Dream Movesets

NiGHTcapD

Fierce Rival
Mar 17, 2016
What are "Dream Movesets"? Well...have you ever thought of a character that was in a game, that you wanted in a different game; and thought up how they would play, what their special moves and even inputs would be, and everything? Or even come up with a new character from scratch?
If so, you know exactly what I'm on about. If not, then I'm pretty sure I just described it for you.

This practice is rather easy for Smash-like games, what with their commonalities between characters, but the three-plus-one button system of Them's Fightin' Herds could lend itself pretty well to this sort of thing. I should know; I made some already. I think others should make some as well; I'd love to see what - and who - you guys come up with.

Currently, I have two movesets, both of (potential?) guest characters from Rivals of Aether: Absa, and Etalus.
I also made a quoteset for Absa.

Last edited:

Tunnel_Rhino526

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
I like this, but could I ask you a question, could we also do the inverse as well?

NiGHTcapD

Fierce Rival
Mar 17, 2016
Of course. Granted, it might be tough seeing as I don't think we know everyone's movesets in TFH just yet; but if you have an idea, take it and run with it! You can always go back and edit it later if new information comes up.

Tunnel_Rhino526

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
Spent the past 4 days writing this, started to doubt myself when I finished it and then did some small editing, tried to upload to Google Doc which was a waste of time, copy and pasted to this forum and did one last round of editing. But Now I'm finished, exhausted, and have somewhat mixed feelings on how this came out, but here is Oleander if she were a guest character in Killer Instinct for XBOX ONE.

Disclaimer: I have not watched any of Mane 6's work streams, so the names, descriptions, etc. of Oleander's moves may be inaccurate, different, or completely off the mark. There is also plenty of highly technical Killer Instinct for XBOX ONE jargon that may confuse people who have not played or briefly played the game below.

Oleander

Story: A Unicorn from the magical land of Foenum, she has set off to save her world from the coming of the savage Predators with the powers of dark magic, despite being rejected by her own kind. She tried to bring the fight into the Hold, the dimensional prison of the Predators, but has instead discovered a strange world of sapient bipedal beings with malicious Predators of their own. Coming to the Killer Instinct world might have been a mistake but this is just the opportunity Oleander has been looking for. Whether they stand on four legs or two legs, Oleander shall prove that the shadowy might of Darkness can be used in the name of good.

Combat Traits

Knowledge Points: Oleander learns new spells and upgrades old ones when she spends time reading her book gathering Knowledge points. Reaching a number of knowledge points will level Oleander up to a maximum of six levels. At the start of the fight, her medium and heavy specials will come out as the light version and can be combo broken as such (linker versions of specials work normally regardless of level). Oleander retains her knowledge level and total points collected when between rounds regardless of whoever was knocked out.

Number Boosted Enders: Oleander’s combo trait, All of Oleander’s Enders have additional bonus tools and functionality that is based on the number of combo hits in either total, multiples, or percentage . For Example, Oleander’s Dark Trap resource ender will grant her a number of knowledge points equal to the total number of hits of the combo at the end of the ender.

Knowledge Levels:

Level 1: Start with all normals, light specials, Shadow moves, Shadow counter, throws, & both dashes.

Level 2: Medium specials unlocked, and Horn Dusk unlocked.

Level 3: Heavy specials unlocked, and Umbra Stamp unlocked.

Level 4: Light specials upgraded, Dark Trap can be used midair for more juggle opportunities, Throw range increased.

Level 5: Medium specials upgraded, Teleport can be used midair, movement speed, dash speed, and dash distance increased.

Level 6: Heavy specials upgraded, Damage on all moves increased.

Normals: Oleander attacks with the kick buttons while her book, Fred, attacks with punch buttons. Normals to note are crouching MP which is Oleander’s starting anti-air that causes flip out to airborne opponents, Jumping HP is an excellent cross up and both standing MP, MK, HK, are excellent pokes.

Command Attacks

Study: 3 Punches (Hold to extend): Oleander sits down and reads her book of dark magic, gaining Knowledge points at a rate of 5 knowledge points per second. Oleander is vulnerable to attack when reading.

Chain Combo: LK->MK->HK (Standing or Crouching): A three hit Them’s Fightin’ Herds styled chain combo that can be canceled into Launcher at the end.

Launcher: Forward + Heavy Kick: Oleander does an attack launches the opponent into the air and into a juggle state. Launcher is jump cancelable and is unlocked right from the start.

Horn Dusk: Forward + Medium punch: Oleander slowly slices the air in front of her with a spark of darkness at the tip of her horn. The move is a three hit overhead so it must be blocked high. Horn Dusk is unlocked at level 2.

Umbra Stamp: Back + Heavy Kick: Oleander does a two legged kick with both of her hind legs. Staggers opponents on hit and is throw invulnerable during the startup frames. Umbra Stamp is unlocked at level 3.

Forward Throw: LP + LK

Back Throw: Back + LP + LK

Specials

Dark Ball: QCF + punch: Oleander fires a ball of dark energy. Light version fires one ball straight forward. Medium fires a rolling dark energy ball that has to be blocked low. Heavy fires an arcing shot that has a parabolic trajectory that is good for covering air space. When upgraded all versions travel faster and explode on contact for multiple hits even on block. Acts as a Battery Ender with number boosted damage.

Dark Trap: QCB + punch (Air Ok when level four or greater): Oleander lays a circle of darkness on floor that activates when an opponent is above it, either standing, walking over, jumping etc. All traps vanish after they attack. Light version when not upgraded electrifies the ground shocking grounded opponents, and when upgraded the electricity becomes bigger and can juggle airborne opponents. Medium version is an anti-air trap that when not upgraded fires one bullet of darkness upward and fires three when upgraded. Heavy version activates a vacuum attack that recaptures (putting airborne opponents into a standing hitstun state) opponents, hitting once when not upgraded and three times when upgraded. Dark Trap can be used as opener if the opponent is hit at the start of the move (similar to Kan-Ra’s swarm), a fast linker that has multiple hits (5 as light, 6 as medium, and 7 as heavy), and as a ender Dark Trap serves as Oleander’s resource ender gaining knowledge points based on the total number of combo hits.

Horn Joust: QCB + Kick: Oleander charges forward and attack the opponent with her horn. Light hit mid and has lower body invincibility when upgraded, Medium has Oleander attack the opponents’ legs, hits low, and upper body invincibility when upgraded, and Heavy has Oleander jumping upward instead serving as a start-up invulnerable anti-air and puts foes in juggle state when upgraded. Horn Joust act as an opener, carry linker, and wall splat ender with number boosted knockback every five hits, but as an opener only the light and medium versions act as openers while the heavy version does not.

Teleport: DP + Kick (Air OK when level five or greater): Oleander vanishes in a cloud of darkness and reappears at a position depending on the button press. Light is the corner of the screen that is behind her, medium is the corner opposite to her, and heavy is the middle of the screen. When upgraded all versions leave after images of Oleander in the other two positions to confuse the opponent. Acts as a hard knockdown ender with number boosted knockdown duration.

Shadow Moves

Shadow Dark Ball: QCF + 2 Punches: Oleander opens her tome and fires a large dark energy laser from it. The laser hits six times and knocks opponents down.

Shadow Dark Trap: QCB + 2 Punches: Oleander channels a large dark circle which discharges its power immediately and into a large amount of ground for 10 ultra-fast hits. Can be used as an opener in the same manner as regular Dark Trap, and as a shadow linker but it is very easy for the opponent to break if done so as there are no gaps between hits.

Shadow Horn Joust: QCB + 2 Kicks: Oleander envelops herself in Dark Energy and charges forwards for 5 hits with 8 frame gaps between each hit. Shadow Horn Joust is projectile invincible and serves as an opener, carry shadow linker, and acts as Oleander’s shadow counter move (MP + MK, when in block stun).

Shadow Teleport: DP + 2 Kicks: Oleander vanishes and attacks with four Horn Joust after images at the opponent’s position, even if they are airborne, that come from front and behind with Oleander herself reappearing for the final fifth hit. Serves as a shadow ender with number boosted small knowledge gain (3 knowledge points for every five hits) and is unsafe on block.

Instinct mode (HP + HK): Friend of the Shadows, Oleander conjures a shadow image of herself behind the opponent at an equal distance (unless the foe is in the corner). The double duplicates all of Oleander’s attacks and fires the same projectiles and traps (The clone’s Dark Trap and Shadow Dark Trap specials will not have the opener hitbox), and splits Knockdown Value between the two of them (in short double hits for the same Knockdown Value during a combo) but briefly vanishes when Oleander uses an ender and reappears a short time later. All knowledge gained during Instinct mode is doubled, allowing Oleander to level up very quickly.

