Favorite Intro Sequence?

Gamerdude854

Pizza Pasta
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 7, 2016
Canada
What is your favorite intro Sequence for a video game?

Mine is the Melee opening, it's just so amazing:

TigerKirby215

I should be doing work right now
Crowdfund Backer
Mar 29, 2016
Tough call.

I'm the kind of person who skips those cut-scenes 80% of the time. Even so, just about every intro for the old DS games I have especially Pokemon Platinum, Kirby Squeak Squad, and Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story bring back huge nostalgic memories.

There's also this:

"I came here with a question, and I'm going to find the answer if it kills me." Just makes me giddy. Every time I hear it I get excited. It's timed perfectly with the music, and zone 1:3 has good tunes.
3:2 is better, though.

CamTSB

僕は誰なんだろう?
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
Ontario, Canada
twitter.com
Are we talking like, animated openings, or also pre-fight special animations?

If we're including the latter, I'll say literally every special intro in BB (Ragna vs Jin, Ragna vs Hazama, Ragna vs Terumi) and probably the Ibuki vs Makoto 3S intro.

Reactions: Gamerdude854

Gamerdude854

Pizza Pasta
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 7, 2016
Canada
Are we talking like, animated openings, or also pre-fight special animations?

If we're including the latter, I'll say literally every special intro in BB (Ragna vs Jin, Ragna vs Hazama, Ragna vs Terumi) and probably the Ibuki vs Makoto 3S intro.
I'm talking about animated openings

Tough call.

I'm the kind of person who skips those cut-scenes 80% of the time. Even so, just about every intro for the old DS games I have especially Pokemon Platinum, Kirby Squeak Squad, and Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story bring back huge nostalgic memories.

There's also this:

"I came here with a question, and I'm going to find the answer if it kills me." Just makes me giddy. Every time I hear it I get excited. It's timed perfectly with the music, and zone 1:3 has good tunes.
3:2 is better, though.
That is an awesome intro, i've heard some great things about this game too.

A88mph

Game Maker and Starship Captain.
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
a88mph.itch.io
When I was really little, I was facinated with the Intro for "Wheel of Fortune (PC, 1994)"
Also, This one was good at getting me hyped for battle.

D96

Michigan Wolverines Fanatic
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Michigan
www.reddit.com
Just off the top of my head, the intros for the Borderlands series and the Dawn of War series are pretty fantastic.

Heads up, these videos are a bit violent, in case you don't want to see that.

xCROOKEDx

Strongest Bee in the World!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Nothing, absolutely NOTHING in my eyes beats the intro to Parasite Eve on the PS1. Partially because it's one of my favorite games of all time, and partially because it's so damn good.

fah_q2

Just some guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Off the top of my head, I would say MGS 3's opening.

Szkieletor

Ngasta! Kvata! Kvakis!
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
@D96 I'm personally partial to BL1 intro, though both are great and among my favorites. BL2's just has those moment where it feels like half the sound effects cut off for no reason.

My absolute favorite is Cortex Command's intro, just for it's soundtrack. Seen it a million times, still runs chills down my back.

neopokekun

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 5, 2016
An old favorite of mine is the intro to Last Ninja 3 (C64).

The recently released Hyper Light Drifter has a great intro.

♥ Vanilla Cream Killy ♥

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
Australia
A lot of Namco fighters (Tekken and Soul Calibur) have really good intros; they do a good job of establishing characters (especially newcomers) and having really great music and pacing to get you hyped. One that always sticks out to me though is ironically enough one of the only ones not done in CGI:

Crayv

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Oh and this intro I though was really nice

Muro

Fight me in Skullgirls
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Poland
steamcommunity.com
A good opening in my eyes is one that 1) you'll regularly want to watch instead of skipping it by default and 2) puts you in a mood appropriate for the game in question.

That said, the intro from the PS1 fighting game Toshinden 4 always had this effect on me. It does well to briefly present each playable character, conveys the theme of "trios of characters competing vs each other" and overall makes me want to just jump in the game and kick some tail. Oldie buy goodie.

Anukan

Three Worn Words
Mane6 Developer
Feb 2, 2016
Penzance
This
and this
Have always been counted in my favourites. Simple and to the point, yet super effective. No need to get flashy or cinematic, and they set up the game's tone and mood perfectly. Plus, some tl;dr on the game's (glorious excuse of a) plot as well.

Back in the days of FM2K, that's what I used as main inspiration for the old game's intro. Another of those things that were never completed. Last I remember, I was trying to find a way to not have it be 40% of the game's weight due to the frame-by-frame nature of FM2K. It's still part of my inspiration for what I want to do this time around.

neopokekun

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 5, 2016
Another one is Street Fighter Alpha 3

which also inspired the intro to Scott Pilgrim vs The World: The Game

Norad2

As unprepared for TFH as Pom.
Crowdfund Backer
Jun 21, 2016
Ohio
Take your pick. My two favorites, probably.

Oh, and an honorable mention to the intro cutscene for Super Smash Brothers Brawl.

CrazyBob05

Feb 9, 2016
I used to play it a lot too until my PSP was stolen with the game still inside. Suppose I should be grateful it wasn't when I had my copy of Tales of VS. was in there.

Sapare

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
A bad man...fell from the sky.

Gosh Darn it, I thought we all agreed to never get creative again? I didnt want to sleep anyway...

As for my entry to this(not sure if this is my fave intro, but it sure was memorable and got the feel of the game across):
Though the Starcraft Broodwar intro that was posted above is also really good, a little less obtuse.

Reactions: _L1pE_

_L1pE_

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Probably this:

It's also based on a 8 min short that was used to advertise the game:

Barbaloot

Bringer of sorrow and also donuts.
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Wisconsin
Back a long time ago, I got Battleblock Theatre for free on my Xbox 360. So me and my friend had a go at the campaign.

The intro to the campaign had us in stitches for awhile.

PixelGrip94

Games, Movies, Music, & Ponies!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Has to be between Kingdom Hearts II and KH 3D. The way they tell the stories of the previous games are so creative and beautiful to watch coupled with the amazing music be it Passion (Japanese version, not Sanctuary) or the Hikari Instrumental.