Controller vs Keyboard vs Stick, what's best/worst?

Oreo

Keepin' It Stylish
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
D.M.V. FGC
It might be the gate. I myself use an octagonal gate, because I find quarter-circle and half-circle movements to be easier with an octagonal gate in my fightstick.
I wouldn't use an octo gate. Ask @CamTSB, he used an octo gate for a while and it actually damaged his stick.

Ferettoko

Procrastinator at Large
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
(what's worse is having neither cause you accidentally dropped your controller in a trash bin at 3:00am while doing an essay then unawares took it out to dump the next day... ;-; )

Changepony21

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I wouldn't use an octo gate. Ask @CamTSB, he used an octo gate for a while and it actually damaged his stick.
Really?! I've used mine for over a little over a year and it's fine aside from some wear and tear to the actuator.

I'm assuming this is because of the sharp corners of the Sanwa GTY gate, but the actuator is easy to replace and I've switched over to a Kowal octopus gate, which has rounded corners so that hasn't been a problem, though the corners are a bit too far now.

I've since switched over to a seimitsu joystick (also with an octagonal gate) because I wanted to try out levered microswitches which will not fit into a Hayabusa Joystick, and I have to say I like it so far.

Surrui

Them's Fightin' Dweeb
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Spain
www.youtube.com
Some prefer an arcade stick, others prefer a controller and others a ... keyboard? Okay, if you like it...

But all agree on one thing: Smash Melee is played with a controller XD

DShou

Tianhuo is Best Longma
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
dshou.deviantart.com
I've always been anti-octagonal gate, and this image demonstrates why pretty cleanly:

Interesting! I always assumed an octo-gate would make it easier to lock all the directions (since I'm so used to it in controllers having notches for each direction), but I didn't realized it imbalanced it too 'til now

Quid

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
It's great to hear that all options are valid, but I'd like to ask: is there any option that's particularly good for someone with relatively large hands?

I'm most familiar with a gamecube controller, but that won't really work when TFH comes out.

Reactions: OCisbestungulate

BigBuda

Mayor of Earth
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Alabama
It's great to hear that all options are valid, but I'd like to ask: is there any option that's particularly good for someone with relatively large hands?

I'm most familiar with a gamecube controller, but that won't really work when TFH comes out.
With a USB adapter and joytokey you should be able to use a gamecube controller, but Stick is great for big hands, I have sausage fingers and the big buttons are easy to use.

xCROOKEDx

Strongest Bee in the World!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
With a USB adapter and joytokey you should be able to use a gamecube controller, but Stick is great for big hands, I have sausage fingers and the big buttons are easy to use.
I'd advise against Joy2Key - of all the programs like it, it is typically the most laggy. Xpadder is usually a better choice, and x360ce is even better.

That said, this game is using the Z-Engine, which picks up most controllers perfectly fine in Skullgirls, so I wouldn't worry too much about it currently.

BigBuda

Mayor of Earth
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Alabama
I'd advise against Joy2Key - of all the programs like it, it is typically the most laggy. Xpadder is usually a better choice, and x360ce is even better.

That said, this game is using the Z-Engine, which picks up most controllers perfectly fine in Skullgirls, so I wouldn't worry too much about it currently.
Ill have to try those programs, Joy is the only one I have used before, and SFV doesn't seem to have any stick support which makes me sad.

Senjin

Resident Musician
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Chicago
SFV doesn't seem to have any stick support which makes me sad.
Wait, are you talking the PC version? Can you only use xBone/DS4 controllers or a keyboard? If so that reeeeally sucks. To the point that I might reconsider getting the game if I can't use my hitbox :eek:
The game is in beta though... so maybe it won't be an issue when it launches?

BigBuda

Mayor of Earth
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Alabama
Wait, are you talking the PC version? Can you only use xBone/DS4 controllers or a keyboard? If so that reeeeally sucks. To the point that I might reconsider getting the game if I can't use my hitbox :eek:
The game is in beta though... so maybe it won't be an issue when it launches?
yeah PC version, It didnt like my ps3 stick and it works on a lot of other things. Lots of people said they needed third party software to make it work

Senjin

Resident Musician
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Chicago
yeah PC version, It didnt like my ps3 stick and it works on a lot of other things. Lots of people said they needed third party software to make it work
That's unfortunate. Hopefully they'll do something about that for the release build (though I'm kinda doubting they will...)

Oreo

Keepin' It Stylish
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
D.M.V. FGC
Actually, if you're using the Mayflash Gamecube adapter, you don't need any software. It runs just fine; Skullgirls not only detects the adapter and all 4 of it's controller ports, but even properly names them, too. Gonna tag @Quid as well since you were replying to them.

The big problem with controllers on PC is whether or not the game supports the proper input device APIs. The most common (and as far as I'm aware, only two video game controller APIs used in modern games) are Dinput and Xinput. Dinput is an older interface, but for most controllers, it works fine. Xinput was made by Microsoft to make the Xbox 360 controllers work; without Xinput, the analog triggers wouldn't work, since making them analog technically makes them a third joystick, and Dinput doesn't understand what to do with that to make it function properly as a button.

