Extremely restricted and permanently locked content in Games.

Do you think that unlockable content in games is too restricted nowadays?

• YES

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • NO

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • I don't care

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

Nadia

Feb 4, 2016
Germany
There a things that I realy dislike in some features that I realy dislike in some Games, like extreme restriction of unlockable ingame content.

What I mean is if there is Content in a Game that 50% or even 90% of the Gamers can't use and enjoy because of stupid reasons, this can be things like a Level, Skin, Character, Weapon or anything else is only accessible for players from a specific region, or something can only be unlocked by Buying a Game on Day 1, or one of my "favorites" singeplayer content that can only be unlocked in Multyplayer modes or Events and becomes unaccessible if multiplayer servers shut down, or the Multiplayer community dies for some other reasons and so on.

Unlockable content has sadly become a rare thing in many games since the invention of DLC's, Achivements, and forced online modes, and some companies still seem to think it is still not rare enough, even if a game has normal unlockable content, it is often becomes chore to unlock it because of the Achivement nonsense, and games become less fun for me this way.

I realy hate things like that and realy get the feeling that only hackers can enjoy games like that, because they can unlock everything realy easy, and I begin to miss the times where I could use Cheats to unlock everything in a Game if I lost my savegame for example and was so lazy to unlock everything again.

What do you guys think about that?

Last edited:

Tox

Ms. Fortune is best pone
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
NSW, Australia
steamcommunity.com
I think a couple of unlockables can give u a sense of purpose. But, having said that, I'm more likely to use cheats in that case --MAYBE.
It depends on how hard it is to unlock and how worth it the reward is.

Reactions: Nadia

Nadia

Feb 4, 2016
Germany
I think a couple of unlockables can give u a sense of purpose. But, having said that, I'm more likely to use cheats in that case --MAYBE.
It depends on how hard it is to unlock and how worth it the reward is.
And what do you think about games where unlockables are tied to Achivements/Trophys where you can't use cheats to get them?

Would you give up at some point if you are not able to get the Achivement, or would you use other means to get the "Item" you want, for example editing the Savegame, or using Mods or Hacks?

I'm asking that because I'm in a Situation right now where I realy want to get something in a game, but I don't see any way to get that item in a legit way, the item is tied to a Achivement I'm not able to get and there are no official cheats to get it, and the only other way to get it would be by using outside tools to manipulate the game.

Reactions: Tox

Tox

Ms. Fortune is best pone
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
NSW, Australia
steamcommunity.com
I've never been in that situation. I haven't encountered anything like that either. But, I am a filthy casual. So, yea...

I'm asking that because I'm in a Situation right now where I really want to get something in a game, but I don't see any way to get that item in a legit way, the item is tied to a Achievement I'm not able to get and there are no official cheats to get it, and the only other way to get it would be by using outside tools to manipulate the game.
From where I stand, I think you'd be justified in using alternative means to acquire the 'item'. What is it exactly?

Nadia

Feb 4, 2016
Germany
From where I stand, I think you'd be justified in using alternative means to acquire the 'item'. What is it exactly?
They are just skins for a Type of Creature you can use in the Game, that you only can get with aAchivement in the Game in a specific game mode, the problem I have with that is that the Mode is realy Hard, and most players who already had the Skins used Glitches to even beat that mode and get the Achivement, but at the Time I found out abut this glitches they where already been fixed by the Devs.

I don't enjoy this Gamemode and playing a Mode over and over that is not fun for you get's frustrating over time.

Octavia

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
I have problems with heavily incentivizing paying a large amount of money for something that has a limited timeframe before it is unobtainable forever. Perfect example of this are some of the exclusive rewards you get from DOTA Battlepasses. At certain levels of Battlepass, you unlock special skins and stuff, that will never be obtainable ever again after the battlepass expires. The problem is that you can buy levels, and it is unfeasable to assume that you can 'grind' your way to that level without buying levels. It is an impossibly high ceiling, and because its so high, you have to buy that many more levels to reach it, which is absurdly expensive.

SubrosianDimitri

The King of Poor Decision Making
Crowdfund Backer
I have problems with heavily incentivizing paying a large amount of money for something that has a limited timeframe before it is unobtainable forever. Perfect example of this are some of the exclusive rewards you get from DOTA Battlepasses. At certain levels of Battlepass, you unlock special skins and stuff, that will never be obtainable ever again after the battlepass expires. The problem is that you can buy levels, and it is unfeasable to assume that you can 'grind' your way to that level without buying levels. It is an impossibly high ceiling, and because its so high, you have to buy that many more levels to reach it, which is absurdly expensive.
Tell me about it, that stuff ain't worth it.
Though the physical reward for reaching level 1000 is pretty cool...I need help.

Staying on topic though, this is one of the reasons why fully enjoying Dragon Quest IX is impossible these days, since a bunch of the quests were locked behind Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, which doesn't exist anymore. By connecting, the game would basically unlock the extra quests (via checking some kind of flag based on a date or something like that) and provide some exclusive equipment in the online store (varied depending on month), assuming you had enough gold on you to buy those awesome Santa Slacks, because that stuff was expensive. This also means that getting 100% is impossible now.

You can still hack the game to unlock them though, so all hope is not lost if you want a top notch Dragon Quest IX experience.