1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Them's Fightin' Herds is now out on Early Access!
    You can buy it from these links.
    Humble Bundle // Steam

3. Current Early Access Patch: 2-6-2019

Feb 22 - Still release // Unexpected change of plans

Discussion in 'News' started by ManeSix, Feb 20, 2018.

1. JetN

JetN Backers' Beta Tester
    Backers' Beta Tester

i think going early access is definantly the right course of action. I have been pretty worried that you guys wouldnt have time to finish by the 22nd since you announced the release date. Im glad you are taking the extra time to do things right.

not to mention that you have basically 24 hours or so at this point to finish the things that still need to be done. So im impressed you made it as far as you did. HOWEVER might i suggest you remove taunts from the public release until they are all finished. I dont think they are super high priority to finish and its really awkward right now how some characters have them and others dont.

Im certain that you guys are much more aware of what needs to get done before release than i am so i wont list things. but please dont stress yourselves out too much in the time you have left. the games going to be great and we all want a product that you are proud of.

2. WereWeasel42

WereWeasel42 Member

I was honestly really upset when I read this and almost wrote an angry comment but I took a breather and read everyone else’s comments and it helped me calm down and think rationally. I think you have made the right call by being transparent and being determined to follow through on your promises for the full release. I would have been super angry if I bought the “full” game and found no story mode, so I am glad for the transparency.

I’m also sure that something has gone really wrong if you’re delaying the story mode by a month when you originally thought it would be out by the 22nd. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Delusional Dreamer likes this.
  3. danmiy12

danmiy12 Backers' Beta Tester
    Backers' Beta Tester

first impressions might make or break the game...i think bronys wont mind and most of them will play it regardless, but you might lose a lot of your user base (esp casuals) if you release a broken story mode...glad you explained it and i think most people will understand especially since this isnt a AAA company, but i think it will be best to heavy focus on getting the game to 1.0 so you can please the non brony casuals and finish the 1st part of the story to an acceptable level.

edit: esp since a lot of casuals might just buy the game to play story and might not even touch online cause they might be shy or might want to practice offline before jumping online. Target practice and vs ai def helps these sorta people, though some people might hold off completely cause they might be buying only for story mode...

clearly in big text saying you are going early access at least make sure people know what they are paying for and wont get angry and give a bad review when they get it..also it will allow some people to hold off on buying and maybe buy later rather then buy it and get angry and give bad word of mouth to their friends and maybe ruin future purchases of this game.

#43 danmiy12, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  4. Pom d'or

Pom d'or Gave himself a fake award
    Backers' Beta Tester

Story mode is what I'm looking forward to the most, and a good story mode will be worth waiting for. You commitment to quality is encouraging. Good luck with it!

5. Random

Random Crowdfund Backer
    Crowdfund Backer

:olliebigsmile: It's okay! Thank you for the clarification! Although I am sad that I will not be able to play the story mode yet, I understand. Take your time.
    Oh, I also wish you good luck in the release!

6. ty4brawl

ty4brawl Feed b ack
    Backers' Beta Tester

I've seen it tossed around that it'll be finished in a month, but I don't get why. They didn't specify a completion date, which is smart considering if it still wasn't up by said date it'd probably send red flags to some people.

7. gatorafan

gatorafan HOLAS: (tm)
    Backers' Beta Tester

That doesn't sound right. It's probably a misconception caused by the first post saying:

Stating a month as the longest time (not saying how much "a bit more" is). Steam page is pretty clear that we are talking about months in plural tho.

8. VendiMANS

VendiMANS the city of Buenos Aires has burned to the ground!

Guys, we still have the book of lore for anyone that's eager to meet the characters and their cause, I suggest the devs to link it somewhere in the steam page so people can see they care about those

9. Random

Random Crowdfund Backer
    Crowdfund Backer

10. Buckshot Owl

Buckshot Owl New Member

Quick everyone, start panicking!

11. MSTieScott

MSTieScott Backers' Beta Tester
    Backers' Beta Tester

I can only speak for myself, but the two things that convinced me to join the crowdfund were the story mode and the dynamic music system. I'm a patient guy, so I'd rather wait for a story mode that's been completed to the devs' satisfaction than a half-formed, disappointing story mode (hey, I've already waited this long, right?). And I've really been enjoying the dynamic music system, so I have no worries that everything will work out.

I would point out, though, that Mane6 has said that some of the details from the Book of Lore were changing as they fleshed out the characters' stories. So there might be some small differences once the story mode begins appearing.

12. Erkicman

Erkicman Backers' Beta Tester
    Backers' Beta Tester

So judging from BearUNLV's recent steam key giveaway on Twitter, I could say that hype levels are still maximum. Also, judging from some comments I've seen on Reddit (Two Best Friends Play's subreddit mainly), people are willing to take blunt truth and transparency over a rushed story mode any day of the week.

13. Vision Thing

Vision Thing Spellbound

You're right, I'm considering getting it tomorrow anyway. But I hope this doesn't stay on early access for too long.

