Controller vs Keyboard vs Stick, what's best/worst?

CamTSB

僕は誰なんだろう?
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
Ontario, Canada
twitter.com
Not to sound rude, but none of them are in any way inherently better.

Your controller of choice will be what you feel most comfortable with. I use a stick, Oreo uses a pad, and Nappy uses either keyboard or hitbox (basically a stick with only buttons, a stick-keyboard).

Whatever works best for you is the best!

Last edited:

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
Not to sound rude, but none of them are in any way inherently better.

Your controller of choice will be what you feel most comfortable with. I use a stick, Oreo uses a pad, and Nappy uses either keyboard of hitbox (basically a stick with only buttons, a stick-keyboard).

Whatever works best for you is the best!
No offense taken. Truth be told, this is a rather refreshing bit of news to hear. I use a PS3 controller myself, and it makes me happy to hear that I'm not a fool for so doing.

Lanxide

I wish I was cool
Feb 3, 2016
Melbourne Fl
And why? I ask because it seems that many of us here are new to the scene, and don't really know what the difference would be (myself included).
It's all about personal preferences really. I've been using pad all my life but due to certain misfortunes I just said F-it and moved to stick.
I'm still having trouble adjusting.

Met

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I generally feel a lot more comfortable with a pad because I find smaller movements on a dpad to work better than large sweeps on a stick.

That said, having to put hards on the shoulder buttons sucks so much.

Will probably try and force myself onto a stick with SFV when I properly jump in sinceas I figure the main problem lies with the stick it shouldn't be too hard to git gud.

BigBuda

Mayor of Earth
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Alabama
Its all about practice with your preferred controller. I started on pad, and when I moved to stick it took me hours in the lab to get to the point where I was comfortable and willing to play other people, but many more before I was back up to the level I played on pad. That being said, having done a FT100 stick is much easier on MY hands than a pad. Plus, all the customization you can do with the sticks are awesome. Ill see if i can find a picture of my Background Orange stick, it currently has Haggar on it, and is soon to have a R. Mika

Edit, big pictures so click spoilers to view

Furemu

The Great Unmoving Library of Memes
Feb 3, 2016
NYC, Easy Coast , USA ,
while the common is answer is to Just say "nothing is better just pick what your most comfortable with." When you really think about all other controller options have advantages and disadvantages over arcade Sticks. The true benefit of playing on stick is that you usually a fighting game developers first priority when comes to controller options. you can do well on any peripheral even a rock band keyboard. just don't fall under the misconception that all options are the exactly same

inthesto

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
In theory, keyboards/hitboxes should have a mechanical advantage over the rest, but hitboxes are so new that there aren't really any high level players who are accustomed to them over other input devices

Of course, what you're comfortable is going to be the most important part by a long shot

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
In theory, keyboards/hitboxes should have a mechanical advantage over the rest, but hitboxes are so new that there aren't really any high level players who are accustomed to them over other input devices

Of course, what you're comfortable is going to be the most important part by a long shot
hitboxes? What are those?

Patthecat

Oleander player~
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Southern California
Yeah honestly the best thing to use for fighting games is whatever you feel the most comfortable playing.

There have been pros from each type of controller so they all contain the tools to win. Just depends on you. (Of course Keyboards aren't allowed in local tournament play so I would recommend staying away from those)

With that being said, I prefer the Xbox One controller (More specifically the Elite Xbox One controller, cause the regular Xbox One controller triggers are bad for fighting games).

Before that it was a general 360 controller.

Oreo

Keepin' It Stylish
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
D.M.V. FGC
With that being said, I prefer the Xbox One controller (More specifically the Elite Xbox One controller, cause the regular Xbox One controller triggers are bad for fighting games).

Before that it was a general 360 controller.
Have you tried any of the fightpads? The ones made by MadCatz and Hori, respectively.

