Fight sticks

Saki

Spirit of a Pro Gamer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
And a question for you. What is the optimal 8-button layout for a 4-button fighter like this one?

CamTSB

僕は誰なんだろう?
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
Ontario, Canada
twitter.com
And a question for you. What is the optimal 8-button layout for a 4-button fighter like this one?
The general 4 button layout for any stick is actually based on six button sticks since that was commonplace in arcades.

The standard layout would look like this:

There are obviously variations that some people use, like the different Blazblue ones you can see like this:

however the first one is what most people would see as the "default" layout. I know for a fact that I used to use something completely different from both of those, but now use the first one is it does feel a lot more natural in games like this.

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
The general 4 button layout for any stick is actually based on six button sticks since that was commonplace in arcades.

The standard layout would look like this:

There are obviously variations that some people use, like the different Blazblue ones you can see like this:

however the first one is what most people would see as the "default" layout. I know for a fact that I used to use something completely different from both of those, but now use the first one is it does feel a lot more natural in games like this.
My friend and I named his cat after Taiga. It was fitting (even if she wasn't tiger-striped).

SquiddyWiddy

Your Local Squid
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
:eek: Wow. I didn't realize how many people here actually one. I really gotta take my pick soon. SFV is days away!

Changepony21

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Whatever feels comfortable to you. Experiment with it. I myself have multiple different layouts depending on the game/character that I play.

Some Person

Pretty Pony Princess
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Santa Clarita, CA
I got this one, tho I'll probably upgrade to a fight stick once these guys are out of commission (unless someone out there makes a nice PS4 pad with xbox button layout). Also cause modifying the look to these pads would probably be a pain

Attachments

Invader TAK

Master of Random
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Northern Illinois
It's largely individual.
I come from a very strong ArkSys background so my layout is like...

ACOO
BDOO

But it's whatever is comfortable for you, really.
Heh, that looks like the P4A layout. Still haven't tried those games, guess I should since Ultamax is free on PS+ this month. *goes to download it*

As for me, I go with whatever layout the game was designed for (Injustice being an exception, since it doesn't have a default layout). Though for most four-button fighters (like BlazBlue and TFH in the future), I use:

ABCO
DOOO

But obviously, it's all up to preference if you're playing on Console or PC.

Reactions: Galaxy Heart

Galaxy Heart

Caffeine-Based Life Form
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Down the ne'er-do-well.
Heh, that looks like the P4A layout. Still haven't tried those games, guess I should since Ultamax is free on PS+ this month. *goes to download it*
Aha, yep, it is.
P4A was the first game I started putting real time into, so its layout is the most natural to me and transfers over very well to Guilty Gear. Luckily it's also a control scheme option in GG, too, so I don't have to map my controls every time.

Reactions: Invader TAK

Sunset Radiance

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 12, 2016
I mainly use an Xbox 360 Controller for Skullgirls, but I recently acquired a Hori Real Arcade 3, which I believe is for the Ps3. It works on PC, and I managed to buy it over a hundred bucks on Amazon. I've never used a fightstick before and I'm still relatively new to them, but so far, I like Hori. :3

Saki

Spirit of a Pro Gamer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I mean, with an Undertale one, for example, being filled with determination gives you better reads and mixups.

xCROOKEDx

Strongest Bee in the World!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016

AWWW YEEEEEEEEAH!!!! Glacier White DS4

This is just a stock image, and not mine, though.
My DS4 is super clean, however I'm probably going to give it a custom shell eventually.

Galaxy Heart

Caffeine-Based Life Form
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Down the ne'er-do-well.
Did a little work on my main stick to cheer myself up.
Just waiting for the art to be completed now.

Replaced the Sanwa buttons with Seimitsu buttons and the Sanwa joystick with a HORI one. Balltop is Seimitsu as well.

Reactions: Rich Jammer

Laurel Crown

Leader of the Proud Nation of Velvetia
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Kinda sucks that I have to rely on my keyboard. Sticks are non-existent here. >_>

Laurel Crown

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Okay... by taking the advice of Rich Jammes, I bought a Lioncast Stick.
From what I have read, it's a solid fighting stick (and cheap. Only 30 euros) that is good for beginners but not for professionals. Another downside would be the buttons which means I will buy some Sanwa or Suimetsu in the future.

Yeah, not the best type of stick for TFH and Friday Nights but, given that I don't want to play on keyboard, at least I got something good to practise on.

SubrosianDimitri

The King of Poor Decision Making
Crowdfund Backer
I've played some fighting games in arcade cabinets, but I could never get into the control stick setup. I'd rather use a controller, but if I need to get some kind of arcade setup, I'll probably try and get a hitbox controller since I've been stuck with keyboards for a while not and it might feel more natural to me. The only problem is that a hitbox controller costs like 200 bucks and I don't have that kind of disposable income.