Ultra Combo: QCB + 3 Punches: A 29 hit combo which Oleander showcases her magic prowess and unleashes the powers of darkness to finish off her opponents.

Ultra Ender: MP + MK during or after Ultra Combo: Oleander lays her book down and slides it forward so that it takes a gigantic bite out of their opponent.

Stage Ultra QCB + 3 Kicks: Only usable in certain stages, Oleander finishes off her opponent using the hazards in the environment.

Stage: Woodland Grove

Oleander’s hometown in the land of Fœnum. It is a forest of large trees converted into homes for the unicorns with branches and canopy woven into religious like patterns with curtains of natural light and non-sentient creatures such as squirrels, chipmunks, and birds frolic about. The Unicorns pay no heed to the violence in front of them and try to go about their business.

During an Ultra Combo, The stage quickly turns to night as a plume of darkness erupts from the central plaza causing the unicorns to quickly take shelter in a panic. The darkness then envelops the flora and non-sentient fauna of the Woodlands mutating them with a beautiful bio-luminescent glow.

Woodland Grove’s stage ultra has the victor knocking the opponent into the central plaza only being launched into the sky by a single eruption of darkness.

NiGHTcapD

Fierce Rival
Mar 17, 2016
Pretty nice! I seem to recall that, during a showcase for Arbiter, his shields are powered by a resource from his home series that, for this game, is replaced gameplay-wise by Shadow and Instinct. Maybe have the Magic meter and system replace Shadow entirely for her?

Changes I would make: Shadow "replaced" by Magic. Six bar-parts long, charges through use of reading as well as normal Shadow-gaining activities. (Either that or modify Instinct to have similar properties to Magic from her native series.)
No Number Boost. That's complicated. And no Knowledge Points as a Combo Trait either; that doesn't actually change anything about her combos. Give her the ability to spend a bit of whichever meter is altered into Magic to...something. My current thought is to cancel KI-style combos and allow Oleander to head straight back to...well, how almost every other game does combos, with normals/specials/supers instead of auto-doubles/linkers/shadow.
Knowledge Level would need to be based off of whichever meter now has Magic traits, meaning it can go down as well as up. I say leave almost everything unlocked, but have various boosts active depending on how much Magic she has in the meter. (Like Fulgore with his Reactor.)
Rejigger how much meter stuff costs, especially if Magic replaces Shadow. Speaking of which, don't all Shadow moves deal 5 hits? With very few exceptions actually, I know, but it makes having each of her Shadow moves have a different hitcount feel really wrong.

Hm...I know there were other things that irked me, but I can't bring myself to try and remember or figure them out...except for one last thing.
Instinct.
Oleander is not Morrigan.
That is all.

Still, nice job for a first run.

♥ Vanilla Cream Killy ♥

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
Australia
I think I'll wait until all the movesets are finalised, but I'd like to make movesets for the TFH characters if they were in the Smash series and the Guilty Gear series; might do other games as well.

Reactions: NiGHTcapD

danmiy12

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
Hawaii
wow its been awhile since I seen a character mentioned that levels up as the fight goes on they are completely terrible at lv1 but max is a beast (anybody who played warzard know what I mean or playing frank west though he can be used as backup not being forced as your main)

so if orlender was in warzard or red earth (american name)
level 1 stuck with normals and cant use any of her specials
level 2 can now use the floating page attack...and her long range projectiles but they are very slow. all special moves drain your special meter even your projectiles and page books
level 3 can now throw enemies giving her some breathing room and her normals come out faster then level1, projectiles come out much faster, cost of all projectiles/pages reduced by half
level 4 she can now use her teleport move giving her more breathing room...
level 5 she can now use her special attack attached with whatever element orb you have equiped (you pick them up as fight goes on and its limited), all fireballs and page attacks no longer cost any special meter
level 6 damage resistance up 20% (ya pretty much what happens in that game too)
level7:immune to being stunned rest of match
level 8: unlocks her other super that also cost 1 orb does half your hp in dps..
level 9 damage resistnce is now much higher 50%
level 10: if the match gone on this long all supers now are free...you can now end the match with spam...

pretty underrated game...its basically a boss rush game..to bad on the 4 characters...and the ability to save you level but if it had to be balanced you lose all your level progress every match and need to regain them again...

in order to gain levels you need to hit the enemy enough times to build another bar or read your book as you level up you get more and more op but reset to level 1 next round..