Favorite Gaming Soundtrack?

Gamerdude854

Pizza Pasta
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 7, 2016
Canada
I'm curious to hear what your favorite video game soundtracks are.

For me it's the Turok Dinosaur Hunter soundtrack:

It's just so good. It matches the action packed gameplay and awesome atmosphere so well. Some of the tracks literally send chills down my back

Szkieletor

Ngasta! Kvata! Kvakis!
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Payday: The Heist and PAYDAY 2. Simon Viklud never disappoints. The game's soundtrack fit perfectly into it's atmosphere and gameplay, and it was the major factor that kept me playing for 500 hours.

Also obligatory Bastion and Transistor. Solid soundtracks that will always have a spot on my playlists. I set my sail... Fly the wind it will take me...

A bit past these three on my list is Morrowind's. Jeremy Soul is good composer yo. Still have chills when I hear Nerevar Rising. Entering Solstheim when playing Skyrim and hearing old Morrowind music was probably the best part of Dragonborn DLC for me.

Reactions: Gamerdude854

Dat Shambler

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
For me, it's both Undertale and Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere.

Undertale because the songs match the situations and atmosphere very well. Some of the tracks are just really catchy and fun to listen to (i.e. "Nyeh Heh Heh!/Bonetrousle" and "It's Showtime"), and others are just so epic and they get me super pumped (i.e. "Battle Against a True Hero" and "Hopes and Dreams").
EDIT: Oh, and how could I forget, another one of my favourite songs, "CORE"?

Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere because the songs have a really cool, futuristic sound to them. And, like Undertale, (some of) the songs match the atmosphere (or should I say "ELECTROSPHERE"?.... I'm sorry) really well. Take "Transparent Blue" for example. It completely nails the adrenaline feeling you get when you're up in the sky, surrounded by enemy fighters, knowing that you could be gunned down at any given moment. It's just so good.

Last edited:

Stridershy

The King Of Goat Style
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
The Place Where Goats Are
I can't express how much I LOVE Grandia II. I mean, the majority of my posts in this gaming section is about the game. Its not just a great game, it has one of the most fantastic soundtracks of any game I've ever played.

Reactions: Moon Drops

Dat Shambler

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
The Classic Rayman OST.
It was so unique to me at the time as a kid,
and the worlds in the game left such an impression on me.
The music only made everything better.
Ditto that. Rayman 1 was the first game I ever played, so it isn't surprising.

D96

Michigan Wolverines Fanatic
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Michigan
www.reddit.com
Currently I've been listening to Undertale's soundtrack a lot, 'cause it's really good.

As for my favorite...can I just say the Halo series, especially the first trilogy? That's the most iconic soundtrack to me; every time I hear the music, I get in a "fight-aliens-and-save-Earth" kind of mood. I'll link it later for anyone who hasn't given it a listen.

EDIT: Here's the original game's soundtrack if anyone wants to give it a listen.

Last edited:

Crym4x

What do you mean i can't use a bucket as a hat
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
Canberra, Australia
Preety good soundstracks but for me personally my favoutes would either be The Crash bandicoot soundtrack or the soundtrack to electronic super joy

Some Person

Pretty Pony Princess
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Santa Clarita, CA
I got a couple cause there are such good OSTs out there.

Anything King of Fighters related, cause the music's so good while applying the beatdowns.

A lot of people have mentioned Undertale, but there's another RPG out there which should get some love for its soundtrack; Lisa: The Painful

Also its DLC sequel, Lisa: The Joyful

Reactions: Gamerdude854

Anukan

Three Worn Words
Mane6 Developer
Feb 2, 2016
Penzance
Bastion, Transistor and Halo have been mentioned already, and are in my regularly-listened-to folder for videogame playlists. In addition, the same folder includes Ori and the Blind Forest and Journey, which are both quite perfect to listen to while working.

This thread made me notice I tend to just pull tracks here and there, but almost never whole albums. I have parts of the Mass Effect albums in my "Outwards" playlist, Parts of the Assassin's Creed albums across several playlists ("Earth" is my favourite track) and parts of the Portal soundtrack in my starred playlists (Cara Mia Addio and Potatos Lament). Zelda and Okami also crop up here and there, but I might be digressing into particular tracks, rather than entire soundtracks.

...And of course, I also love the work in progress playlists for Them's Fightin' Herds. <.<

linkster

Certified Paprika Main™
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I was never able to get over Super Mario RPG and its soundtrack, especially the boss themes.

D96

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Michigan
www.reddit.com
Bastion, Transistor and Halo have been mentioned already, and are in my regularly-listened-to folder for videogame playlists.
Out of curiosity, which Halo tracks are your favorites? Personally, I love Brothers In Arms, Covenant Dance, One Final Effort, Never Forget...and a bunch more, but those are the ones off the top of my head. There's so many good tracks in that series, and I especially love how the different motifs are carried through and rearranged in later games.

EDIT: Added links to those songs I mentioned and I wanna throw a couple more out there for everyone to listen to:
In Amber Clad
Impend
Heretic, Hero
Tip of the Spear
...and a lot more. Give it a shot if you've never heard songs from the series.

Last edited:

Nemesis

Robot in Disguise
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
pony411.libsyn.com
Oh man, where do I begin?

To start off, I think my favorite of all time is Halo. Halo 4 being a bit weaker, but still pretty good.

Donkey Kong Country 2's is wonderful. Well, I like 1 and 3's as well, but DKC2 is in another league.

Recently I've been listening to the soundtracks for Undertale and Life is Strange a lot. They are both fantastic.

Sutekh94

Veteran of being taken over by robots or something
Crowdfund Backer
I noticed that the PAYDAY games were mentioned already, but this track from the PAYDAY 2 soundtrack always stood out to me as being awesome. Indeed, Simon Viklund never disappoints.

