Disgaea / NIS Games

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
So, who plays these?

Disgaea is a Tactical Strategy RPG series where the battles are on a grid. Sounds boring when it's described like that, but it has over the top humor, crazy special animations, and anime style art. Disgaea 1 is coming to PC later this month.

NIS (Nippon Ichi Software) is the developer, and while Disgaea is their flagship product they have made numerous other games including spin-offs (Notably Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom, and Zettai Hero Project). More recently they have branched into 3D games like the Hyperdimension Neptunia series. You can see a list of games they made and published On Wikipedia.

So, any fans here?

Necroceine

One Fiery Birdie
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Connecticut, USA
Yes, absolutely. I was just talking about it with some friends after finding out about the PC port. I'm probably going to get it mostly to encourage porting the rest of the series, and maybe even some other games!

I know I really enjoyed Soul Nomad, perhaps even more than Disgaea. It's a shame there aren't many more games with the room vs room combat. It gave a lot of readily available customization and depth, without requiring a lot of grinding (like Disgaea).

I haven't really played any of their other games, besides a bit of Prinny: Can I Really Be The Hero? But all the games I've played I've enjoyed, so I'm definitely open to whatever becomes available.

SubrosianDimitri

The King of Poor Decision Making
Crowdfund Backer
I've played Phantom Brave, and it's a really good game, though it can be a bit frustrating with the lack of grids and stage conditions.
If you ever do play it, use dungeons with the failure title to grind levels, you get weaker high level enemies with the exp they would normally give you.

Frogmyre

The one and only Frogmyre
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Somewhere over the rainbow
Dood! I love the Disgaea series, dood. I own 2, 3, 4, and the sequel to the first one, dood. I might even get the PC port, dood, but I'll have to look into it.

In case you can't tell dood, I love Prinnies!

Brokeneagle98

Computer Engineer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Pacific Northwest
I own 1, 2 and 3, but had to stop buying them as I've only beaten the 1st one so far, and so the others have joined the long list of games I still have yet to finish...

CosmicDashie

Dank may-mays
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Canadia
I have the 4 games on my vita.... now I just need to get around to playing them....
Did jump into the first one a bit, the gameplay is awesome!!!!
Just need to find the time now ;-;

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
Dood! I love the Disgaea series, dood. I own 2, 3, 4, and the sequel to the first one, dood. I might even get the PC port, dood, but I'll have to look into it.

In case you can't tell dood, I love Prinnies!
It's Prinny Dood!

The Disgaea PC release has a physical CE on NISA's online store. It redeems on steam. The Steam version is a digital version of the CE, though the artbook and soundtrack might be separate purchases after the release (currently it's an all-in-one package).

Also, SteamDB lists Phantom Brave and one or two other NIS titles. They COULD be in error, but probably not.

Reactions: Frogmyre

CosmicDashie

Dank may-mays
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Canadia
It's Prinny Dood!

The Disgaea PC release has a physical CE on NISA's online store. It redeems on steam. The Steam version is a digital version of the CE, though the artbook and soundtrack might be separate purchases after the release (currently it's an all-in-one package).

Also, SteamDB lists Phantom Brave and one or two other NIS titles. They COULD be in error, but probably not.
Theres a physical release for pc?!?!?!

welp, im sold now

Proxyvirus

That Dragonshy Person
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Austin, TX
I remember playing the first disgaea and I fell in luv with it. I only have the 4th and the remake, but I really want to try the new~.

Anyone have a fav unit? Pumpkin and Thief are my favorites.

CosmicDashie

Dank may-mays
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Canadia
Were you able to get it pre-ordered? When I ordered (about a day after the PC release date was announced) it was already over 50% sold out, and that was a few days ago.
i checked and it was sold out ;-;

cried a little inside, but then decided still gonna order on steam

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
Anyone have a fav unit? Pumpkin and Thief are my favorites.
Lady Samurai is usually my go-to sword class, she's ideal in one-on-one fights (though Dark Hero was pretty good in D5). Geo Master / Sage is my preferred, more specialized mage item world class. Ninja/Kunoichi are my go-to fist users. Lady Samurai ended up being my strongest class in D5 by a wide margin.

i checked and it was sold out ;-;

cried a little inside, but then decided still gonna order on steam
Damn, sorry for getting your hopes up like that then V_V I really should have checked before mentioning it, or at least mentioned it at the same time.

Proxyvirus

That Dragonshy Person
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Austin, TX
Lady Samurai is usually my go-to sword class, she's ideal in one-on-one fights (though Dark Hero was pretty good in D5). Geo Master / Sage is my preferred, more specialized mage item world class. Ninja/Kunoichi are my go-to fist users. Lady Samurai ended up being my strongest class in D5 by a wide margin.
Neat, oddly enough I never made a samurai unit ^^; , but they are pretty cool for single fights. I bs with the priest to see if I can make them sword users ( I like the way they hold their weps~ ) my strongest are always monster units, rektin units as a prinny is awesome.

Kegradigm

Professional Heister
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Oh I certainly enjoy Disgaea. Oddly enough, however, I only own 1, 4, and 5.