14. ChaosContrl

ChaosContrl Backers' Beta Tester
    Backers' Beta Tester

We already waited 2 years: a little more time is nothing, so no worries :)

EDIT: Sorry, 2 years and 5 months xD

#54 ChaosContrl, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  15. Rodya

Rodya Perpetually tired

*Five

16. CocoaTea

CocoaTea Pomeranians and Pomegranates

Oh dear, hope things would go well for the story mode. I'm glad that you guys are so transparent with us, a game released without story mode is much better than a broken one

17. TheWalrus

TheWalrus Active Member

**Seven

18. SmokeRulz

SmokeRulz Where there is smoke, there is fire!
    Backers' Beta Tester

Excellent to hear. On Twitter and Steam as well, people seem to be totally understanding and supportive of the decision. Honesty is the best policy! Never go full TRIPLE AAAAYYYY and just release broken stuff with no explanation.

It helps that the release date didn't get pushed back, too, I suppose

19. LockeRobster

LockeRobster Drawfriend & ALPHA Beta Tester
    Backers' Beta Tester

"No reason to panic" Do you know where you are @ManeSix ?

At any rate I at least appreciate the honesty and commitment to making the story mode great. As someone who is not competitive enough to get enjoyment out of PvP I'm really hanging out for a great story mode, you know? I can also appreciate that people go through real life stuff. Going through some pretty heavy real life stuff myself, so all the best to you guys!

Also good luck with the launch.

20. ShadowLightMew

ShadowLightMew Shiny Pokémon hunter and trainer
    Backers' Beta Tester

I don't have a Windows laptop yet for the game so i have to wait anyway. Hope that things work out for your friends since heavy sounds like in life losses or family trouble so i hope they will recover. The best you can do is give lots of moral support and real support if you know them in real time. Take your time Mane 6 :olliebigsmile:

21. Someoneman

Someoneman Crowdfund Backer
    Crowdfund Backer

You've been working on this since 2011, and I've been following this for nearly as long, so congratulations on finally being mostly kind of semi-done! I remember that in your really old FAQ you said this game WAS going to be released, no matter what. You weren't kidding.

Also, how many hours are there left until I get my key?

22. Toonwriter

Toonwriter Member

I'm an indiegogo backer on it, so I was wondering if I could get Them's Fightin' Herds free without charge.

23. Erkicman

Backers' Beta Tester

If you backed the game to at least the $15 tier, you should be getting your code by email or through your backer rewards page today.

Ferettoko and Salty Beef like this.
  24. CamTSB

CamTSB 死の匂いか?
    Staff Member Mane6 QA

If you backed the IGG at a level where you were to receive a copy of the game, then you will. If not, then no.

25. BackwardCap

BackwardCap Internet Celebrity Extrordinaire
    Backers' Beta Tester

If you donated at a high enough tier then it should be getting sent to your email.

26. BlueBean

BlueBean Fluffy Heretic
    Crowdfund Backer

Is there an ETA for this? I got the notification from Steam that it's available for purchase but I haven't received any code yet.

27. J. Renfield

J. Renfield Backers' Beta Tester
    Backers' Beta Tester

It's out now on steam.

Come and get it, everyp...uh...ungulate?

Ferettoko, PinkieFTW and Salty Beef like this.
  28. Erkicman

Backers' Beta Tester

I actually got my email earlier today

29. Lurk

Lurk Well-Known Member

Weird. When I got in, it was on sale.

30. LockeRobster

Backers' Beta Tester

Any chance we could do something to get it on the New and Trending section (preferably above Metal Gear Survive [spits]) or does Early Access not count?

31. darahalian

darahalian Backers' Beta Tester
    Backers' Beta Tester

The backerkit email may not have come through yet for some reason, but you should have access to the code on your backerkit survey page if you backed at the appropriate level. Try following the instructions here for a step by step process on finding the code and redeeming it on Steam. The instructions are for the beta version, but the process outlined there should be the same as for actual release.

Ferettoko and BlueBean like this.
  32. Discord

Discord New Member

IS IT FINALLY TIME

Ferettoko, PinkieFTW and Salty Beef like this.
  33. LockeRobster

Backers' Beta Tester

How many people got the game when it was 25% off for a hot minute?

Is this Anu's fault? It's probably Anu's fault.

PinkieFTW, BlueBean and Salty Beef like this.
  34. Lurk

Lurk Well-Known Member

Turns out it was linked to owning Skullgirls.

35. WarDyn27

WarDyn27 Backers' Beta Tester
    Backers' Beta Tester

Those splash artworks in the story mode menu have got me hyped. Hopefully the wait isn't too long, but real life stuff should always come first.

36. Someoneman

Someoneman Crowdfund Backer
    Crowdfund Backer

Why is the game still missing some animation frames? I thought the only major thing missing from this release would be the story mode.

_L1pE_, Ferettoko, PinkieFTW and 2 others like this.
  37. Alevgor

Alevgor Canis Imaginatus
    Backers' Beta Tester

I think either it's some kind of misunderstanding or of last minute change of the plans because current game version does not correspond to "first public release" mentioned in the TS post - missing character animations, combo trials(?) , unfinished pixel lobby etc

_L1pE_, Ferettoko and Salty Beef like this.
  38. Lurk

Lurk Well-Known Member

Re-read. They did mention that it's a slightly rolled back 0.95 version.

39. Alevgor

Alevgor Canis Imaginatus
    Backers' Beta Tester

As I said it could be misunderstanding, because for me it is not entirely clear, what are differences between 0.95 version and first public release version

40. Vision Thing

Vision Thing Spellbound

Yes, but it was supposed to involve the story mode. The text doesn't say anything about missing animations, taunts, trials, etc.

_L1pE_, Ferettoko, PinkieFTW and 2 others like this.