As far as others... There's a lot of game soundtracks I'm pretty fond of, but if I had to pick an absolute favorite, it would be Sonic 3 & Knuckles's OST.

Kegradigm

Professional Heister
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Dustforce will stand out to be my favorite OST.

Other of my favorites have already been mentioned, such as Bastion, Transistor, PAYDAY 2, and both Hotline Miamis.

hawthornbunny

Fights like a cow
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Ditto that. Rayman 1 was the first game I ever played, so it isn't surprising.
Thirded. Rayman's soundtrack is fantastic, and Band Land is one of the most beautiful game tunes ever. I don't know why there aren't any Rayman remixes.

I have a fun little musical coincidence for Rayman: Listen to the first minute of Picture City...

and then follow it up with this.

D96

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Michigan
www.reddit.com
To start off, I think my favorite of all time is Halo. Halo 4 being a bit weaker, but still pretty good.
I'd agree with you there. It just seems there aren't as many memorable tracks in Halo 4's soundtrack. That said, there's a few really great ones in there; personally, I really enjoy Arrival and Revival.

EDIT: Added links

Last edited:
Reactions: Galaxy Heart

Rich Jammer

By the Numbers Accountant
Backers' Beta Tester
I would say Scott Pilgrim Vs The World is my favorite.

Ahem... * Looks through phone * but if you wanna know more of my favorites.

- Castle Crashers
- Dirt 2
- GTA 4 Ballad of Gay Tony
- GTA San Andreas
- JET SET RADIO!!!
- Little Big Planet
- Rayman Origins
- Sonic Rush
- Splatoon

Galaxy Heart

Caffeine-Based Life Form
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Down the ne'er-do-well.
This is probably a game I'm willing to bet 99% of you haven't heard of here, but Space Funeral.

It's a small, free indie RPG, but easily one of my favourite games ever and the soundtrack is stellar, perfectly capturing the atmosphere in each scene seemingly effortlessly.

Orcryst

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
three way tie here...

Ori and the Blind Forest :
Bastion :
and FF Dissidia 012 Duodecim : Which i couldn't find a full link for :p

there are a LOT of good soundtracks, but these are my favorites, as in the ones i listen to often while doing other things and never seem to get old : )

Notable mentions : Dust, an elysian tail, FFXI and FFXIV, Undertale, Crisis Core : FF7 , Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Suikoden, Guilty Gear X/Blazblue series

Whitetail

Mane6 Dev
Mane6 Developer
Feb 3, 2016
soundcloud.com
This is probably a game I'm willing to bet 99% of you haven't heard of here, but Space Funeral.

It's a small, free indie RPG, but easily one of my favourite games ever and the soundtrack is stellar, perfectly capturing the atmosphere in each scene seemingly effortlessly.

-videos
Funny thing about this game you know all the music is obscure indie music that's fallen into public domain over time? One of the main themes is actually a really obscure but influential Japanese indie band - no one's actually even sure where the vocalist is now since he dissapeared but there's rumors of needing to flea the country since being connected to a homicide and being spotted in france

Some of my fav soundtracks though have to be Bastion (I really love Transistor's vocal themes too but overall the soundtrack for Bastion strikes me as more all around stand out)

The Megaman Zero series

And the Metroid Prime Series

Also Freedom Planet's soundtrack is pretty good too

and Sonic CD's got not just 1, but 2 seperate really good soundtracks - for some reason they couldn't liscense the same soundtrack used in Japan and Europe in the US so they made an entirely new one. The Japanese/European one is more melodic so tends to be more stand out but both are really good and worth checking out
Sonic CD - Stardust Speedway Bad Future [JP/EU] (HD)

also Robotnik rapped way before Knuckles did
Boss (JPN/PAL) - Sonic the Hedgehog CD Music Extended

Senjin

Resident Musician
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Chicago
Wow, I'm surprised at how varied everything is in here! Lots of non-standard stuff, and a nice mix of old+new (and way too much Undertale)

Yuzo Koshiro (Streets of Rage, Act Raiser, etc.) and Jun Ishikawa (Kirby games) are both huge influences to me. But here's some selections of stuff I really like:

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
I'm pretty fond of Star Ocean: Till the End of Time's OST.

The intro video + music is awesome:

Soundtrack Playlist - I'm partial to; The Virtual Image, Crysanthemum in Winter, Calm Mind Reflected in the Pupil, Misted Moon, So Alone be Sorrow, and a few others. Naturally being an RPG there are some more gentle background tracks (most of the ones I mentioned), and other more battle oriented tracks (like The Virtual Image)

Reactions: Senjin

Senjin

Resident Musician
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Chicago
The game was made by a musician, so it shouldn't be any surprise that people like the soundtrack. =p
Ha, yeah I know ;)
I DO like the music, and have a lot of respect for the developer and the game itself, but it's a game I'm just not into anywhere near as much as the rest of the internet. I really just want people to stop doing covers from only this game for a bit :confused:

I'm pretty fond of Star Ocean: Till the End of Time's OST.

The intro video + music is awesome

Soundtrack Playlist - I'm partial to; The Virtual Image, Crysanthemum in Winter, Calm Mind Reflected in the Pupil, Misted Moon, So Alone be Sorrow, and a few others. Naturally being an RPG there are some more gentle background tracks (most of the ones I mentioned), and other more battle oriented tracks (like The Virtual Image)
Haven't played this game in a while. I actually don't remember the music much, but now I'm wondering why 'cause it's good stuff. Will probably be listening to this throughout the day~

Reactions: Shadow of Death

jodudeit

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
I've always liked the orchestrated versions of Final Fantasy VII's soundtrack.