Fire Emblem

EpicBleye

Waifu Stealer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 8, 2016
your dreams.
No Fire Emblem thread yet? With Fates coming out in a week?
This must be rectified.

Anyway, I've been hearing that Conquest's and Revelations's stories are disappointing, but apparently Conquest has the best gameplay in the entire series. So that's a huge plus.

Midnight_Blitz

The Reason Why We Can't Have Nice Things
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Somewhere, Out There
I've been hearing that Conquest's and Revelations's stories are disappointing, but apparently Conquest has the best gameplay in the entire series. So that's a huge plus.
Conquest is supposed to have a higher difficulty than Birthright, and Revelations has a difficulty somewhere in between. I don't know much more than that because I'm keeping away from spoilers. However, I'm planning on going Birthright > Conquest > Revelations if all goes well.

Necroceine

One Fiery Birdie
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Connecticut, USA
Anyway, I've been hearing that Conquest's and Revelations's stories are disappointing, but apparently Conquest has the best gameplay in the entire series. So that's a huge plus.
That's too bad, I would have hoped a full game where you get to play the villain would have a good story. I was looking forward to it for breaking the mold a bit. And needless to say Revelations has it in the title that it should be a good story. But eh it's not like Awakening's story was that great. I mean many of the characters were. But the story overall was just decent or good imo. I'll probably still get Conquest first like I planned.

EpicBleye

Waifu Stealer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 8, 2016
your dreams.
. But eh it's not like Awakening's story was that great. I mean many of the characters were. But the story overall was just decent or good imo.
To be fair, the Fire Emblem series as a whole doesn't have that great of stories. I think it's just more noticeable this time around because they were advertising the story so much, but ended up doing pretty average.

Another thing to note is that I've been told that Conquest's characters are all really good and interesting despite whatever story issues.

linkster

Certified Paprika Main™
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Not too excited for Fates right now, since I usually wind up being about a year or two late to new releases. I grabbed Awakening recently, and I really like it. Currently working on getting some proper skill setups for the kids.

SquiddyWiddy

Your Local Squid
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
I can't wait to play Fates :)

...is what I would be saying if my 3ds wasn't messed up. Dang it :(

Ambris

Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
To be fair, the Fire Emblem series as a whole doesn't have that great of stories.
I would beg to differ. I've always considered the stories of Fire Emblem to be one of it's best selling points. More so recently, and of course there are always exceptions. But for the most part, the story is half the reason I play Fire Emblem.

In particular, the Radiance story line (both games put together) was downright epic, moving, and inspiring.

Octavia

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
The Tellius saga is basically the best fire emblem games to come out imo. ive played them both a disgusting amount because of how much i love them. Path of Radiance is possibly one of my 'most replayed games' of all time. Also Meg 4 lyf. Meg is cute and awesome and I will always use her. I dont care how bad everyone tries to make her out to be. She is forever my Alondite wielder.

Im hoping Fates will be good games and the localization will be good.

Reactions: Ambris

Ambris

Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
The Tellius saga is basically the best fire emblem games to come out imo. ive played them both a disgusting amount because of how much i love them. Path of Radiance is possibly one of my 'most replayed games' of all time. Also Meg 4 lyf. Meg is cute and awesome and I will always use her. I dont care how bad everyone tries to make her out to be. She is forever my Alondite wielder.
I'm glad someone else liked them as much as I did.

Franko

J.F. Rey Eyewear ᴷᵃᶻ ᴳᵉᵃʳ
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Longtime fan of Fire Emblem here. Got into the series through Path of Radiance because "Oh look it's that one game Mike from the Smash Bros is from" and to this day PoR has stayed my favorite Fire Emblem to date. I've played all the games currently released in the west at this point, though I plan on skipping Fates for a while. A lot of Fates' new features put me off and prevented me from preordering(Though you should see me now that they're saying Conquest's got the best gameplay in the series :( ) but I plan on picking it up eventually.

Currently playing through Awakening, I wish the characters were a bit less one-dimensional but the story seems decent as of Chapter 19.

linkster

Certified Paprika Main™
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Talking about favorites, I was introduced to the series through Sacred Stones, and I have played it every chance I got. I still remember turning Lute into a god before the endgame, complete with an S Rank in dark magic. It was nice seeing the world map and encounters return in Awakening.