Problems arise when for whatever reason, game developers prioritize support of one API over another, or leave out support for one entirely. Skullgirls has support for both. The SFV Betas on PC have no Dinput support, and nobody is sure yet if they will fix it in the retail version. Third party software like x360ce or InputMapper work by tricking Xinput into thinking that a Dinput compatible controller is a 360 controller, but this can be problematic for a bunch of reasons and isn't a viable solution.

That being said, if the game you're playing on PC has Dinput support, then almost every controller outside of the default Xbox 360 controller should function properly. If the game has Xinput support, then all of the Microsoft compatible peripherals should work fine. So it really just comes down to how the game is made.

Keep in mind that I'm not a programmer, and it's possible that I have some of my details incorrect; but to my understanding, this is how things works.

Reactions: Rexis and BigBuda

Quid

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
This is all really great information; thanks guys! It's nice to know that I can hook up my Gamecube controller after all. The Mayflash adaptor looks like the way to go for now.

The Dinput and Xinput thing is super useful information as well. Great for working out why a controller does/doesn't work. Thanks again!

Reactions: Oreo

Senjin

Resident Musician
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Chicago
Thought I'd drop this in for anybody that's interested, according to an article just released by SRK, SFV will indeed support older controllers. I'm glad that they decided to do that! Though now I'm curious if they're using Lab 0's driver or not...

Galaxy Heart

Caffeine-Based Life Form
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Down the ne'er-do-well.
Ironically, I started on pad with... BlazBlue, I believe.
After seeing the competitive FGC using sticks so much, I thought I'd take the plunge and order a cheap but good one. Just to see how it goes.

Fast forward to now, I find it difficult to use a controller even for games that are developed with a controller in mind, I just love my stick that much.

Epsilon

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Mechanically-wise it would be a custom hitbox > keyboard ~ stick > gamepad. However, the main point is to get used to controls, so the best thing is the one that's most comfortable for you.
Aaand, you have to play on arcade stick if you want to play on arcades.

Crym4x

What do you mean i can't use a bucket as a hat
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
Canberra, Australia
I'm going to put this out there, i prefer using keyboard since i'm really used to playing fighting games on it (i don't button mash) but i do sometimes like to use my xbox controller when i'm playing MK9 or I'm using my PS2 to play the Tekken games

Bucaramangaman

Multimedia Engineer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bogotá, Colombia
ask-bman.tumblr.com
I got used to controller, ps3 specially. Never actually played with stick outside non fighting game machines.

There may be different advantages but some may only be pulled in certain games, but in execution there's no real difference. I've seen players pull out the sickest combos on any of those choices

Rich Jammer

By the Numbers Accountant
Backers' Beta Tester
Controller or Arcade stick? For me it depends. With games like DOA, Tekken, and MK9 I prefer using the console controller. For 6 button fighters like Skullgirls and Street Fighter I prefer Arcade Stick.

For me, controller seems comfortable for doing quarter circle motions and tapping to run is easier. But the D-pad gives blisters on my left thumb.
For arcade stick doing combos is easier. But using all L1,L2,R1,R2/LB,LT, RB, RT buttons is harder for me on an arcade stick.

Last edited:

NeoTensai

Twitch Streamer, Amateur Shoutcaster...
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 11, 2016
Slovenia, Ljubljana
Controller or Arcade stick? For me it depends. With games like DOA, Tekken, and MK9 I prefer using the console controller. For 6 button fighters like Skullgirls and Street Fighter I prefer Arcade Stick.

For me, controller seems comfortable for doing quarter circle motions and tapping to run is easier. But the D-pad gives blisters on my left thumb.
For arcade stick doing combos is easier. But using all L1,L2,R1,R2/LB,LT, RB, RT buttons is harder for me on an arcade stick.
Why do you need to use L1,L2,R1,R2/LB,LT, RB, RT on a fight stick? All this triggers are used on pads so you can easyer use button combos like cross and triangle. A six button stick covers all the buttons you will ever need then all you need to do is press multiple buttons for those skills that require more that one imput. Once i went stick i can no longer feel comfortable on pads

CrushingVictory

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
controller + keyboard is an improvised fight stick, for TFH though i am probably going to stick with controllers this time round

Rich Jammer

By the Numbers Accountant
Backers' Beta Tester
Why do you need to use L1,L2,R1,R2/LB,LT, RB, RT on a fight stick? All this triggers are used on pads so you can easyer use button combos like cross and triangle. A six button stick covers all the buttons you will ever need then all you need to do is press multiple buttons for those skills that require more that one imput. Once i went stick i can no longer feel comfortable on pads
In Mortal Kombat 9 I felt more comfortable using the R2 trigger to block, L1 to grab etc than using it on the arcade stick. Also, pressing L2 and R2 triggers to initiate X-ray move felt more natural compared to the arcade stick.

In games like DOA I barely use the triggers so mostly just the 4 face buttons.
So yeah, for me, it depends on the game.

I wonder if there are threads out there for Flight simulator games where they ask "Controller vs Keyboard vs flight stick?"
Or on racing game boards "Controller vs keyboard vs racing wheel"

But yeah those two are completely different from fighting games. Playing Flight simulator and Gran Turismo is good training for the real thing. While playing on an arcade stick won't prepare you for your career in UFC.

Last edited by a moderator: