Do You Think Retro Style/8-Bit Platformers Are Overdone?

Gamerdude854

Pizza Pasta
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 7, 2016
Canada
So do you think the whole retro/8-bit style platformer thing is overdone?

You know, games like Shovel Knight and such.

I personally love these games although I do think that they are a little overdone.

What do you think?

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
I'm actually kind of inclined to agree. For me, the 8-bit/16-bit look is fine, but what get s me is when it's layered over modern game-play or game-play that's not fitting for the ascetic. To me, it just seems kinda like a cheap gimmick to get people's attention and to like the game more just because it looks old. To me, a game should feel as it looks. If you want it to look like a Nintendo game, I think it should play like one.

That all said, it is a nice ascetic, and I would be a hypocrite if I said that a modern game with an old look simply shouldn't be. After all, I do like Minecraft quite a bit, and we all know that's going for an old school look. What gets me are those games that choose that ascetic simply to get attention.

Reactions: Gamerdude854

0Zero100

Alpaka Representative/Robot Family Bear
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas
Only if they're made because they want to appeal to everyone's "Nostalgia feels." I mean, yes, I think we've all played at least ONE game where the graphics were in bits, but if the game is designed to only LOOK that way and not PLAY or FEEL that way, then I just can't fully get the same amusement as if I had played the original Mario, or Metroid, or even Galaga. Games back then did the most with what they had, they pushed limits and FILLED those cartridges with as much as they could because that's ALL they had, which gave them they're unique feel when playing them. I'm in agreement with Gamerdude, they have been overdone recently, but that doesn't mean they're going to be bad or won't have that classic feel to them. I just think they should be few and far between.

Gamerdude854

Pizza Pasta
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 7, 2016
Canada
Only if they're made because they want to appeal to everyone's "Nostalgia feels." I mean, yes, I think we've all played at least ONE game where the graphics were in bits, but if the game is designed to only LOOK that way and not PLAY or FEEL that way, then I just can't fully get the same amusement as if I had played the original Mario, or Metroid, or even Galaga. Games back then did the most with what they had, they pushed limits and FILLED those cartridges with as much as they could because that's ALL they had, which gave them they're unique feel when playing them. I'm in agreement with Gamerdude, they have been overdone recently, but that doesn't mean they're going to be bad or won't have that classic feel to them. I just think they should be few and far between.
Can you think of any games in particular that didn't play or feel like an 8 bit game but looked like one?

A88mph

Game Maker and Starship Captain.
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
a88mph.itch.io
I have no problem with a games graphic style. What I do have an issue with is that "Graphics are Everything" gamers have pushed developers to, more or less, improve graphics, in some instances exclusively, so far, so fast now, that having an expensive PC is practically a must to play the newest games... and now, when we're suppose to be moving into 4K resolutions, they cannot even keep up with 1080p!... even on the NEWEST CONSOLES!!!

I tend to play games on the lower, if not lowest, graphic settings of games like Skyrim, and Civ 5 just so that my computer isn't possibly taxed.

Gamerdude854

Pizza Pasta
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 7, 2016
Canada
I have no problem with a games graphic style. What I do have an issue with is that "Graphics are Everything" gamers have pushed developers to, more or less, improve graphics, in some instances exclusively, so far, so fast now, that having an expensive PC is practically a must to play the newest games... and now, when we're suppose to be moving into 4K resolutions, they cannot even keep up with 1080p!... even on the NEWEST CONSOLES!!!

I tend to play games on the lower, if not lowest, graphic settings of games like Skyrim, and Civ 5 just so that my computer isn't possibly taxed.
While I personally don't think graphics are a big deal, I do think that games should at least look appealing, like have a cool artstyle or something.I think that if a game looks really ugly or generic that it takes away from the overall experience

Reactions: Sutekh94

A88mph

Game Maker and Starship Captain.
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
a88mph.itch.io
While I personally don't think graphics are a big deal, I do think that games should at least look appealing, like have a cool artstyle or something.I think that if a game looks really ugly or generic that it takes away from the overall experience
I agree with that as well. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that, while some people complain about some modern games having "PS2-era" graphics, I suppose that is my personal "good-enough" graphics level. I'm perfectly OK with the water in a game looking kinda fake, if the game-play is awesome.

But this could all stem from my feelings that, after taking classes on the C++ and C#, programming games is an annoyance that I would rather hire someone to do for me, while I design the game itself.

Rocketknightgeek

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I think the 8 and 16 bit 'look' is timeless provided you follow one simple principle.

Don't do them because they're easy, the beloved games of the time had professional artists doing the best they possibly could given the limitations of the hardware and/or software and you should seek to emulate them in that capacity. Freedom Planet and Shovel Knight both did this right, with beautiful spritework and layers of complexity and parallax in the backgrounds that would be impossible on the original hardware but only because of memory limitations instead of hardware effects.

Just don't do the pixelated look because you want to get away with subpar fidelity.

Rich Jammer

By the Numbers Accountant
Backers' Beta Tester
Yeah, pixel art is being overused but if you make stuff like Paul Robertson, you go ahead and overdo that stuff and I'll still flock to see it.

But I really dislike some pretentious indie devs with little artistic talent who makes pixel art like this:

What happened to pixel art like this?

Yeah people still make stuff like this, but the over simplified stuff are too common.

Gamerdude854

Pizza Pasta
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 7, 2016
Canada
Yeah, pixel art is being overused but if you make stuff like Paul Robertson, you go ahead and overdo that stuff and I'll still flock to see it.

But I really dislike some pretentious indie devs with little artistic talent who makes pixel art like this:

Yeah people still make stuff like this, but the over simplified stuff are too common.
The Indiana Jones games had awesome pixel art

Whitetail

Mane6 Dev
Mane6 Developer
Feb 3, 2016
soundcloud.com
Honestly I care less about the aesthetic movement and more if it fits in the context of the game

The pixel art look just works for some games if it's done right

The simple answer is since you're no longer required to pixel it up most people would rather just outright go and paint it or do something less restricting (like Transistor's background work) than spend all that time working on a pixel thing just to appeal to the retro sensibility to it.

Whitetail

Mane6 Dev
Mane6 Developer
Feb 3, 2016
soundcloud.com
xel art meant to be seen on CRT TV's? Well, at least back in the day, pixel art wouldn't look so bad because of the scan lines on the majority of TVs.
I can deal with overscan I don't wanna go back to fuzzy city, pixel art looks fine when you can see the individual pixels

It's not like CRTV really hides the look much at all (yes I know this is just simulated but getting good pics of CRTVs is hard anymore)

Crayv

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Aren't most pixel art meant to be seen on CRT TV's? Well, at least back in the day, pixel art wouldn't look so bad because of the scan lines on the majority of TVs.
Yeah the TVs back then kinda acted like a form of anti-aliasing by blurring the pixels together to an extent.

TigerKirby215

I should be doing work right now
Crowdfund Backer
Mar 29, 2016
I've never been one for "DEYM GRAHPHICZ", so I personally don't mind.

There are a lot of games that are just pixelized because the developers couldn't make good sprites, however. These particular games stick out like a soar thumb compared to all the good pixel art out there.