Ambris

Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Longtime fan of Fire Emblem here. Got into the series through Path of Radiance because "Oh look it's that one game Mike from the Smash Bros is from" and to this day PoR has stayed my favorite Fire Emblem to date. I've played all the games currently released in the west at this point, though I plan on skipping Fates for a while. A lot of Fates' new features put me off and prevented me from preordering(Though you should see me now that they're saying Conquest's got the best gameplay in the series :( ) but I plan on picking it up eventually.

Currently playing through Awakening, I wish the characters were a bit less one-dimensional but the story seems decent as of Chapter 19.
Yeah, I overall felt that Awakening was lackluster compared to the Radiance games. Not terrible, and had some really cool bits. But overall I was a tad disappointed by the end of it.

And I get a little bothered by the fact that it's the single most successful Fire Emblem ever, though I think that that is just because it was the first for a ton of people. Something happened, and a ton of people who never played the series picked up it and loved it. Which is fair I guess. It's a good game, just not as good as some others.

Necroceine

One Fiery Birdie
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Connecticut, USA
Yeah Awakening was the first I played, aside from some of the original. I would like to go back and play the others. I think the main reason I didn't when they were released is because I never saw them in stores. Heck I didn't even know there were Fire Emblem games on consoles until a year or two ago.

EpicBleye

Waifu Stealer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 8, 2016
your dreams.
Awakening is my first as well, and I watched playthroughs of some of the other games.

I'd love to play Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, but that's dropping 350 dollars on a gamecube game and wii game, and I can use that money to buy other things. Maybe some day.

LockeRobster

Drawfriend & ALPHA Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Sydney, Australia
lokerobster.tumblr.com
So im new to the series. My interest was piqued when I saw Awakening in stores and i heard about the upcoming release of Fates. My mate told me it's like Advance Wars set in Medieval times and that characters can be killed similar to Valkyria Chronicles and i was sold. I plan to buy Awakening and Fates, but I'm not sure where to start.

I downlo... aquired Shadow Dragon for the DS but im not sure if that should be my starting point?

Ambris

Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
The Advance Wars comparison is fair, since it's actually made the very same people, and has similar gameplay dynamics. I'm not too familiar with Advance Wars though, so I can't comment further. As for which game to start with

• I would blatantly express my bias and suggest Path of Radiance. I personally think it and it's sequel are the best in the series; But if you lack a Gamecube or a Wii, that might problematic.

• After that, I would strongly recommend the first one for the GBA, however you can get it. It's called Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken, which translates to "Blazing Sword", but here in the states it's just called Fire Emblem with no subtitle, being the first one we got in the west. (FYI, this game features Eliwood, who is the father of Roy from Smash Bros, as a main character. Roy himself stars in his own game that hasn't been released outside of Japan at this time. Also Lyn, the assist trophy stars in this game too). I've replayed this one multiple times and I consider it a timeless classic that never gets old.

• Sacred Stones for the GBA isn't a bad starting place either, but it doesn't stand out storywise, and has a few gameplay mechanics that aren't consistent with the rest of the series.

• Shadow Dragon might be an okay place to start as well. Just understand that it is essentially a remake of the first game in the series, and in spite of updates, it felt kind dated to me. It's still a good game though. Also stars Marth. Though now that I think about it, I might recommend that you play Shadow Dragon before Awakening, since they actually take place in the same world (albeit thousands of years apart).

• I don't know much about Fates yet, other than there are apparently several versions of it. Might be best to avoid those shenanigans until you more familiar with the series?
But at the end of the day, Fire Emblem is remarkably consistent in style and presentation, and the stories are largely self-contained so it doesn't matter too much where you start. Seems like most newcomers have started with Awakening and love it dearly (I personally thought it was good, but not great. YMMV).

I hope that helps! Lemme know what you end up choosing.

Octavia

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
So im new to the series. My interest was piqued when I saw Awakening in stores and i heard about the upcoming release of Fates. My mate told me it's like Advance Wars set in Medieval times and that characters can be killed similar to Valkyria Chronicles and i was sold. I plan to buy Awakening and Fates, but I'm not sure where to start.

I downlo... aquired Shadow Dragon for the DS but im not sure if that should be my starting point?
Acquire the means to play Path of Radiance and its sequel Radiant Dawn. They are by far the best in the series.

