Favorite Cut-scene?

TigerKirby215

I should be doing work right now
Crowdfund Backer
Mar 29, 2016
Cut-scenes have become such a common staple in games that they're usually just watched once or ignored. Regardless, there are some truly impressive cut-scenes out there, and I want to bring them into the light.

Easily one of my favorites is the ADVENT Retaliation Mission cut-scene from XCOM 2. No spoilers as this happens within the first 10 minutes of game-play or so.
To quote Episode 3 of my XCOM 2 Let's Play:
TigerKirby215 said:
Oh man I *ing love that cut-scene. It is just... so awesome.
What about you?
Try to use spoiler boxes if it's a cut-scene that happens later in the game, and if it's an into cut-scene there's another thread for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamerdude854

D96

Michigan Wolverines Fanatic
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Michigan
www.reddit.com
The first one that comes to mind is the "Monsters" cutscenes from Halo Wars. Probably not my favorite cutscene, but it's pretty awesome. Speaking of Halo, I also enjoyed the Gravemind introduction from Halo 2, even if it is just a massive exposition dump.

Bardiel

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Cologne, Germany
I'm going with Metal Gear Rising and whole build-up of the final showdown. It is over the top at all points (pretty much as the whole game :p )

The video contains the whole boss battle, so I put it into spoiler tags

Time markers for the sequences are
13:10 -15:18 (Don't f**k with this senator)
16:10 - 22:48
24:48 - 29:50

Reactions: Gamerdude854

Whitetail

Mane6 Dev
Mane6 Developer
Feb 3, 2016
soundcloud.com
The first thing that comes to mind to me is pretty much the entirity of the final confirmation with Senator Armstrong in Metal Gear Rising

I mean the memes kinda spoiled everything for anyone who hasn't played the game but I guess I'll spoiler tag it anyways

It's kinda the whole package really that makes me love the final level of this game so much. It's not even the most fun boss battle of the game but dealing with the themes of cybernetics and what's really human and then facing this massive example of pretty much primal strength whereas Raiden cut through everyone before with cold calculated machine efficiency is pretty cool. Jetstream Sam's more the example of true "human excellence" considering the (also spoiler) extent of his cybernetic augments was repairing his arm (that armstrong broke) and his strength enhancing suit, all his ridiculous swordplay and over the top skill was completely unaided by machines - something that Raiden often seemed to feel conflicted about, how he was so much of a killing machine after pretty much nothing of his body was left human. But whereas everyone you fought before was a skilled fighter to some degree you end up fighting this ridiculous Murica' guy who's entire fighting strategy is based on football and you spend 30 minutes getting destroyed as nothign you do seems to phase him. And then on top of that you get pretty much the most iconic example of metal in a video game egging you on in the confrontation, the whole thing was just executed flawlessly. The game's pacing overall left a bit to be desired (especially considering how short it was) but this whole sequence feels so good and how it flows in and out from gameplay and cutscenes really pulls off what a lot of games fail to do with quick time events. Idk I could just gush about most of this game but this moment was just so satisfying.

Also it's cheesy and cliche by now but I absolutely love the intro cutscenes to most Kingdom Hearts game, it's such a creative attempt and introducing the story and it's interesting how they all basically show the entire story of the game even if it doesn't really make much sense when you first see it

Last edited:

neopokekun

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 5, 2016
The introduction / opening credits of Vagrant Story (PSX). From when you start a new game to the late title card. This game was Square at it's best.