader do? They sit on the sidelines and cheer for the team! They don't directly intervene or contribute in the sport. What does Pom do? She uses her puppies to fight. Maybe it's a stretch, but I say Pom doesn't really get involved, it's her puppies that do all the fighting. She doesn't directly intervene! Pom is a cheerleader! It all makes sense!

Just kidding, that's ridiculous. Pom is clearly a World War Two era anti-aircraft cannon.
Pom-pom:

Pom:

Delusional Dreamer

Sep 29, 2016
The Moon.
steamcommunity.com
I think I made a joke about it waaay back when. P.s.: The pom-pom is actually a pre ww1 (not by much) ship defense cannon. It pommed.
Really? I thought it was WW2, it's not rare that I think wrong though.

Anyway, getting back on topic, I know that a pompom is like a puft or ball that tends to be attached to clothing (like Avering's Christmas Hat for example), maybe it has something to do with the sort of bulge of wool on the top of her head somehow?
:Pom:

Delusional Dreamer

Sep 29, 2016
The Moon.
steamcommunity.com
I can't tell if people are just pretending to not know the real reason as a joke. Eh, if that's the case, joke's over.
Pom is named after her hairstyle. A "pompadour." Pom-padour.
Oh yeah, they talked about this and Johnny Bravo in a stream. I am not good at things, sorry.