NeoTensai

Twitch Streamer, Amateur Shoutcaster...
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 11, 2016
Slovenia, Ljubljana
Some of you showed of your fight sticks and I just got my custom one done.
So I wanted to share my awesome fight stick and I hope you will like it as much as I do.
The art was done by The-Butcher-X on DeviantArt so all credits for the front plate of the stick go to him.
The-Butcher-X tnx again for letting me use this for my stick.

Last edited:
Reactions: SubrosianDimitri

CamTSB

僕は誰なんだろう?
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
Ontario, Canada
twitter.com
Some of you showed of your fight sticks and I just got my custom one done.
Oooooh, that's one of the Brook Fighting Boards, isn't it? I didn't get a chance to grab one of the first set, but I've got an order in for one once the second set is able to be shipped out. Does it hold up to all it is suppose to be? I'm particularly interested in the whole "No 8 minute timeout" when it comes to the PS4 end of things.

NeoTensai

Twitch Streamer, Amateur Shoutcaster...
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 11, 2016
Slovenia, Ljubljana
Oooooh, that's one of the Brook Fighting Boards, isn't it? I didn't get a chance to grab one of the first set, but I've got an order in for one once the second set is able to be shipped out. Does it hold up to all it is suppose to be? I'm particularly interested in the whole "No 8 minute timeout" when it comes to the PS4 end of things.
Yes it is, nice eye you have there :D. We also had some problems getting them, but I would say worth it.
We tested the stick on a PS4 playing SF V and I can say there was no 8 min timeout.
It works beautifully. Played for over 30 matches on the first day I got it and saw no problems or issues, except for my noobish inputs :p (Still learning the movements on the joystick).
The design of the fightstick itself is completely custom from our fighting game club. The brook auto-detects consoles and is completely lagless. We agree that it is the best PCB currently out there

CamTSB

僕は誰なんだろう?
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
Ontario, Canada
twitter.com
Yes it is, nice eye you have there :D. We also had some problems getting them, but I would say worth it.
We tested the stick on a PS4 playing SF V and I can say there was no 8 min timeout.
It works beautifully. Played for over 30 matches on the first day I got it and saw no problems or issues, except for my noobish inputs :p (Still learning the movements on the joystick).
The design of the fightstick itself is completely custom from our fighting game club. The brook auto-detects consoles and is completely lagless. We agree that it is the best PCB currently out there
Fantastic, very good to hear. I'm currently running a PS360+, so the switch over will be welcomed once Evo rolls around for SFV and whatnot.

Laurel Crown

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
>mfw I discovered my payment got declined. :/
Looks like I have to try Amazon UK and hope for the best.

Rich Jammer

By the Numbers Accountant
Backers' Beta Tester
Can anyone suggest a place online to buy arcade stick parts?
Doesn't matter where I can buy almost anywhere. I got PO Boxes in USA, UK etc.
If you're gonna say Ebay or Amazon at least give me the user name of a trusted seller or someone you've purchased from.

I wanna customize my Venom PS3/PS4 arcade stick. They say online it's the same as a Mayflash V2 arcade stick and it can take Sanwa parts.

Last edited:

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
Hmmm. So many people using fight sticks, and here I am wanting to try out the game with an SNES controller. Reason being dirt cheap and don't want to throw out too much money for something I might decide I'm not too keen on. Also, since they are so cheap, I have no qualms about messing with every single bit it has (And painting it). And I don't really have money for anything more expensive:D

Though I always thought about putting a fightstick together myself, it doesn't seem that hard if you have the tools, and I can make it as comfortable as possible.

Saki

Spirit of a Pro Gamer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
If you're gonna say Ebay or Amazon at least give me the user name of a trusted seller or someone you've purchased from.

I wanna customize my Venom PS3/PS4 arcade stick. They say online it's the same as a Maytag arcade stick and it can take Sanwa parts.
With Amazon, if you're looking for Sanwa parts. you could go to the Sanwa branded store. Otherwise, Paradise Arcade Shop is a good place for parts.

CamTSB

僕は誰なんだろう?
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
Ontario, Canada
twitter.com

I wanna customize my Venom PS3/PS4 arcade stick. They say online it's the same as a Mayflash V2 arcade stick and it can take Sanwa parts.
I'm a big fan of both FocusAttack and ArcadeShock.

Changepony21

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016

Arcade Shock and Focus Attack is what I use for my parts and their customer service is great!. I've also used Paradise Arcade Shop but I'm not a fan of their prices or how often they stock things. they have aluminum actuators listed on their site but they've been out of stock for awhile now. I've tried messaging them about it on twitter but they haven't responded compared to focus attack who will respond to your questions as soon as is possible for them.