Dragon Ball Xenoverse

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com

I got this game a couple days ago. I'm not a big fan of fighting games (Yet I still backed TFH, go figure). I played a few of the Dragon Ball fighting games over the years (namely Budokai) and enjoyed those. This one is pretty good, though I've only been doing the offline fighting so far. I'm not a competitive sort.

It was recently on sale as part of the anime game sale on Steam. Anybody else pick it up then? Or already played the game before?

Anyway, I've only played it for a couple of hours, but it's fairly alright. I've still got a long way to go, and it seems pretty good. Interestingly, it uses Cryengine + Havoc. Both of those, I think, are Western engines. Seems to have worked out alright, no? Looks pretty good and plays pretty well. The fighting is fairly straightforward. I strongly suggest gamepad for this, since it uses button combinations to execute skills and has XYZ open world, and I can't see that working as well with M+KB.

EDIT: Damn, thread title should technically be "Dragon Ball Xenoverse" (Or "Dragon Ball: Xenoverse"). Ah, close enough.

Nadia

Feb 4, 2016
Germany
I played the storymode and all extra quests, it is fun for a while but the RNG to unlock stuff is realy annoying and kills the fun after some time.
The game has some realy good ideas but execution could be better, especially with the balancing, maybe Xenoverse 2 will fix the problems of the first game.^^

Ferettoko

Procrastinator at Large
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
I have the game and I enjoy it. It has a heavy need for polish though...such as for the entire story mode your female avatar(if you made on of course) is referred to as male except for one instance. Pretty lazy this day and age. (and the one instance of accuracy makes it weirder)

I really wonder who dropped the ball and didn't care to record the extra lines on that one. (not as though its the 90's anymore for that kind of oversight stuff)
The sequel looks a bit better, but I'll probably wait for it to be at a decent sale and be after reviews like I did the first one.

Nadia

Feb 4, 2016
Germany
I have the game and I enjoy it. It has a heavy need for polish though...such as for the entire story mode your female avatar(if you made on of course) is referred to as male except for one instance. Pretty lazy this day and age. (and the one instance of accuracy makes it weirder)

I really wonder who dropped the ball and didn't care to record the extra lines on that one. (not as though its the 90's anymore for that kind of oversight stuff)
The sequel looks a bit better, but I'll probably wait for it to be at a decent sale and be after reviews like I did the first one.
The problem is that in Japanese games, the developers often use a japanese gender neutral pronoun for games with custom generated characters, this way they just have to record every line once for male, female and genderless characters, except for specific dialog that is just for Male/Female characters, that saves time and money, the problem with that is that most other languages don't have this kind of gender neutral pronoun, and the translators often have problems with this kind of stuff.

Ferettoko

Procrastinator at Large
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Ah, yes. I know all about that and have heard that reasoning. I still find multiple issues with it however. :/

Its certainly not the developer Dimps and publisher Bandai Namco's first Japanese game to be released to the west(they did Street Fighter IV and the Sonic Rush games DS for example) and I stand by my earlier statement about it being too late in the game for the localizers not to know about the difference.(especially since they got it oddly correct for one scene... why record and recognize it for the one and not bother with the others?? Just have the dubbers record a couple more pronouns and splice it on top if you gotta...) It really just tells me that the game was rushed out by some executives(wouldn't be the first time) or that it was passed to cheaper localizers despite being a larger property that they priced for $60.

I mean, I usually try to give the benefit of the doubt, but to me the signs are there...

Nadia

Feb 4, 2016
Germany
The thing is with Games like Street Fighter and Sonic Rush is, that you have different characters like Ryu and Sonic that get addressed in the dialog, even if they use the gender neutral pronoun there, it is still easy to change it in the localization since you know which gender the Chracters have.

Btw. which one scene are you reffering? what is the Dialog there?

Ferettoko

Procrastinator at Large
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
The thing is with Games like Street Fighter and Sonic Rush is, that you have different characters like Ryu and Sonic that get addressed in the dialog, even if they use the gender neutral pronoun there, it is still easy to change it in the localization since you know which gender the Chracters have.

Btw. which one scene are you reffering? what is the Dialog there?
Hm... that's true, but this isn't exactly the first game with main characters of different sexes...Or they coulda tried avoided using them possibly...?

Hm...I'm trying to remeber which scene it is exactly, but I remember that it was later in the game by the Supreme Kai of Time. I think during or right after the (spoilers?) main antagonist tries to blow her up using the avatar character. It was sorta quick.

Nadia

Feb 4, 2016
Germany
Hm... that's true, but this isn't exactly the first game with main characters of different sexes...Or they coulda tried avoided using them possibly...?
Maybe since they added different dialog for the different Races too, but it was maybe just added to save time since it was possible.

Hm...I'm trying to remeber which scene it is exactly, but I remember that it was later in the game by the Supreme Kai of Time. I think during or right after the (spoilers?) main antagonist tries to blow her up using the avatar character. It was sorta quick.
Mh ok never played the complete story with all of my chars, so I can't say much about it.