Advance Wars is made by the same company, and they are both strategy war games, but they are very different kinds of games. Advance Wars is a lot smaller scale story-wise (except for maybe Days of Ruin, but even then I dont think it holds a candle to Fire Emblem). And the emphasis is on building many expendable faceless units using resources. Fire Emblem has a much bigger emphasis on story. Every unit is personalized and has their own backstory. They -are- the characters. Fire Emblem is also an RPG, with leveling and stat gains, while all the units are more or less static in Advance Wars.

And... I was very disapointed in Shadow Dragon. I couldnt really finish it. As Ambris said, it felt really dated.

Last edited:

Ambris

Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Ouch

Well, here is to hoping that they'll release it on virtual store in the near future. It would be a smart idea, considering how popular FE is getting lately.

So for now let's move on to Rekka no Ken--

FRICK

I guess you can get it used for a reasonable price. . .but you know. Used. I had no idea these games are so hard to get a hole of now. Makes me upset that mine broke--Though I still have both the Radiance games in working order at least.

Well dude, you might just wanna jump straight into Awakening. Don't actually bother with Shadow Dragon for now, play it afterword if you're curious, but Awakening if a far better game and first impressions are important.

Franko

J.F. Rey Eyewear ᴷᵃᶻ ᴳᵉᵃʳ
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Ouch

Well, here is to hoping that they'll release it on virtual store in the near future. It would be a smart idea, considering how popular FE is getting lately.

So for now let's move on to Rekka no Ken--

FRICK

I guess you can get it used for a reasonable price. . .but you know. Used. I had no idea these games are so hard to get a hole of now. Makes me upset that mine broke--Though I still have both the Radiance games in working order at least.

Well dude, you might just wanna jump straight into Awakening. Don't actually bother with Shadow Dragon for now, play it afterword if you're curious, but Awakening if a far better game and first impressions are important.
For the record Rekka no Ken's on the Wii U virtual console for 8 bucks

fah_q2

Just some guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I've been thinking of trying out other fire emblem games. The only FE i've ever played was the GBA game.
>mfw game costs more than the console.

The sequal is $120 - $180.
There's always Dolphin.

Ambris

Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
AAAAAAaa I wanna get Fates but I just don't have the money. :/

ILikeKirbys

Puffball Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2016
I got Fates yesterday (Conquest), and it's rather fun. I like the characters (though I also like Hoshido's), there are more objectives than just KILL EVERYTHING, and the difficulty is great after Awakening (I like Awakening, but it's just too easy sometimes. NOT A PROBLEM HERE).

A word of advice though...
Conquest gets quite hard around Chapter 10.

It's a Defend-This-Area-For-11-Turns mission, and you have chokepoints (at first just two, but it opens up to four fairly soonish, and you have to watch out for the Sky Knights since they can go over the water, letting them manuever around the land-based chokepoints) and ballistae (two, plus a magic-ballista-thingy, so bring Odin/Nyx and Niles, and also Mozu if you made her an Archer (which you should, in my opinion, because she struggles with taking hits, so it's better to keep her in a class that doesn't get attacked as often) to man those). It's fairly simple unless you want to get all the villages (which you should, though it's optional so don't feel like you need to, just grab the two villages at the top and decide on the lower two as you go), in which case it can get a bit tricky.

Takumi's the boss on this map, and he's sitting on a Dragon Vein (they let certain characters alter the map. Takumi is one of these characters. This will be important later), but he won't move so you don't need to worry about him moving up to punch some holes in your defensive formation. Also, Hinata and Oboro are waiting on the sides (annoyingly, Oboro's able to attack whoever you send to the lower right-side village, so make sure your village-visitor can survive her), and they're probably a fair bit stronger than everyone not named Takumi on this map, but they won't move unless you go into their range (and I never went into their ranges except to have Camilla visit the lower-right village, and I Rescue-Staff'd her out before ending my turn, so I dunno if they'll actually move or not, but they probably will). Also, prepare for many reinforcements, some of whom can fly (so they can, as mentioned previously, go over the water and around the chokepoints; eliminate these as soon as they're in range, because between their ability to ignore chokepoints and large movement range they'll reach the area you're defending quickly if not addressed as soon as possible).