I remember giving some main characters different weapon types than they started out with. I think I gave Laharl a bow, Valvatorez a spear, and Flonne a gun. So far, 5's the only game where all the mains have their starter weapon types.

Like I said before, Usalia's so damn adorable. That combined with her mature attitude makes her my favorite character in the series.

Speaking of Usalia, I recall wanting to make her for my emblem in BLOPS 3. Excuse me...

CosmicDashie

Dank may-mays
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Canadia

Damn, sorry for getting your hopes up like that then V_V I really should have checked before mentioning it, or at least mentioned it at the same time.
Still though, having it on pc, thats phenomenal!!!!

Silver Rain

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 8, 2016
I played first two for PS2. Flonne is my best character in both games!

In Disgaea: Hour of Darkness, nothing like being able to take down Uber Prinny Baal in about 6-7 hits with Flonne!

It's quite satisfying to know she can take over 3 million points of damage and still survive the attack.

Proxyvirus

That Dragonshy Person
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Austin, TX
I played first two for PS2. Flonne is my best character in both games!

In Disgaea: Hour of Darkness, nothing like being able to take down Uber Prinny Baal in about 6-7 hits with Flonne!

It's quite satisfying to know she can take over 3 million points of damage and still survive the attack.
Dayum I wanna get to that point in disgaea where ur just unstoppable with any unit. I luv making an op prinny

Silver Rain

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 8, 2016
Yeah, having a one woman army is quite satisfying, but lead to a lot of hours of play time to get there.

Ultra Lucky Cat

Best Felyne Food Skill
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I managed to one shot Uber Prinny Lord Baal With Laharl with somewhere between 15 and 20 make enemy stronger proposals, but I never got to finish my experiment since my PSP literally exploded. Afternoon of Darkness was my first one and I really loved that game so I decided to collect them all. I'm only missing a physical copy of Disgaea D2 and any of the La Pucelle games. I have the original release of Disgaea 1 through 5, Makai Kingdom and Phantom Brave.

I would have to say my favorite character is Raspberyl (and how she interacts with Mao). My favorite class is either the Lady Samurai from Makai Kingdom or the Thieves from Disgaea 2 onwards.

Last edited:

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com

Description said:
Well, it has had a bit of a rough launch, but apparently the solution that solved my problem (and that of many other people) was to unsubscribe to Steam Beta. Somehow that was causing the issue. My guess was something related to the Steam Controller driver?

Anyway, this is the PC port of the PSP Afternoon of Darkness version of the first Disgaea, which was originally on the PS2 under the subtitle "Hour of Darkness".

I haven't played this game in a while, and it's definitely showing its age in the mechanics to be sure. It's still a title one ought to check out if they have any interest in Tactical Strategy RPGs though. There aren't a lot of options on PC and if this sells well enough, more NIS catalogue titles will likely make it over, including more recent iterations of the series.
Well, that's a bit of alright. OK, it's a pretty old game remember, and it's a port from people that, well, haven't ported anything to PC before according to Steam. Here's to hoping that there will be a patch that improves stability and framerates for those that need it. Playing it without recording lead to far fewer drops to half framerate.

Silver Rain

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 8, 2016
The original Disgaea: Hour of Darkness released in the US in 2003 for the PS2.

Wow, it really has been that long.

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
Yeah, it's crazy. And there have been 5 follow up games including one direct sequel, plus a couple of sort-of-related games, Phantom Brave and Makai Kingdom (MK is awesome. Surprised that never got a PSP port when PB got both a Wii and PSP port).

Necroceine

One Fiery Birdie
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Connecticut, USA
I remembered I actually played Soul Nomad from start to finish, the good path, and I may have also finished the demon path. But I think I enjoyed it even more than Disgaea, the room vs room combat is something I wish was done more.

I've been playing Etna Mode now that I have Disgaea on PC, since I never have before. I named one of the starting prinnies Fake Laharl since the game didn't and I plan to keep them in my main party. I haven't used a prinny before beyond level... I dunno 15?

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
Yeah, I find prinnies pretty crap overall so I never use them for long. Even the Prinny God isn't very good. They're cute mascots for this game, but in terms of usability, not so great.

Proxyvirus

That Dragonshy Person
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Austin, TX
I sadly agree, you can put the time to lvl up prinnies but u could use that time to lvl up a more helpful unit instead. XT

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
Well, been playing Disgaea 2 a lot. Nearly 100 hours on my save. I just made it to Land of Carnage.

Going to do some serious powerleveling next time I play. I'll also be trying to get a Yoshi and Super Robo suit (I have a few floor 90 Infernal Armors, and a level 90 Excalibur). I also need to work on getting Armsmasters. And hopefully I'll be able to find a legendary Infernal Staff to level up.

Also, I beat regular Baal, and got somewhat close to beating Prinny Baal and his Baal cronies. The regular Baals are actually pissants compared to my best fighter (Lady Samurai). They literally can't even do any damage to her. Prinny Baal can hit her hard though, like half her HP in a single go.