CammerHammer

I'll be the Wombo to your Combo
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Clarion, PA
you can do well on any peripheral even a rock band keyboard. just don't fall under the misconception that all options are the exactly same
Now I'm tempted to do this out of spite. Besides, that would be kind of cool to be shredding as you play against your opponent.

DShou

Tianhuo is Best Longma
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
dshou.deviantart.com
I'd probably say Hitbox has some nice potential by giving the jump button to both your left and right hand, but it's definitely all preference in the end. I'd like to try a fightstick, but for now I'm doing a Hitbox setup on my keyboard.

Fightsticks are a common preference since arcade, nostalgia, and now trend, but you can honestly do probably just as well even on a keyboard or controller.

Just don't use a keyboard with ghosting problems of course.

Munin

Killer Combo!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
The general consensus before SF4 got big was arcade stick was the way to go. Then players like snake eyez and wolfkrone started blowing up the scene with pad so it's pretty much down to whatever you prefer. I learned on stick so that's what I stick to.

Blastdown

Guardian Sheepdog
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
blastdown.tumblr.com
I personally have played Skullgirls with both my keyboard, and a PS4 controller. To me, the controller played better - but I still didn't feel like it flowed flawlessly (being an amateur at these games, I might just need to practice more). I've been wanting to get an actual Stick / arcade kind of controller for my computer, but most of the ones I find are expensive as hell. So until I find one that doesn't cost me the price of a standard AAA video game so I can try one out, I'll just work with the controller.

Knightingale

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Most of my recent practice has been on the Dualshock 4, since I only recently got a PS4 had haven't really had the money to get a new stick yet (thank god for the Hori Mini 4 though. I'm broke right now so next paycheck I can finally get a cheap stick to use) I try to practice on both stick and pad, and found that stick is a bit better if I'm pressing more buttons (like for a combo) but controllers work better for when I have to do directional inputs. I think I just need more time to practice and fix those issues though.

Beldr

h0i!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
For me playing with a keyboard is ok, but with a controller I can play more time without my hands feeling unconfortable.

Odd Mess

Caribbean Bug
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I only use the controller and the keyboard (because I don't have stick) and I really prefer the controller

Patthecat

Oleander player~
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Southern California
Have you tried any of the fightpads? The ones made by MadCatz and Hori, respectively.
I have not actually, I'm not against ever trying them it's just that I haven't really been in contact with any before. Throughout the years I stuck with a normal controller for the reason of liking the feel of triggers in the back.

Guess my mind just makes it feel normal to me after using Xbox controllers for nearly my whole competitive gaming life.

NimbusArchon

Professional Lurker
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
For a while I played on a low-end Mayflash arcade stick, which wasn't very high quality. Constant dropped inputs, loose joystick, weird buttons. If you're going to play on stick, make sure you get a decent one.
I recently got a Hori FC4, which has been doing well. The D-pad is excellent, firm but easily movable, with a noticeable press. The face buttons are pretty good too, and there're 6 of them, which is nice. Shoulder buttons are less good, a bit wobbly and imprecise, but functional. All in all it was worth the purchase, and it might convert me to a pad warrior.
The major downside to fightpads is that it's more difficult to press multiple buttons at once. Vertical double-presses (LP+LK, MP+MK, HP+HK) are actually easier, but horizontal multi-presses (for EX's and Ultras) are weird and inconsistent. Skullgirls' diagonal assist combination would be nigh impossible without macro-ing the shoulder buttons.

Changepony21

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I generally feel a lot more comfortable with a pad because I find smaller movements on a dpad to work better than large sweeps on a stick.
You should think about getting a larger actuator if you want to shorten the throw.

Yeena

local forum predator npc
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
straight outta wawa
twitch.tv
All about preference, practice, and the game you're playing, really. I know keyboards sometimes "ghost," which means if you press too many keys simultaneously none of your inputs will register, but there's plenty of people who've used them and done equally well in games to someone who uses a pad or a stick. And some controllers are just... easier to hold, than others. You should try playing around!

