Favorite & Least Favorite Bosses in Fighting Games

Cinnamaldehyde

DDR Savant
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 10, 2016
Lake Stevens
I personally have a love hate relationship with all bosses in fighting games though I tend to prefer the characters that are created to be the boss instead of just super powered versions of playable characters.

My favorite final boss is from MELTY BLOOD aacc when you beat arcade mode with Riesbyfe.

My least favorite boss is probably Inferno from Soul Calibur 2. He just feels cobbled together and lazy with no personality. I mean sure, he looks cool but whatever. I just wish he could have been unlocked as a third Charade color.

SubrosianDimitri

The King of Poor Decision Making
Crowdfund Backer
I don't generally like bosses in fighting games, they're usually a matter of getting obscenely lucky and having a character who can spam fast high-damage projectiles with low recovery frames. I feel like it shouldn't be a case of, "Can I finish them off before they use a super attack that will chip away most of my health, can't be dodged, is spammable, and has comes with no warning?" But that's how they always are.

The bosses I have the most disdain for are not those kinds though, the ones I really hate are the bosses who run on the same (theoretical) rules as the player. Ones that can be thrown, knocked down, hitstuned, etc. I can deal with Marie in Skullgirls, Yami in TvC and the like as much as I hate their design philosophy, what I can't deal with is:
• Al Azif ex Mortis (Nitroplus Blasterz): She's fast, she hits hard, she loves to throw refuse, she's always 4 levels above the current difficulty, her super moves are overpowered versions of regular Al Azif, she spams insanely fast energy balls that chip away as much HP as a blocked super move would, and her lethal blaze is undodgeable (it also chips away half your full health bar). At least you can throw her, but unless you're constantly in her face and hitting her, she'll stand back and zone the hell out of you until she has 3 super bars and then pop her lethal blaze to finish you off. I like going for all the achievements in my games, but with the case of "beat story mode with everyone" for this game, I'll pass!
I-No (Guilty Gear XX Accent Core): She's a character you can normally play as, and she isn't pumped up on steroids when you fight her in story mode, but what she does have is a spammable super attack that deals tons of damage, cannot be dodged, goes all over the place, and can't be used by human players. Yep, it's one of those moves that only the computer can use, and it sucks to fight against.

Surprisingly, I don't hate Inferno in SC2, and that's mainly because he's not unbearably cheap. He's just Charade on fire, no massive difficulty spikes of moves that only the computer can use, and no unreasonable level of challenge.

Reactions: Cinnamaldehyde

Cinnamaldehyde

DDR Savant
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 10, 2016
Lake Stevens
I don't generally like bosses in fighting games, they're usually a matter of getting obscenely lucky and having a character who can spam fast high-damage projectiles with low recovery frames. I feel like it shouldn't be a case of, "Can I finish them off before they use a super attack that will chip away most of my health, can't be dodged, is spammable, and has comes with no warning?" But that's how they always are.

The bosses I have the most disdain for are not those kinds though, the ones I really hate are the bosses who run on the same (theoretical) rules as the player. Ones that can be thrown, knocked down, hitstuned, etc. I can deal with Marie in Skullgirls, Yami in TvC and the like as much as I hate their design philosophy, what I can't deal with is:
• Al Azif ex Mortis (Nitroplus Blasterz): She's fast, she hits hard, she loves to throw refuse, she's always 4 levels above the current difficulty, her super moves are overpowered versions of regular Al Azif, she spams insanely fast energy balls that chip away as much HP as a blocked super move would, and her lethal blaze is undodgeable (it also chips away half your full health bar). At least you can throw her, but unless you're constantly in her face and hitting her, she'll stand back and zone the hell out of you until she has 3 super bars and then pop her lethal blaze to finish you off. I like going for all the achievements in my games, but with the case of "beat story mode with everyone" for this game, I'll pass!
I-No (Guilty Gear XX Accent Core): She's a character you can normally play as, and she isn't pumped up on steroids when you fight her in story mode, but what she does have is a spammable super attack that deals tons of damage, cannot be dodged, goes all over the place, and can't be used by human players. Yep, it's one of those moves that only the computer can use, and it sucks to fight against.

Surprisingly, I don't hate Inferno in SC2, and that's mainly because he's not unbearably cheap. He's just Charade on fire, no massive difficulty spikes of moves that only the computer can use, and no unreasonable level of challenge.
I don't hate Inferno I just think he is lame they could have at least made him wield the souledge variations of the characters weapons.

Reactions: SubrosianDimitri

Tox

Ms. Fortune is best pone
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
NSW, Australia
steamcommunity.com
Azazel in Tekken 6 has got to be the stupidest boss I've ever encountered. My biggest qualm is that he uses a shield...A SHIELD! In a fighting game! A shield!! Add this on the fact that he only uses the same 5-6 moves over and over, 3 of them being almost unavoidable grabs, makes him the biggest hak of a boss to ever be spewed out.

Marie from Skullgirls was pretty annoying too. Mostly because she never shut up

Last edited:

Ultra Lucky Cat

Best Felyne Food Skill
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Just want to point out that you actually can dodge every single variation of that move and that they do have enough start up for you to be able to dodge it. Even if she cancels the start up to use a different variation of that super, it takes a little while before it activates. That being said, if so much as a single note of that super hits you, it will take an indecent chunk of your health and some of any you managed to dodge will come back and strike.

I rather point out Boss Ramlethal in Guilty Gear Xrd Sign. She has the same moves as normal, only beefed up speed and damage. That's fine, the real problem comes halfway through the match when the AI happens to notice they have enough meter and are trapped in the corner. She WILL spam her beam super that is much slower than normal, but has her become invincible, stays on the screen longer and does far more damage than the normal version. The only way to dodge is to cross over her, which you can't if she's in the corner. Finally, her super gauge recharges so fast that she can spam this move endlessly. I've been chipped out by this dumb stuff where she shot that thing 5 times in a row.

Basically putting her in a corner might make the match literally unwinnable.

Last edited:

Nadia

Feb 4, 2016
Germany
My favorite final boss: Omega Rugal from King of Fighters 98 / 98UM
Omega Rugal is a realy strong Boss with special Moves from various KoF characters and his own deadly specials and Supers, despite that I never got the feeling that the Fight against him is to unfair, and he is also so delightful Evil when he performs his own moves. :D

My least favorite boss: Dural from all Virtual Fighter Games
Her Design and Moveset was just boring and I always hated that I only had one try to beat her if I remeber it right.o_O

Reactions: Tox