For party composition, I recommend that you bring Corrin (because you must, and he/she's probably a solid fighter so he'll come in handy wherever you put him; the left side is a good spot for him, though Corrin can work anywhere since he's fairly versatile), Felicia and Elise (healers are very valuable, and knife attack stat drops can come in handy if nobody around Felicia needs healing), Odin/Nyx (for the magic-ballista-thingy, since it's quite useful for controlling the left and a small portion of the lower area of the map), Niles and Archer!Mozu (for ballistae support, and also to slaughter those annoying Sky Knights; a Heart Seal'll cost you a bit, but it's worth it to have two bow-users) and Effie (defensive wall on a defensive map, need I say more?). Other good choices include Arthur (lots of lances on this map, so he'll get mileage out of his weapon triangle advantage, but he might get critted due to his crap luck), Silas (he's good for putting on the left side to block it, since he uses Swords, which frees Corrin up to help elsewhere, though Silas's ability to use Lances and increased movement range over Corrin can make him a bit more useful elsewhere than Corrin; he's not wholly needed, but you probably won't regret bringing him along) Azura (guard her very carefully, especially if your Azura is as squishy as mine is (seriously, I think she still has 16 HP at the end of Chapter 12), but her extra-turn-granting is quite useful, and she can finish off enemies in a pinch (only as a last resort)), and Villager!Mozu (she's not as helpful as Archer!Mozu, but you can bring her along to train her up if you have an extra slot on your team). Beyond them, bring who you're comfortable with (though if your Odin and Nyx are both fragile, bring the less squishy one; don't bring both unless they're both kinda durable, since they'll probably get attacked at some point).

From the start, have someone with a sword (I used Mercenary!Silas thanks to a Heart Seal, you could use Cavalier!Silas or Corrin) rush off to the upper-left village (contains 10000 Gold. You want this) on their way to the left-most wall, which will be broken by enemies after a few turns, so you want to get over there and stop them at the wall. Also send Elise that way, to patch them up when they get hurt. Additionally, a couple of Oni Savages start on the other side of that leftmost wall I mentioned, so have Odin/Nyx pelt them with the magic-ballista. On the right side, have Niles/Archer!Mozu go to the upper-right village (contains a Master Seal. You want this) on their way to the right-hand ballista, and have Effie go with them, since the bottom has axe- and lance-users that Effie won't be too useful agaist, while the right side has Archers who can barely scratch her so she can block them off from attacking Niles/Mozu), and have the, defend that side. In the center, park Corrin or Arthur on the right-side chokepoint, and have Felicia heal your blocker as needed. Whoever out of Niles and Mozu isn't manning the right side needs to run down and man the central ballista. Additionally, if you only have one bow-user, use them for the center ballista, it's far more important than the right-side one (and if this is the case, send someone out along the right side to back Effie up; not Azura or Villager!Mozu, she'll get killed in one or two arrows to the face). Eventually, a hole will be opened up on the center-left wall, so smash those intruders (mostly lance-users, but also ninjas, so be mindful of any stat drops they cause) with the rest of your party (be careful not to enter Hinata's range during this, since he won't move if he can't attack you). After defending the center-left wall, visit the lower-left village (don't remember what's in it, but hey, free stuff).

After a few turns, you'll get three new party members around your starting point. These are Beruka on the left, Selena on the right, and Camilla in the center, and I'm going to go into them briefly now.

Beruka is a Wyvern Rider. She can fly and wields Axes. Because she's a flier, she's especially vulnerable to bows, so don't send her to the right. Instead, have her aid in smashing the center-left attackers, or the leftmost-side attackers if Corrin/Silas is having trouble there. She'll be useful to you here, just keep her away from bows (not hard, just don't send her to the right).

Selena is a Mercenary. She wields Swords and has balanced stats. Have her back Effie up on the right side, though she can pitch in elsewhere if Effie doesn't need assistance. Generally a good unit for this chapter.

Camilla is a Malig Knight. She can fly and wields Axes and Magic. She can crush most enemies on this map, and is quite a bit stronger than Beruka, but she doesn't get as much experience out of fights as your other units, so use her sparingly. For this chapter, think of Camilla as a Bag of Dragonite: use her sparingly, and only when absolutely necessary (ie. if you'll fail the mission unless this one enemy dies/is blocked from reaching the need-to-defend tiles), so that your other units can get up to her level. A good use for her is to visit the lower-right village (don't recall its contents either, sorry), since she can probably survive an attack from Oboro (though maybe wait for the final turn to do this, to avoid Oboro suddenly chasing your not-Camilla units).

So, now you've received reinforcements, and you're defending. It's been 7 turns, and it's not that tough unless you get on an unlucky streak, so you're probably wondering to yourself,

"Kirbys, this is easy! Didn't you say this was where Conquest gets hard?"

