Favorite DLC

D96

Michigan Wolverines Fanatic
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Michigan
www.reddit.com
So DLC is a pretty standard thing in gaming now, for better or for worse. There have been some pretty awful ones out there, but there's also been some real gems. What were the best DLCs that you guys have played? Feel free to recommend them to everyone!

SubrosianDimitri

The King of Poor Decision Making
Crowdfund Backer
One Way Heroics Plus by a long shot! It adds tons of stuff to the base game. More items, more terrain types, more enemy types, more recruitable characters, more character classes, and an added pinch of difficulty. The main turnoff I've seen for quite a few people is that it costs more than the base game, but it's totally worth that investment.

Solvandus

Chin Piece
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
The Wrath of the Lamb DLC for the original The Binding of Isaac; I'd say Afterbirth was cool too, buuut I only played it one time >o> (I'm gonna need to start a new file to re-hype myself)

Also really liked the "DLC" for Epic Battle Fantasy 4 and Bullet Heaven 2, which was free by default, but then you could buy it on Steam for a DLC's worth of features.

Oh, and way back when, buying the zombie maps for CoD: World at War and Black Ops~

Reactions: Regretfulspark

Regretfulspark

If it runs on batteries I'll see it!! (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 16, 2016
USA
www.ironponymercs.com
Oh, and way back when, buying the zombie maps for CoD: World at War and Black Ops~
Yes! Black Ops is probably my favorite COD of all time. Specifically the Zombie DLC mode. I've spent soo many hours playing zombies with friends man. Ohhhhh shooting off zombie heads, trying to figure out the maps easter eggs, and just fighting over the mystery box was a ton of fun. Ahh good times.

Reactions: Solvandus

Whitetail

Mane6 Dev
Mane6 Developer
Feb 3, 2016
soundcloud.com
The Claptastic Voyage for Borderlands the Presequel was such an entertaining and long DLC it's probably had the most bang for your buck out of most DLC content I've played and really more felt like how old games would release like... expansion pack campaigns and stuff and less what people typically think of as DLC with like, just adding 1 thing to a game

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
Zombie Island for Borderlands 1 was nice. General Knoxx DLC for the same game added a fair bit too, including a Raid boss.

Beat Hazard's Ultra DLC essentially remade the game, making it like you bought Beat Hazard 1.5.

Reactions: Regretfulspark

Regretfulspark

If it runs on batteries I'll see it!! (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 16, 2016
USA
www.ironponymercs.com
The Claptastic Voyage for Borderlands the Presequel was such an entertaining and long DLC it's probably had the most bang for your buck out of most DLC content I've played and really more felt like how old games would release like... expansion pack campaigns and stuff and less what people typically think of as DLC with like, just adding 1 thing to a game
Zombie Island for Borderlands 1 was nice. General Knoxx DLC for the same game added a fair bit too, including a Raid boss.

Beat Hazard's Ultra DLC essentially remade the game, making it like you bought Beat Hazard 1.5.
Yes! Exactly this! It's a shame you don't see much of this anymore. Last I've felt this way towards DLC was with Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare. I know I know. It was a standalone. It was however considered DLC by many. Same place, New missions, New weapons and New game modes....all for less than 20 bucks.

D96

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Michigan
www.reddit.com
Old world blues, one of the best dialogue in any game ever, and that was in the first five minutes. I would quote some, but I fear it's above the ratings for this forum. :p
Old World Blues is probably my favorite as well. I was laughing so hard after the intro dialogue, and it only got better from there. Everything about that DLC was fantastic; the writing was hilarious, the content was pretty sizable, and it was just a lot of fun!

I actually haven't played Claptastic Voyage (or really any of the DLC for the Pre-Sequel). How does it compare content-wise to Boderlands 2's DLC?

Last edited by a moderator:

Szkieletor

Ngasta! Kvata! Kvakis!
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Old world blues, one of the best dialogue in any game ever, and that was in the first five minutes. I would quote some, but I fear it's above the ratings for this forum. :p
I was speechless through most of the DLC because I couldn't comprehend what the hell I just walked into. Hilarious dialogue, memorable characters, cool scenery, great unique items and a cool player home. Absolutely the best DLC I have ever played.
If only that stealth suit would stop addicting me to med-x though. I'm okay with the constant chattering but please stop stuffing me with painkillers when I stub my toe please.

