Favorite Gaming Soundtrack?

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
Oh god, oh god, where to even start. There are just so many good soundtracks in modern games it's baffling.
Let's start with Bastion. I personally say, it is one of the most fitting and awesome soundtrack for a game, ever. In their own there are better tracks, but they just fit the game so well, it's ridiculous. Transistor had good music as well, but it just didn't nail it as well as Bastion.
Chrono Cross, and Chrono Trigger. I believe no one will argue with me as well on those.

Now on less mentioned ones:
Here are two from Ace Combat games:
Zero, from Ace Combat Zero, Ultimate, epic, final confrontation and you hear this. It's a really good track.
Then from Ace Combat 5. I believe this needs no reasons. In an air combat game (hell any action game), this kind of music is sadly rare.

My personal favouite, the soundtrack from Company of Heroes 2. The entire soundtrack is plain epic, even the slower ones, and capture the war perfectly.
But! For those, who didn't play with it. The game is generally quiet, until a big battle starts, then one of the confrontation music just start to creep in an gets louder. Just imagine hearing this during an epic fight:
The expansions had some really good music as well. You guys should really listen to them.

Actually someone made a collection from several good (most are older) music, more of a run in background styles, but still neat.

It seems, the forum doesn't like me linking too many youtube videos at once, even in a spoiler tag, so I'll break it into 2 :D

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
Then, from Fallout 4. Say whatever you want about the game, Inon Zur did an admirable job on a soundtrack most players would never even hear (instead they would just listen to the radio).

And if we are already talking about a Bethesda game, here is this masterpiece from Jeremy Soule (The guy has some rather impressive track record of epic music).

Persona 4 had some awesome music, The early CoDs as well. Planetary Annihilation, Red Alert whit its Soviet+Hell Marches. There are just too many good soundtracks to list.
Actually, you know what? I'll cheat a little:D

--EDIT--
I almost forgot these
Hearts of Iron 3:
Europa Universalis 4. The game actually have a "metal" dlc among countless other (it could give even Sims a run for its money)
Don't worry, I WILL go totally nuts in finding good music. Already remembered two more:D:D

Last edited:

Lazengann

An experiment in the depths of self-loathing
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Sietch Tabr
Both Hotline Miami games have fantastic soundtracks that perfectly match the 80's murder spree gameplay.

The Terraria soundtrack is also pretty great. The upbeat chiptune music just makes feel all warm on the inside.

Whitetail

Mane6 Dev
Mane6 Developer
Feb 3, 2016
soundcloud.com
The Terraria soundtrack is also pretty great. The upbeat chiptune music just makes feel all warm on the inside.
I love Terraria's soundtrack so much I was so dissapointed they got someone else to do Starbounds music. Like, I get Starbound's slightly more serious in tone but instead of the quirky mixed up sound design of Terraria that fit the art style perfectly we got forgettable string pieces that pretty much sound like something out of Spore - they fit the mood but nothing's a standout

D96

Michigan Wolverines Fanatic
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Michigan
www.reddit.com
I just thought about Terraria's soundtrack, so I'm glad to see it's already on here! The biome songs are so catchy and fit so well with the game's style. Also, the boss/event themes are fantastic; the boss battles were full of frantic fun, but the music really sold the mood for me and made them memorable.

Mighty Alicorn Hunter

Predator Representative of the Darkside
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
The Council
I'm not sure if this should go here, but any music that comes out of the Wasteland Wailers is flawless and will be in the game from the Overmare studios (shameless Fallout The Glue Factory advertising)

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
About The FoE game, the entire music mechanic (not just the library) is pretty awesome as well

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
I really hope they don't get a C&D. With Bethesda and The Toy Company both having a stake in the properties they're using, it's probably too much to hope for that they don't get shut down though ~_~

Mighty Alicorn Hunter

Predator Representative of the Darkside
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
The Council
I really hope they don't get a C&D. With Bethesda and The Toy Company both having a stake in the properties they're using, it's probably too much to hope for that they don't get shut down though ~_~
Trust me when I say that they can't be touched in their current position. Gotta love Canadian laws that have pretty loose exceptions to copyright :)
They have a video about it actually from about 2 years ago.
Edit: Here you go, turns out it's their first video... I didn't realize that they used that jazz Rainbow factory instrumental this early, but that's cool.

Last edited:

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
Trust me when I say that they can't be touched in their current position. Gotta love Canadian laws that have pretty loose exceptions to copyright :)
They have a video about it actually from about 2 years ago.
Edit: Here you go, turns out it's their first video... I didn't realize that they used that jazz Rainbow factory instrumental this early, but that's cool.
OK, that's handy. I didn't know Canada (where I live, incidentally) actual had a reasonable stance on fan works. It still looks like it takes some effort to dig around and cite everything properly to satisfy legal precedent, it does seem like they're totally in the clear.

Lazengann

An experiment in the depths of self-loathing
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Sietch Tabr
I love Terraria's soundtrack so much I was so dissapointed they got someone else to do Starbounds music. Like, I get Starbound's slightly more serious in tone but instead of the quirky mixed up sound design of Terraria that fit the art style perfectly we got forgettable string pieces that pretty much sound like something out of Spore - they fit the mood but nothing's a standout
Sempai Noticed me! :eek:

On topic Dark Souls has a fantastic soundtrack. Whilst it is seldom used for anything but boss fights when it is used it is powerful. I'd go on to say that the music is one of the strongest parts of Dark Souls and, had it been bad, many bosses would not be anywhere near as memorable or fun to fight. The Sif Theme stands out as one of the strongest of the game as it makes the fight as tragic as it is.