And Takumi answers,

"SAY GOODBYE TO YOUR CHOKEPOINTS, TRAITOR!"

And removes the water from the map with that Dragon Vein he'd been standing on.

Which doesn't look so bad, at first. After all, it looks like it's just a minor visual difference on the map. It's not like the enemies can just walk on the new dry areas to bypass your chokepoints-
Oh, right. They can. And they do.
And when they do, they'll make a beeline for your previously-safe squishies.
And the exit you're defending.

And with a single move, Takumi turns what was previously a simple defend-the-area chapter into a mad scramble to protect not only the uppermost area of the map (that's where the exit you can't allow enemies to reach are. They're the green tiles), but also to ensure the safety of your less durable units who were previously safely settled behind your stronger units but are now vulnerable.

Welcome to Conquest. It's not gonna be easy.

I feel like I should note that the next chapter is easier, mostly because it's a fairly simple defeat-the-boss map and all of the tough enemies outside of Hinoka can be ignored (unless you're after all of the treasure, then the staff-dude'll annoy you with his HP-halving; don't send any important fighters up the right-hand side until you've exhausted that staff's 3 uses), but Chapter 12 ramps it back up.

So yeah. Overall, I'm loving Conquest so far (only at Chapter 13 right now).

Sorry about the length.

EpicBleye

Waifu Stealer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 8, 2016
your dreams.
I've decided to play birthright first, then conquest.

I like it. Harder than Awakening but it allowed me to get used to the new mechanics of the game. Apparently the end of Birthright is incredibly hard even with capped units, so I'm excited.

Though, i think i liked Awakening's cast more than Birthright's. I haven't even found someone I want to marry.. maybe Selkie.

Octavia

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
I was able to finish Birthright with mostly underleveled units. It does get very challenging towards the end, but it made it all the better when I won out with smart and careful plays.

RIP Rinkah, one of my best units. 1 turn away from beating the chapter she died on. Got killed by a crit zerker axe from full health. She was a super tanky unit too.

Edit: Dwyer was actually the unsung hero of my run. I paired Jakob with Orochi and Dwyer ended up with some insane magic and speed, and was always outspeeding everything. I set him up with a flame shuriken and he basically decimated almost everything while many of my characters struggled to double hit. He didnt get a lot of the glory in the final chapters, but he was instrumental in making sure i didnt get overwhelmed with the dregs that could easily swarm and wipe out characters if i wasnt careful. And this is all on top of being a really amazing healer.

Last edited:

Necroceine

One Fiery Birdie
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Connecticut, USA
I picked up Conquest on launch day and I've been playing hard classic mode sporadically. Chapter 10 is giving me a lot of trouble, but survival chapters usually do. I've only made it to turn seven before losing someone. I think around there I really just need to turtle up. And I tried to last time but the reinforcements that showed up had surrounded Effie and Mozu.

EpicBleye

Waifu Stealer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 8, 2016
your dreams.
I've heard that Chapter 10 is giving a lot of people trouble on Hard/Classic Conquest, so best of luck! I'll probably do the same difficulty when I get to Conquest.. though maybe on Casual rather than Classic due to my schedule.

Right now, I've been playing Hard/Casual Birthright. I don't let anyone die, but I needed the in-battle saves (because of how often I have to stop playing). Though, Casual does prove useful for being able to mindlessly grind if I feel like it (mostly for support). I finished Chapter 15 yesterday, but since then I've been focused on getting all of the child units. I also married Selkie. It's weird to marry a child unit, but none of the adult units stood out to me, and Selkie is enjoyable as a character.

Necroceine

One Fiery Birdie
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Connecticut, USA
I finally beat chapter 10 without losing anyone (significant) Monday. To give you an idea of how much I'm playing, it was only my tenth try where I didn't lose someone early on. I got to round 11 like five times, but the enemy really rushes you towards the end and I kept losing people there. How I finally won was give a bunch of people defense tonics and I cooked a couple defense boosting meals. I also brought in two outrealm units I got from castle invasions. I did lose one of them but that's fine I wasn't going to use them outside of that one chapter anyway.
I'm glad I didn't lower the difficulty because since then it's been a relative cakewalk, back to each occasional death teaching me how to deal with the stage. I'm on chapter 13 now.