Clover102

Aspiring Animator
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
my house
clover102.tumblr.com
Xcom enemy within added alot it was more of an expansion pack than a dlc adding on the base game. Adding new alienz genemodding MECS and a whole other group of humans to fight the EXALT I miss Mecs there not in xcom 2

Whitetail

Mane6 Dev
Mane6 Developer
Feb 3, 2016
soundcloud.com
I actually haven't played Claptastic Voyage (or really any of the DLC for the Pre-Sequel). How does it compare content-wise to Boderlands 2's DLC?
There's way more content than most of the DLC from Borderlands 2, it's pretty much on level with Captain Scarlet and her Pirate's Booty as far as the complete feeling of it though if I remember correctly it took me longer to beat and had more unique stuff added to it. Basically it adds a whole new world to explore through claptrap's mind that's pretty huge, the writing's really funny and entertaining just like you'd expect from the game, it added a new special type of guns with glitch weapons (they have graphic glitches and every so many reloads they'll apply a random buff that decimates enemies (like turning a regular gun into a shotgun equivelant, gaining burst fire amping the damage or even getting an effect like an Amp shield's damage boost) and added pretty much the hardest boss I've ever fought in a borderlands game that wasn't an optional raid boss.

Btw don't double post, if you want to add more and no one's replied to the thread yet just edit your post to add it in there instead of posting again

D96

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Michigan
www.reddit.com
There's way more content than most of the DLC from Borderlands 2, it's pretty much on level with Captain Scarlet and her Pirate's Booty as far as the complete feeling of it though if I remember correctly it took me longer to beat and had more unique stuff added to it. Basically it adds a whole new world to explore through claptrap's mind that's pretty huge, the writing's really funny and entertaining just like you'd expect from the game, it added a new special type of guns with glitch weapons (they have graphic glitches and every so many reloads they'll apply a random buff that decimates enemies (like turning a regular gun into a shotgun equivelant, gaining burst fire amping the damage or even getting an effect like an Amp shield's damage boost) and added pretty much the hardest boss I've ever fought in a borderlands game that wasn't an optional raid boss.

Btw don't double post, if you want to add more and no one's replied to the thread yet just edit your post to add it in there instead of posting again
Interesting, the glitch weapon thing sounds really unique, reminds me of Claptrap's own VaultHunter.exe power. I've heard that it was really fun and funny, so I'll have to give it a shot. I thought Captain Scarlet's DLC was pretty sizable, so this one sounds like it'd be worth it.

Out of that series, my favorite was probably Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep, mainly 'cause of the entire atmosphere of it. I thought it was really clever to have the characters actually playing as you and how Tina altered the world as you went along. Also, I'm normally not a fan of paying money for extra characters, but I really had a lot of fun playing as the Mechromancer; the Anarchy tree was so crazy to use, and I loved it!

And yeah, sorry 'bout the double post, I hurried to put out my two thoughts and didn't even think about that until you mentioned it; I appreciate the heads up though!

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
Hmmmmm...... I have no Idea:D

Maybe Tales of Valor for Company of Heroes, though that was an expansion, not a dlc.
Oh, yeah The Tiny Tina dlc for Borderlands 2. It had a much better rythm than the standard game itself.

Gyrohullu

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 20, 2016
Finland
www.studiomaunu.fi
The Claptastic thing for Borderlands TPS was the first thing that popped to my mind, too. I really enjoy that one.
Also the custom maps for Portal and the occasional good Portal 2 map (though these are not that official).

Necroceine

One Fiery Birdie
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Connecticut, USA
I definitely agree with all the people talking about Borderlands. Especially Tiny Tina, as an avid tabletop rpg player I enjoyed a lot of the jokes. The new grenade types being spells was also really cool.

But also Dark Souls 1 and both 2 had amazing DLC, that's what I thought of first. They both really shed new light on the stories, on top of being great gameplay-wise and giving cool new weapons/spells. DS1's still has one of the most widely used PvP areas to this day. DS2's three are largely considered better than the base game.