Final Fantasy

Super jorsour64

gotta him em' with dat Hogwa$h
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Thought this was appropriate as the Uncovered event for XV was a few days ago. What's your favorite game(s) in the series? Are you excited for XV at all? I've only played VI, VII, and most of X

fah_q2

Just some guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I played the platinum demo a few days ago. It was more of a tech demo with the ability to change the weather and time of day. It was fun to mess around in.

My favorite game in the series is FFX with IV being in second place. I still need to try VI and IX. I hope that XV will turn out to be good.

Reactions: Super jorsour64

Super jorsour64

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
I played the platinum demo a few days ago. It was more of a tech demo with the ability to change the weather and time of day. It was fun to mess around in.

My favorite game in the series is FFX with IV being in second place. I still need to try VI and IX. I hope that XV will turn out to be good.
I did too! I'm glad I'm not the only one that felt that way about it. It was fun though!

Whitetail

Mane6 Dev
Mane6 Developer
Feb 3, 2016
soundcloud.com
I bought FF13 when it was on sale and now I'm super conflicted about it because it's just
so linear
the game practically plays itself

But the art direction, music and story are so interesting and unique and well done - even if the story itself isn't amazing like, I really really love the setting and the world of it but the game is so boring to actually play often I'd pull out my phone because I didn't need to pay attention to much

It's funny how trying to make a real time turn based battle system made it feel like the player has less control over the battle and not more...

It's an interesting scenario though really, few games can afford to spend so much money on art direction alone so normally you find games with good gameplay and bad story, not vice versa - at least on the scale like something developed by Square Enix

Last edited:

LLHero25

Master of Illogical Logic
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Bowie, MD
FFVI is tied with Chrono Trigger for my favorite game of all time. I've not really been hyped for FFXV, more so because I haven't been really keeping up with it than because I think its bad or anything.
I bought FF13 when it was on sale and now I'm super conflicted about it because it's just
so linear

But the art direction, music and story are so interesting and unique and well done - even if the story itself isn't amazing like, I really really love the setting and the world of it but the game is so boring to actually play often I'd pull out my phone because I didn't need to pay attention to much

It's funny how trying to make a real time turn based battle system made it feel like the player has less control over the battle and not more...
I'm in the same boat when it comes to FF13. I completely understand why a lot of people hate it but I quite liked it. Its not hard really difficult and the combat is essentially autopilot but I enjoyed Lightning and love her design, I enjoyed Hope's character arc despite him whining most of the time, and the other characters are fill their role well enough. The music and backgrounds are beautiful, the themes of being forcibly tied to an unfortunate fate was interesting to me. FF13 is a guilty pleasure of mine I guess. I enjoy more of the game that isn't part of me actually playing it, but experiencing it.

Super jorsour64

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
so linear

It's an interesting scenario though really, few games can afford to spend so much money on art direction alone so normally you find games with good gameplay and bad story, not vice versa - at least on the scale like something developed by Square Enix
I'm in the same boat when it comes to FF13. I completely understand why a lot of people hate it but I quite liked it. Its not hard really difficult and the combat is essentially autopilot but I enjoyed Lightning and love her design, I enjoyed Hope's character arc despite him whining most of the time, and the other characters are fill their role well enough. The music and backgrounds are beautiful, the themes of being forcibly tied to an unfortunate fate was interesting to me. FF13 is a guilty pleasure of mine I guess. I enjoy more of the game that isn't part of me actually playing it, but experiencing it.
I've yet to play 13, at this point just to have my own opinion of it besides just viewing others'. From the bit I have seen though, I can clearly see people's caveats against it BUT it does still look great. Anyone know if the PC port still has issues?

Whitetail

Mane6 Dev
Mane6 Developer
Feb 3, 2016
soundcloud.com
I've yet to play 13, at this point just to have my own opinion of it besides just viewing others'. From the bit I have seen though, I can clearly see people's caveats against it BUT it does still look great. Anyone know if the PC port still has issues?
It plays fine on my few years old laptop so idk can't say I've seen any issues
It doesn't really have many options in it for quality or anything like that but it plays decently

Also I hope you like blue
because you're going to be looking at a LOT of blue in the beginning

fah_q2

Just some guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I always wonder if FF13 would be different without auto-battle. I spent most of the game using analysis on a new enemy then spamming the X button for the rest of the fight. It a shame about the gameplay because I really like the soundtrack and just looking the environment.

