1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Them's Fightin' Herds is now out on Early Access!
    You can buy it from these links.
    Humble Bundle // Steam

3. 26.6.18: Situation update

Current Early Access Patch: 8-18-2018

Datamining thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Someoneman, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Someoneman

Someoneman Crowdfund Backer
    Crowdfund Backer

By looking in the game files, there's some interesting stuff to be found. Discuss your findings here.

"Scripts/Announcer/CselVersus" contains voice clips of the announcer saying every character's name. This includes the non-playable predators, but, most interestingly, "Devourer" and "Fred/Fthng". The Devourer was already established as the main villain, so it's almost certain he'll be a boss later, but "Fred/Fthng" is also going to be a character separate from Oleander, which wasn't officially confirmed AFAIK. There's also clips of the announcer saying "who's that?" and "himself/herself" which I don't know the meaning of. There are also clips saying "versus", which, combined with the folder's name, implies that a "Character A vs. Character B" screen was or is planned.

"Dev/Temp/DMS_Music" contains a couple of wav files that were used as start-of-round music in the earliest Dynamic Music System videos. Somebody more skilled at datamining than me could probably rip the full versions of the chiptune and 80's variants of the song that is now the target mode music.

"Scripts/src/Farm/Media" contains pixel lobby data, including graphics for currently unreleased pixel lobbies. Apparently Velvet's pixel lobby will contain an NPC called "Capitalism Elf" who wears shutter shades and sells you hats. Paprika's folder contains the least files, so it will probably be the last to release. There's also music for Arizona's pixel lobby. Why is it not playing in the game if it exists? And there's also a fun chiptune song called "silence" which is not actually silent.

2. super hurricane

super hurricane Well-Known Member

Just curious, but how does one such as yourself datamine a game that just came out last week so quickly? I mean, I'm sure the developers will bring this stuff out in the following months once the first 3 chapters of story mode are completed.

Delusional Dreamer likes this.
  3. Someoneman

Someoneman Crowdfund Backer
    Crowdfund Backer

I just opened the game's folder and looked around. A lot of the files are in an easy-to-open format like .png or .wav, so no hacking skills are required.

4. BaG_2.0

BaG_2.0 Awful at fite game
    Crowdfund Backer

I did a small amount of digging through the main archives of the game. I won't go into detail about what I've found because I don't really know the dev's stance on data mining (and also because I'm not good enough to get more than some file names and approximate sizes for most of it) but there is some interesting stuff in there.

Although I didn't notice anything groundbreaking or spoilerific and I don't plan to delv deeper really. I was just curious. I think there are some skulgrils tools floating around the net that might be able to get a better look, but please keep in mind that the devs might not want this info plastered everywhere. Be respectful.

5. Pom d'or

Pom d'or Gave himself a fake award
    Backers' Beta Tester

I agree.
    On the other hand...

...it wouldn't surprise me if Anu had that FHTNG voice clip in there knowing someone would datamine it. He loves to tease, and it often involves FTHNG. (For example, this stuff.) Just a guess, though.

6. ph00tbag

ph00tbag Backers' Beta Tester
    Backers' Beta Tester

Yeah, remember that the devs are hard fgc fans themselves. They themselves have probably benefited from the fruits of datamining efforts in the past, so they know both that it's guaranteed, and that its inevitability means they can anticipate and play with it.

If something seems particularly proprietary, obviously be respectful, but understand that there's probably also a lot of easter eggs in there just for you to find.

Delusional Dreamer and Pom d'or like this.
  7. ty4brawl

ty4brawl Feed b ack
    Backers' Beta Tester

:eyes:

Also, cool finds.

8. Anukan

Anukan Three Worn Words
    Staff Member Mane6 Developer

Not me this time.

Re:Audio Files. Just be aware that we recorded a lot of material "just in case"; Some of it might be used, some of it we don't have a specific use planned for but we recorded anyways just in case the situations arose for it later, so we wouldn't have to call our voice people to give us one or two lines. For example: They're not in the builds going out to people, but as has been mentioned before, we recorded several variations of VS goat interaction lines for the characters.

We also recorded several lines we intended to use but ended up not working because of timing or context or changing needs and that aren't going to be making it to the game in the end. The fact files exist in the build doesn't mean they're going to be used, or are even planned to be used (anymore). It just means we were testing things and someone either forgot to remove 'em, or removing them was deemed more trouble than just leaving it exist unplugged.

9. Tribble

Tribble Backers' Beta Tester
    Backers' Beta Tester

You could do an "outtakes" reel sometime in the future. :aricool:

10. TWILBRY

TWILBRY New Member

Well, if you reverse the Mood5.wav, you get a motif from the main theme.

#10 TWILBRY, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    VendiMANS and gatorafan like this.
  11. Petea Copine

Petea Copine Crowdfund Backer
    Crowdfund Backer

if you ever remove those files can you preserve them for a cutting room floor page on the wiki (if we have one)

12. TWILBRY

TWILBRY New Member

Damnit upload_2018-4-5_17-0-11.png

Nice joke, devs.

13. ph00tbag

ph00tbag Backers' Beta Tester
    Backers' Beta Tester

That was in the lawyer friendly equines game, too. 100 hits seems to be significantly harder to achieve this time around, so it doesn't show up as much.