Controller recommendation

MSTieScott

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
May 13, 2016
Having learned that I do better with a handheld controller than a keyboard when playing video games, I'm looking for a recommendation for a controller that others have deemed acceptable.

The last fighting game I played with any regularity was Street Fighter II for the SNES (I don't have an Xbox or PlayStation whose controllers I can use), so the only guideline I have is "I suppose I should learn how to play using an analog stick." I'm not looking for anything fancy -- just a relatively inexpensive all-purpose USB controller.

When I type "USB controller" into Amazon, though, I'm overwhelmed with options. I see that a lot of customers have purchased the Logitech Gamepad F310. The ZD-V+ looks like it might be acceptable. And there's an LESHP Xbox-like controller that has suspiciously positive reviews.

Are they all equally good? Is one better than the other? Is there another similar option I'm not aware of?

CamTSB

僕は誰なんだろう?
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
Ontario, Canada
twitter.com
When it comes to controller type we can't give you any advice. That's a personal choice for a lot of people.

As for brands and such, you do need something that won't be of shoddy quality. Also when you say "learn how to play using an analog stick" I would really recommend against that. Analog stick will almost always be far less precise than using a DPad.

Obviously buying a bunch of knockoff controllers will go badly, but if you're comfortable with an SNES pad, anything that works on a computer will be a fine choice. One of our other QA used to use one quite often. If you want something more recent, a wired Xbox 360 controller should be fine.

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
My first recommendation would be to look around and find something you are already used to, like an SNES controller. There are a lot of good usb ones out there, or you can just grab an adapter if you have an original one. There probably isn't a best pad, just ones you are more comfortable with.

However, my personal opinions on the ones I own:
The Xbox 360 controller is really comfortable, its main fault is the abysmal d-pad. So you'd probably use the analog stick, which while 100% capable of doing everything (quarter and half circle inputs are really easy to do with it, even) certain inputs, like double tapping for dash stuff, are a bit annoying on it.
Steam controller is suprisingly serviceable. It lacks an actual d-pad, but that touchpad have deep enough grooves in it to give tactile feebdack, and you can slide your finger around it extremely quickly. Or just use the analog stick. However its biggest fault is the face buttons' placement. They are really awkward to use for something like a fighting game. I won't recommend it, but if you already have one, don't write it off immediately.
PS3 and 4 controllers are are probably the best out of this list for fighting games in my opinion, though I don't like their buttons that much, they feel very mushy. Even though I'm using the PS4 controller myself.

I'm stressing though, these are only my own opinions, and I'm not exactly a hardcore fighting game player.

SubrosianDimitri

The King of Poor Decision Making
Crowdfund Backer
I used to have a USB SNES controller, but the wire broke, so I got a 360 Afterglow Controller. It works perfectly fine for me, so I'd say to just use whatever works best for you. The only thing I heavily recommend is that if you're not using keyboard or fightstick, the D-Pad is much more intuitive than a joystick for fighting games (Which leaves the best option as literally anything other than a 360 D-Pad if you don't want to spend a lot of extra time perfecting your DP and Half-Circle motions).

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
The idea that USB SNES controller is a viable option is a complete surprise to me. Like, really? I mean, I suppose it makes sense. After all, all one really needs ls about 4 buttons and a d-pad. Or, taking it down another level, I suppose anything anyone would technically need would be about 8 ways of input.

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
To be fair, keyboards are perfectly good for fighting games. There are a few keyboard users in the Fighting Foenatics discord who can wipe the floor with almost everyone there.

Reactions: sokolgs

MSTieScott

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
May 13, 2016
Thanks for the feebdack! That makes me happy to know that the D-pad I'm used to works better in this instance (the most recent console I purchased was a Wii, and between Super Mario Galaxy and my realization that I didn't like playing Mario Kart with the wheel, I assumed that analog sticks were the wave of the future). I'll hunt down a controller with a good D-pad and eagerly await the launch.

(And I'm glad that there are only four attack buttons in this game. Trying to coordinate half-circle movements of my left thumb alongside my index finger on that left shoulder button always left me frustrated.)

[Edit: And now to go find the inside joke that results in the word "feebdack."]

Reactions: Salty Beef

Thai Ming

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
I want to chime in just to reiterate what (thankfully) everyone else said. Use whatever you're comfortable with. I'm tired of the narrative that you need this or that input device to do good. People win fighting game tournaments on PlayStation pads, Xbox pads, Sega pads... And you definitely don't need to get used to analog sticks, if anything dpad should always be the thing that gives you an edge over analog stick because it's noticably faster to switch directions.

The worst I ever did at fighting games was when I forced myself to play on a fightstick, forced myself to play on a different gamepad, because I got so caught up in the idea that the xbox360 pad was holding me back, limiting my potential... And I'm not going to lie, there definitely *is* a difference in accuracy when you compare it to gamepads specifically made for fighters for example. But it's nothing you can't make up for with familiarity, if you pull through and try and learn something else, there won't be a big relevatory breakthrough at the end of the tunnel where you never drop your combos again, you just spent a lot of time and now you do slightly different motions, that's about it. Still got to put in the practice, still miss stuff now and then... Your input device is such a tiny part of what makes you a strong player it's negligible, going with what "feels right" will do the best for you, promise.