Whitetail

Mane6 Dev
Mane6 Developer
Feb 3, 2016
soundcloud.com
Honestly I made it a point to not use auto battle until it just got tiring selecting the same thing over and over again

The battle system overall was just boring, too passive - not a good solution to try and make turn based battles into something more real time, other games have handled similar things better in ways that aren't a snooze fest. You felt like you were suggesting the flow of the battle, not actively involved in it. Something like Transistor really showed off how to make turn based systems feel more fluid in a way that both maintained player control but also broke things up and gave you the time to breath and plan things like a proper turn based system does.

Even something like Xenoblade's battle system is more engaging because you still have active control of the character even if you don't control the auto attacks. Tbh the worst thing Final Fantasy could do was take away player control of movement in combat, that's one of the biggest groundings to feel like they're influencing combat.

Though even then it does plenty of other things to destroy the player's sense of control. Weapon upgrades don't actually offer any degree of customization, you never have any control over who's in your party it's just whoever the game gives you (sure games often change the party around for story events but as far as I got in 13 you literally never got a chance to decide who you think would make your team best it's just ilke, oh okay I'm Saz now... nope now I'm Light), the skills grid was more just choosing what you wanted first and not so much allowing you to take a character how you'd like... just

Idk, they ruined their own formula

fah_q2

Just some guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
If I remember correctly, you spend a good chunk of the game with the characters going their separate ways and it's usually with only 2 characters at a time. I think up until you meet Fang is when everyone regroups and you finally get to switch characters. If not, then it's at the point where the game let's you free roam for a while.

Once you do get to the free roaming part, every character get's all 6 paradigm. Unfortunately, you don't do anything besides completing missions that are basically kill monster xyz.

Super jorsour64

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
It plays fine on my few years old laptop so idk can't say I've seen any issues
It doesn't really have many options in it for quality or anything like that but it plays decently

Also I hope you like blue
because you're going to be looking at a LOT of blue in the beginning
Haha thanks. I've played most of Persona 3 so I think I'm pretty used to seeing blue:D

D96

Michigan Wolverines Fanatic
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Michigan
www.reddit.com
The only FF game I've really played was Final Fantasy X, and even then it was only sparingly (it was my dad's game, so I preferred to just watch him play it). However, I've recently been playing an FF mobile game (Final Fantasy Record Keeper), and that's really sparked my interest in the series. I'd like to try out XV when it comes out, and I also wouldn't mind playin some of the older games.

Also, you should give Record Keeper a try. I don't normally like mobile games very much, but this one has me hooked. It's basically a nostalgia trip through all of the main games, but everything is done in the style of the SNES-era games. Pretty fun game IMO.

Whitetail

Mane6 Dev
Mane6 Developer
Feb 3, 2016
soundcloud.com
Bravely Default's also really really good - it's basically final fantasy if the head development was handled by soemone other than Square Enix and it turned out great.
Gameplay wise it's pretty much like, it takes the general formula for turn based RPGs and turns it on it's side with 1 little gimmick that vastly changes your approach to battling in general. It pulls it off so well, making what's generally seen as a very dated genre feel very fresh

Basically you can save your "turns" by defaulting, which is basically the defend command. Then the next turn if you'd like you can unleash both those turns at once, taking 2 actions in one turn. A lot of the game is about anticipating your enemies moves to know when to best unleash your saved up BP or when to default to save your team from being destroyed by a really powerful move. Makes you read your enemy's behavior effectively to try and figure out the best way to take them down.

The class system is basically more or less the same system used in Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced too which is another big fav in the series for me so that only makes me enjoy it even more (FFTA is another game I can't recommend enough).

danmiy12

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
Hawaii
kinda hard to rate them as I love turned based rpgs like etrian oddysey or if you are old school dragon quest series..you get infinte time to make decisions and enemies can be much harder with having to wait...but for final fantasy with its atm I loved 4-7...imo thats what I was really into final fantasy...

it was a lot different from other rpgs at the time and many of the characters are so iconic...I mean who doesnt know who black mage is, white mage, or even the famous chocobo or moogle...to bad in the newer games we dont see those iconic figures anymore....though we still see chocobos but their design changed..idk what happened after 13...and why did they change moogles who looked fine in older school games idk. in 12..

Whitetail

Mane6 Dev
Mane6 Developer
Feb 3, 2016
soundcloud.com
Some of the best race designs were in FFTA imo
Also it's pretty much the only game I like Nu Mou in, I think it was where they originated too? But idk FF is big on reusing things over and over even though they're thematically different so there may have been in games before it

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
I was always more of a FFT kinda fellow myself. Granted, it doesn't have the completly unique story of FFTA, nor the races to match (if you don't count the playable monsters), but I liked the part where magic was not instantaneous. It made the game all kinds of interesting when you had to try time one's spells, and abilities, correctly.

Unless you had T.G.Cid. Then you won the game, 'cause he was OP.