EpicBleye

Waifu Stealer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 8, 2016
your dreams.
I've actually moved on to Conquest myself. I'm playing Normal/Casual so I can get through the story, and know what's coming up for when I do my Hard/Classic playthrough.

Chapter 10 was somewhat difficult on that mode, but I suppose that's natural considering this is the first "classic" styled FE game that I've played.

PLOTYNSTYNE

The Omnipotent
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Ah, Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest on Lunatic Classic. Or, as I'm learning to call it, Fire Emblem Fates: "Surprise! Enemy reinforcements in your back line!"

I didn't have much trouble with chapter 10 because of my chosen class and path. Dark Mage with Nosferatu, supported by Felicia, was just able to run out ahead and distract everything in the center for a while, with Effie and a few other units keeping the archers off the back ballista. Then, once I figured out that some of the Sky Knights were just running straight for the goal area and wouldn't attack anything, I used my weak units to block that off. Camilla was able to take out the two more powerful units who I forget the names of.

The only problems I see with using my main character for everything is that A) I like developing my units a lot and B) I'm not sure exactly how viable a single good character will be by the end of the game.

EpicBleye

Waifu Stealer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 8, 2016
your dreams.
It won't be viable at all. You'll definitely need to start grinding other units fast, otherwise it's going to become nearly impossible to win.

Anyway, I'm almost done with Conquest myself. The characters in this game are definitely better than Birthright's. Next up is Revelations, though I am slightly upset that I won't be beating the game for the first time with Anna.

I'm also going to replay all three games at some point in the future on Lunatic. Right now I'm just doing hard or normal difficulty for the story.

Necroceine

One Fiery Birdie
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Connecticut, USA
I'm on chapter 16 now. Tried a few times and I pretty much know what to do now. Last time Peri just got ganged up on a few turns in. She has really low defense for her class.

And speaking of Peri: "You know what'd look good on you? The blood of our enemies." <obviously wife material. What could go wrong?

No one's reached S or A+ rank in my army yet, plenty of A ranks though.

PLOTYNSTYNE

The Omnipotent
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Haaaaaah. Chapter 17, what a godsend.

I won't give any spoilers as to the story, but it involved advancing through choke points and lots of aggressive enemies that didn't wait for me. However, a good number of them were completely unable to damage my main character, so they would just file in in front of him, so I let Mozu (who I turned into an Archer in that chapter) pick them off with a bow.

When I started that chapter, she was about level 4, I think. By the time I finished, she was a level 4 Sniper. Going from the weakest unit in my army to...well, I'm not sure she's *the* most powerful, but it's pretty close. She puts out more guaranteed damage than my main character, but my main character is also much more durable and gets a lot of crits when he doesn't have Nosferatu equipped.

EpicBleye

Waifu Stealer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 8, 2016
your dreams.
Beat Conquest. Characters were all great and definitely better than Birthright's as a whole. The story is better than people give it credit for, but only really holds up if you've played Birthright and are aware that Revelations exists. The ending was interesting, but leads a bit too much into Revelations rather than actually concluding the game's story.

I liked it. I'm definitely excited for Revelations.

Necroceine

One Fiery Birdie
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Connecticut, USA
I finished Chapter 16 and studied the map for 17. It doesn't look like it'll be too hard. Most of the enemies don't seem like a threat compared to previous chapters and I have less reason to rush through as far as I can tell- which probably means I should expect reinforcements. The story's picking up but Awakening still had characters I was able to get more invested in.

I made Mozu an archer back before chapter 11 or something because I wasn't seeing her as that great staying a villager. Once I did she quickly outclassed Niles.

ILikeKirbys

Puffball Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2016
I NEED HELP

Nohr or Hoshido?
Well, have you ever played a Fire Emblem before?

If not, pick Hoshido. It's easier, so you should be able to get a feel for how FE works, as well as Fates's general quirks.

If you have, do you want a challenge? Like, a higher-difficulty, more-like-regular-FE challenge?

If not, pick Hoshido, it's easier.

If you do, pick Nohr. The challenge level is quite a bit higher than Hoshido (partially because you can't grind, partially because gold is limited, partially because it's just harder generally), which makes it fun (not gonna spoil anything, but Chapter 10 is beautiful). At least, if you like that sort of thing.

Hope that helps.

Octavia

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Of course, you should eventually get all 3 of them. But yes, generally what ILikeKirbys said is correct