Doodles Done Daftly

$Bison

Apr 11, 2016
OleanderColor.png

Fun fact: Had to go to the toy store to look at plastic horses for head angle references.

Since I spent so much time on the head, the pose itself came out... boring? I mean, c'mon, how does one draw a "wizard-like gesture" with a hoof?

0Zero100

Alpaka Representative/Robot Family Bear
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas

Fun fact: Had to go to the toy store to look at plastic horses for head angle references.

Since I spent so much time on the head, the pose itself came out... boring? I mean, c'mon, how does one draw a "wizard-like gesture" with a hoof?
I think it came out great! And I can't wait for the matching Cthullu Dream Beach House!:p

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup

It actually looks like she's prancing. I like it.

Reactions: $Bison

Rich Jammer

By the Numbers Accountant
Backers' Beta Tester

If this is a doodle, I wonder how awesome your full drawing will look.

Reactions: $Bison

$Bison

Apr 11, 2016
If this is a doodle, I wonder how awesome your full drawing will look.
B-but this was its final form? D:

PomDogColor.png

Boop.
Pom's legs are so long, geez. I can see why the devs mentioned during the stream why making a crouching pose was such a challenge. In case anyone is interested in my process, black blobs of color for thumbnail, then I start shaping it with white brush strokes. With that as base, create another layer for rough linework, then another layer for final ink work... err "final." The back legs still weird me out.

$Bison

Apr 11, 2016
The Pom drawings I made prior to that one had her angry, upset, and mad, so some balance had to be provided and I wanted something warm and fuzzy, hehe.

OffModelArizonaPose.png

Since the doodle was this far along, I figured I'd share it before trying again from scratch...
I stopped on this Arizona because I disliked it more and more as I continued. How is the neck connected to the body? Why does her line of action not match what the lasso is doing? Why does she not look like the rough studies I made? (It's the head shape + the horns and ear placement from the eyes.)

All boring technicalities + the initial thumbnail (light blue) has a perspective thing going on with how large the lasso loop becomes in comparison to the body's size, which gets lost in the ink version. I also realized I didn't know to draw knots on traditional lassos. (A Honda knot was used.)

Fun Fact: Looked up comic covers of Wonder Woman to see how other artists integrated the shape of the lasso, but because Wonder Woman's a human and Arizona's a cow... references can only go so far before imagination has to do something.

Can a cow have a Sol Badguy-like expression? It's like a half-smirk, and one of the eyes is shaded so you can't see it, but Arizona doesn't have a cool headband! Or stoic Ryu... or would Oleander be the stoic Ryu? Ah, forget it, I'm overthinking.

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
The Pom drawings I made prior to that one had her angry, upset, and mad, so some balance had to be provided and I wanted something warm and fuzzy, hehe.

Since the doodle was this far along, I figured I'd share it before trying again from scratch...
I stopped on this Arizona because I disliked it more and more as I continued. How is the neck connected to the body? Why does her line of action not match what the lasso is doing? Why does she not look like the rough studies I made? (It's the head shape + the horns and ear placement from the eyes.)

All boring technicalities + the initial thumbnail (light blue) has a perspective thing going on with how large the lasso loop becomes in comparison to the body's size, which gets lost in the ink version. I also realized I didn't know to draw knots on traditional lassos. (A Honda knot was used.)

Fun Fact: Looked up comic covers of Wonder Woman to see how other artists integrated the shape of the lasso, but because Wonder Woman's a human and Arizona's a cow... references can only go so far before imagination has to do something.

Can a cow have a Sol Badguy-like expression? It's like a half-smirk, and one of the eyes is shaded so you can't see it, but Arizona doesn't have a cool headband! Or stoic Ryu... or would Oleander be the stoic Ryu? Ah, forget it, I'm overthinking.
So, I agree with what you said about the inked version. It's a bit wonky. That said, I think the Ari next to that one is quite nice. I'm rather fond of both her pose and her expression. I think you did quite nice on that one.

$Bison

Apr 11, 2016
Ah, thx, OC!
ArizonaColor.png

The new and improved version! I just realized the doodles I've been making have been inked at lowering resolutions between each piece. I should fix that.

On the plus side, I got the Sol Badguy expression I was aiming for. Grit those teeth! The foreshortening on this one came out odd, it's like the stomach disappeared completely...

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
Ah, thx, OC!

The new and improved version! I just realized the doodles I've been making have been inked at lowering resolutions between each piece. I should fix that.

On the plus side, I got the Sol Badguy expression I was aiming for. Grit those teeth! The foreshortening on this one came out odd, it's like the stomach disappeared completely...
What's that derpface on the bottom left?
The best part!

Cowcasso aside, for lack of better words I like how pointy she is. As well as how bold her outlines are.

$Bison

Apr 11, 2016
Aaaaaah. And why are there stickmans boogieing around it?
Argh, I can't think of a good punchline, so the boring truth will have to do... The stickmen are thumbnails for the final pose I was looking for.

The whole image:

ArizonaRD.jpg

I always feel embarrassed by these roughs, so they're rarely shown.

The best part!

Cowcasso aside, for lack of better words I like how pointy she is. As well as how bold her outlines are.
I cheated a bit because I was looking at Picasso's Guernica at the time.

$Bison

Apr 11, 2016
Would they be considered sticky-fingered because they steal from everyone?

It's been a few days since I posted in this thread, and I wondered if people want to see the linework underneath the more rendered versions of Overwatch crossovers pics.

OverwatchRoughs.png

I tend to copy 1 or 2 pieces of concept art as a warm-up to make sense of shapes before going at it.

Velvet's poofy coat threw me off because of Mercy (from Overwatch's) collar, which brings out the silhouette of the neck. I wanted something that was in-character, so that's why the collar's squishing the poofy coat, plus it helps reinforce the shape of Mercy's shoulder pad things in the concept art.

For Paprika, I originally wanted a pose where she's just milliseconds off of pouncing on someone to hug them, but I couldn't figure out a pose where it could showcase the Tracer costume and thought, instead of shooting guns, she's blowing kisses at a rapid rate? I lost my train of thought and the above pose was made instead, using a Tracer pose as reference, then modifying it to be more suitable for a 4-legged animal.

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
Would they be considered sticky-fingered because they steal from everyone?

It's been a few days since I posted in this thread, and I wondered if people want to see the linework underneath the more rendered versions of Overwatch crossovers pics.

I tend to copy 1 or 2 pieces of concept art as a warm-up to make sense of shapes before going at it.

Velvet's poofy coat threw me off because of Mercy (from Overwatch's) collar, which brings out the silhouette of the neck. I wanted something that was in-character, so that's why the collar's squishing the poofy coat, plus it helps reinforce the shape of Mercy's shoulder pad things in the concept art.

For Paprika, I originally wanted a pose where she's just milliseconds off of pouncing on someone to hug them, but I couldn't figure out a pose where it could showcase the Tracer costume and thought, instead of shooting guns, she's blowing kisses at a rapid rate? I lost my train of thought and the above pose was made instead, using a Tracer pose as reference, then modifying it to be more suitable for a 4-legged animal.
Peronsonally, I rather like line art. Specifically, I really like seeing not only the process, but the other half-done and partial sketches as well.

$Bison

Apr 11, 2016
You are possibly my favorite TFH fan artist because of your style.
Well.. I... err... *ahem*, ehehehe, thank you, Cinnam.

My overall goal is to get it to where people can't tell the difference between me and the official stuff, buuuut my shaky hand and tendency to use thick lines gets in the way of that.

VelvetFinal.png

It's difficult to describe, it's like the inked version lost some of that fluffiness, but I am still ecstatic at how this one came out. It's an en pointe ballet pose with the ice sprite helping in Velvet's balance! Kudos if you can guess what her other two poses are referencing. (plagiarizing?) Hint: The theme is they can also create ice.

BypenThynDragon

I for one welcom our new ruler Smugdeer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016

My overall goal is to get it to where people can't tell the difference between me and the official stuff, buuuut my shaky hand and tendency to use thick lines gets in the way of that.

It's difficult to describe, it's like the inked version lost some of that fluffiness, but I am still ecstatic at how this one came out. It's an en pointe ballet pose with the ice sprite helping in Velvet's balance! Kudos if you can guess what her other two poses are referencing. (plagiarizing?) Hint: The theme is they can also create ice.
11/10 needs more smug.

0Zero100

Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas

I'm pretty sure I'll guess wrong, so I won't even try.
But the bottom left corner Velvet looks like she's saying, "Ehhh, GET OFF MAAHH LAWN!!!!"
Bottom right corner looks... painful.
On second thought, it looks downright FUNNY! Like, imagine if Velvet didn't see a banana peel and then just faceplants.:D

Also, just because I want to see these bad boys (girls?) in action...:Pom:

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
Is that a hand warmer on the Ice Sprite's head?
I thought it as well at first, but no, he's just hanging on upside down, and the hole is for legs.

Epic. Especially the little faceplant in the corner. I assume that's the end result of het ballet move?
Also, you can never have enough floof.

$Bison

Apr 11, 2016
In regards to the faceplant, it went something like this. "Yes, I've got it, you may go now." Then there was a *poof* followed by *splat*.

Is that a hand warmer on the Ice Sprite's head?
And Cinnam, Avering got it right with the hanging upside. The hand warmer is the bottom trim of the robe. In terms of poses, the scorpion handstand would be the thing that pose resembles closest.

I've included a handy doodle to show it in the upper left corner of this picture.

IceSpriteReiterate.png

I didn't look at the model sheet for the ice sprite at the time, which is why it's long like a prairie dog. To enforce the handstand, I should've angled the head down rather than up. The right-most is the re-iteration with these in mind, but it's still missing the line of action I want with the shortened length of the robe.

With Velvet's pose cropped like that though, something came to mind.
...She'd probably be a prosecutor too.

0Zero100

Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas
In regards to the faceplant, it went something like this. "Yes, I've got it, you may go now." Then there was a *poof* followed by *splat*.

And Cinnam, Avering got it right with the hanging upside. The hand warmer is the bottom trim of the robe. In terms of poses, the scorpion handstand would be the thing that pose resembles closest.

I've included a handy doodle to show it in the upper left corner of this picture.

I didn't look at the model sheet for the ice sprite at the time, which is why it's long like a prairie dog. To enforce the handstand, I should've angled the head down rather than up. The right-most is the re-iteration with these in mind, but it's still missing the line of action I want with the shortened length of the robe.

With Velvet's pose cropped like that though, something came to mind.
...She'd probably be a prosecutor too.
OBJECTION!
Didn't even need to click the link to know what you meant.

$Bison

Apr 11, 2016
But the bottom left corner Velvet looks like she's saying, "Ehhh, GET OFF MAAHH LAWN!!!!"
Close. It's Sub-Zero's pose from Mortal Kombat III. Those guys are, by default, the "get off my lawn" pose. Shao Khan being the worst offender because he thinks EVERYTHING is part of his lawn and NO ONE gets to be on it.

Her other pose is a Jin Kisaragi portrait from Blazblue. Both references are fighters who are ice-based, heh.

I'm so close to having completed all 6 characters in my simple color series. Just a few rough character studies for my next one.

PaprikaRoughs.png

The general idea became Paprika is playing with the apple as though it was a soccer ball, or she's balancing it on her nose the same way a seal does with an inflatable beach ball. Even with these, I'll probably start again and brainstorm something else to ink. Upper left corner, an actual alpaca pic was used as reference.

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
Make her ram an apple down Fred's throat? Y'now, cus Fred can't into normal food shan't be an excuse for refusing.

$Bison

Apr 11, 2016
Make her ram an apple down Fred's throat? Y'now, cus Fred can't into normal food shan't be an excuse for refusing.
If Fred starts choking on the apple, she can do the heimlich maneuver on him. It's like you're hugging to save someone's life. Isn't that wonderful?

OleanderSpriteCompare.png

I originally wanted to sprite a background as well, but I felt it would've taken way too much time considering the gag I wanted. The style is based off of the color limitations of old PC engine games and dating sims, hence the dithering and more anime-like expression.

This took longer than expected due to having to zoom in and correct pixels just to get the right curve. Shading the hair was difficult in trying to convey that sense of volume with the way the light shades are shaped.

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
If Fred starts choking on the apple, she can do the heimlich maneuver on him. It's like you're hugging to save someone's life. Isn't that wonderful?

I originally wanted to sprite a background as well, but I felt it would've taken way too much time considering the gag I wanted. The style is based off of the color limitations of old PC engine games and dating sims, hence the dithering and more anime-like expression.

This took longer than expected due to having to zoom in and correct pixels just to get the right curve. Shading the hair was difficult in trying to convey that sense of volume with the way the light shades are shaped.
Is can others make?