I use a 360, personally. I used to use a keyboard, but I prefer the controller. I've never used a stick or hitbox, but I'd love to try them at some point.

xCROOKEDx

Strongest Bee in the World!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
One control method isn't inherently better than the others.
Each have strengths and weaknesses. That said, don't skimp out on your control device. A good gamepad or keyboard can make a huge freaking world of difference. Playing with like a Pelican x360 pad vs a DS4 is like night and day.

SubrosianDimitri

The King of Poor Decision Making
Crowdfund Backer
I used a USB SNES controller, but for some reason it stopped working. Keyboards aren't conducive to fighters, though they can work with a ton of practice anda lot of experimentation with keyboard setup. I'm currently playing Skullgirls that way, and it is playable, but I had to completely remap everything so I could play at all.

CosmicDashie

Dank may-mays
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Canadia
I am a dirty keyboard pleb..... i cant wrap my head around a controller for fighting games for some reason.
keyboard just feels natural to me, but its not good for fighting games... a stick is probably the best option though

Munin

Killer Combo!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I am a dirty keyboard pleb..... i cant wrap my head around a controller for fighting games for some reason.
keyboard just feels natural to me, but its not good for fighting games... a stick is probably the best option though
If you like Keyboard seriously look into a Hitbox. They are fantastic and perfect for keyboard users.

DShou

Tianhuo is Best Longma
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
dshou.deviantart.com
never saw these before but they look really cool, i just wonder what the build quality is like
It's pretty much the same as a fightstick so long as ya get those high quality parts like sanwa I think it was, not sure on what you'd find from pre-built ones but you can expect they can be built well.

You can also just emulate it by re-organizing your keybinds on a keyboard if you want.

Max APogee

Five gold and a party!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Kent, UK
www.facebook.com
Generally speaking, I'm definitely the most comfortable using a control pad. While I can use a keyboard if I have to (I'm looking at you, Outlast) I've never been able to properly figure out how to make the most of using them - my fingers always get lost and I end up pressing the wrong keys all the time.

Of course, I don't really have much experience with fighting games, but I've never really had much luck with joysticks either, so I'll probably just stick to a pad.

BigBuda

Mayor of Earth
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Alabama
Hitboxes are also (fairly) easy build yourself if you have any soldering experience. order a board usb cable and 10-14 buttons, depending on your preference and game 4 for directions, and either 6/8/10 buttons for punches, macros and start/select. Then go to a thrift shop and pick up an old jewelry box or something similar. if you have a drill you can install the buttons and boom, instant hitbox.

Cronnicossy

Fighter Enthusiast & Teacher
Backers' Beta Tester
To be honest in my opinion, Keyboard and stick are quite similar.
If it were stick or gamepad, then sure those are way different.

Personally I play stick and keyboard at equal skill, they just seem so... similar to me.
But ofcourse it's all preference.

I know somebody who uses Keyboard, loves it. I know people who only pad.
You do you, really.

DuskyEclipse

*Yawn*
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I actually learned with the analog on a dreamcast controller. MvsC2 was the first thing I played a ton and eventually when moving to MvsC3, using the analog on the controller still felt better to me then using the pad. I personally kinda prefer it, its like a mini stick I guess... requires a bit more movement then a pad but nothing as extreme as a fight stick (tried one and god, its hard to do directional inputs for some reason).

Changepony21

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I actually learned with the analog on a dreamcast controller. MvsC2 was the first thing I played a ton and eventually when moving to MvsC3, using the analog on the controller still felt better to me then using the pad. I personally kinda prefer it, its like a mini stick I guess... requires a bit more movement then a pad but nothing as extreme as a fight stick (tried one and god, its hard to do directional inputs for some reason).
It might be the gate. I myself use an octagonal gate, because I find quarter-circle and half-circle movements to be easier with an octagonal gate in my fightstick.