Distinct Hitsparks for High/Low?

Petea Copine

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Oct 17, 2016
I don't know if this would mess up clarity or not, but maybe it would be helpful if high and low attacks had their own hitsparks that are distinct visually so it may be clearer what certain attacks are doing (ex. Tina j.a isn't a high, Pap 6.CC is high).

Svierrod

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
I don't think that having distinct, separate hitsparks for high/low attacks is a very good idea, though it's extremely close to something that BlazBlue and Skullgirls do.

So, for example, in Skullgirls, if you're blocking high, and you get hit by a low attack, an orange "!!" symbol appears over your character's head to show that you were blocking the wrong direction. Similarly, blocking low and being hit by a high attack shows a blue "?!" symbol over your character's head.

This presents a couple of advantages over having entirely different hitsparks for high and low attacks. In short, it's expected that you'll experiment with moves to see which ones hit high and which ones hit low. We assume that you already have this information. What the block symbols do is reinforce that information whenever you make a mistake, but only when you make a mistake, and make it clear that a mistake was made. It's not important for me to be reminded that Oleander's 6C is an overhead every single time I get hit by it. She might use that for a combo at some point, where the fact that it's an overhead is completely irrelevant. It's more important that the game tell me that I was hit by her 6C because I was blocking the wrong direction, only when I'm blocking the wrong direction.

Having this can help reduce the number of "What the hell? I totally blocked that!" moments. I think it's worth implementing.

Jennatsuné

Apr 16, 2018
Speaking for newcomers, I played at least 20 matches against Pap before realizing her forward heavy chains into an overhead. We need some indication.

tortoiseandcrow

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Oct 17, 2016
Ideally, the final hit of Pap's free t-shirt would have a new animation or at least some kind of arcing movement line effect to visually indicate an overhead.

I think that having a !!/!? mix-up indicator is a good idea, but in Pap's specific case the animation is working against any intuitive read of the move.

Kastor

Mar 14, 2018
I think the lack of overheard movement is part of that moves core design. It's not a overhead attack because of a high swing, it's overhead because all tshirts are.

tortoiseandcrow

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Oct 17, 2016
I think the lack of overheard movement is part of that moves core design. It's not a overhead attack because of a high swing, it's overhead because all tshirts are.
I don't think that it's reasonable to have an attack, which is fundamentally a movement, to be a "conceptual" overhead, rather than an action that is visually identifiable as such.

Kastor

Mar 14, 2018
I don't think that it's reasonable to have an attack, which is fundamentally a movement, to be a "conceptual" overhead, rather than an action that is visually identifiable as such.
Paprika is inherently unreasonable.

The character is designed to be meta and unpredictable. It's predictable that all overhead attacks have a high arc, so she had one that doesn't. It's overhead for a meta reason instead. This one attack embodies paprika perfectly.