The First 3 Metal Gear Solid games are also fantastic and I was really let down by MGSV's soundtrack (not including the licensed music, which was great).

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
I remembered one game that can go toe to toe with Bastion in most atmospheric soundtrack, namely World of Goo. You would seriously not expect something like this from the first look of the game.

Reactions: LLHero25

Whitetail

Mane6 Dev
Mane6 Developer
Feb 3, 2016
soundcloud.com
The First 3 Metal Gear Solid games are also fantastic and I was really let down by MGSV's soundtrack (not including the licensed music, which was great).
The like... one original song for the game's good ahaha

Apparently Hideo Kojima commissioned the musician to do at least 30 other songs for the game that were never included because they just didn't fit up to what he was thinking, it was part of the whole fiasco that ended up with the game being released prematurely and him leaving Konami. Now I wonder if the music will ever surface

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
I am actually pretty suprised the music from Peace Walker hadn't come up yet. It had a really great soundtrack

GreySky-GodoftheMachine

Fear; The Shadow of Death
Backers' Beta Tester
Apr 18, 2017
The classics like Contra, and mega man are a given, and popular rhythm games like project diva always have great tracks. But I'm here to push the Jet Set series ( Jet Set Radio/ Jet Grind Radio, Jet Set Radio Future, and Ollie King) and more importantly Gitaroo-Man/ Gitarooman Lives (The PSP re-release with a few more songs).

Michael Bottos

Roller of Dice
Backers' Beta Tester
Oct 18, 2016
Killer Instinct (2013) or DOOM, both by Mick Gordon.

Official, non-pirated Link for DOOM, from Bethesda:

PixelGrip94

Games, Movies, Music, & Ponies!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
If I'm basing this off of the game soundtrack that I listen to the most, I'd have to go with Portal 2. The soundtrack is just stellar and is the only game soundtrack that I have on my iPod that I can listen to on shuffle and have a damn good time.

Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

Tox

Ms. Fortune is best pone
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
NSW, Australia
steamcommunity.com
Crypt of the Necrodancer blew my mind! Like, for real.
Undertale has some sweet tunes and catchy songs.
Skullgirls has a smooth soundtrack. It's actually introduced me to a few good jazz artists.
Skyrim is nice for atmospheric soundscapes.

Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

NeoTensai

Twitch Streamer, Amateur Shoutcaster...
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 11, 2016
Slovenia, Ljubljana
Ok maybe I am a bit old school but why has no one mentioned some of the best gaming sound tracks from the olden days.
I am talking about NFS underground 1 and 2, also Most wanted. Then you have NHL 2007, it had some sick tracks as well. And who can forget Sonic battle OST for GBA.

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
Ok maybe I am a bit old school but why has no one mentioned some of the best gaming sound tracks from the olden days.
I am talking about NFS underground 1 and 2, also Most wanted. Then you have NHL 2007, it had some sick tracks as well. And who can forget Sonic battle OST for GBA.
Old school? Riiiiiight. Aren't most of those 3D games? Loose definitions thar!

I suppose I'll give you the GBA though. Barely.

I kid, I kid though. I mean, I wasn't around to enjoy the earlier game consoles, I my first console was a Genesis (followed by a SNES), which is probably too 'new' for those that played games that were loaded on tapes and floppies.

For me, 'old school' is 8 and 16 bit era and earlier. The original Pokemon games had some good tracks. They may have been chiptunes, but they were really well done. I liked Lavender Town (and the Tower within) the most.

Moon Drops

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016

The Nights into Dreams and Undertale OST are my absolute favorites.

CactusPearGamer

Sheep Dude
Banished to the Hold
Feb 4, 2016
Southeastern United States
Wario Land 4 is my childhood, and while the soundtrack by itself may be tinny on its due to it being on GBA, you've still got to appreciate its stylistic contrast with the music in the standard Mario games.

Redness

The Class Pet
Oct 17, 2016
Fœnum
www.youtube.com
Top 10:
REAL number 1 pick: Thems Fightin' Herds... duh
1. Free Realms: 2. Pirates Online: 3. Hotline Miami: 4. FTL: Faster Than Light: 5. Madness Project Nexus: 6. Terraria: 7. Orcs Must Die 2: 8. Organ Trail: 9. Call of Duty: World at War: 10. No Mans Sky:

Reactions: Tox

Ultra Lucky Cat

Best Felyne Food Skill
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I have a bunch of favorite OSTs, but I'm gonna keep this post strictly Guilty Gear. Basically, the entirety of the OST from the first game up to now.

Character/Stage themes

Guilty Gear Isuka - Exceptional Routine Work

Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus - Keep In Gates

Guilty Gear Xrd Sign - Just Do It (By far one of my current favorites)

Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator - Juno

Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator - Tsuki no Shihai

And that's not even getting into their great vocal tracks. Of course, they're kinda Engrishy, but that's part of the charm, I think.

Guilty Gear Xrd Sign - Big Blast Sonic

Guilty Gear Xrd Sign - Storyteller

Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator - Wanna Be Crazy

Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator - Sky Should Be High (Vocal Version)

Guilty Gear Xrd Rev. 2 - Break A Spell (There's no full version yet, but the trailer version was enough to make it my new favorite.)

Honestly, I could go on, this series has a stellar soundtrack, but these are my current favorites.