Command Overlaps

Candel

sleepyhoers
Feb 22, 2018
If I posted this in the wrong forum section, I'm sorry. I couldn't find one for suggestions, so I figured here was a good place.

Over the course of the last few days, I've run into a few scenarios where various command overlaps have wound up causing the wrong move to come out, usually costing me the round. The two big ones are the overlap between throws and supers, and the overlap between Arizona's Magic Headbuck and Magic Dash.

First of all, supers and throws. It's kind of situational, but it has happened to me a couple times now in the last three days or so. Walking forward from a crouching position and trying to throw has accidentally given me super. The issue here is that the command for throw is two attack buttons (B and C), and the commands for super say "any two attack buttons". This means if you roll your stick/pad forward after crouching/blocking in order to walk in and throw, you get a super due to completing a QCF motion.

My suggestion here is to change either the throw or the super input to involve the D button. As it stands now, there are two macro slots, and you only need one - BC. Having a seperate AC/AB macro for supers only is pointless, because there is never a time where you'd want to super and accidentally get throw due to command overlap, only vice versa. Supers take priority over throws. So if you used AC for supers and BC for throws, you'd still run into the issue of failing to throw and getting your accidental super blocked. If supers were, say, any attack button + D, you could actually make use of the two macros by having something like AD and BC.

The second issue is more complicated. I play Arizona, and lately I've been trying to use Magic Headbuck, which is QCF D. I often try to do it quickly while I'm walking backwards or in blockstun, which happens very very often, as those are situations I want to armor through things (such as trying to stop a Tian from flying in at me or powering through a blockstring). The issue here is that I'm rolling from 4 to 2 to 6, which gives a HCF motion, and instead gives me Magic Dash. This has happened incredibly often, and while I know the easiest solution is to clean up my inputs and return to neutral before doing the QCF, that often is not a fast enough option in a hectic scenario.

Finding a possible suggestion for this one is tough, because we already have two quarter-circle motions. Changing it to Half-Circle-Back would possibly screw people over who are walking forward and try to use Magic Counter. Changing it to a DP forward would cause issues for people doing normal Headbucks into Magic Headbuck, which is often used in combos. Changing it to DP back would cause overlap when walking backwards and performing a Magic Counter. There are two solutions I can think of here. Both solutions keep Magic Headbuck as 236D, which it should be as it's one of her two Magic moves that are "EX" versions of her normal special moves, and to change their inputs would be silly.

One, is to make Magic Dash a 63214 motion, and to make Counter a 421 motion. This would make it incredibly difficult, if not impossible to accidentally do either when you're trying to do the other. Though I'm unsure if putting something as weird as a DP back motion on Ari is something that would be wanted, as she seems to be intended to be beginner friendly, and it would make doing counters tough for new players. And it might not be warranted for Counter, as it's not an invincible reversal like Velvet's Magic Eruption is. I think it comes out on the first frame, but I'm unsure. This still might be the better suggestion, as the next one is a bit weird.

The other solution would be to keep Magic Headbuck and Magic Counter the same, but make Magic Dash a Half-Circle-Back motion and require D and any other attack button to be pressed. This does seem somewhat counter-intuitive at first, considering my suggestion for throws and supers earlier, but. Super is a QCF, and Dash would be a HCB. There would be no overlap there. Though I doubt it would fit within the game's design, for a magic move to require two buttons, when the only moves that use two buttons are Supers. And, y'know. Throws.

But yeah. Those are some issues with command overlaps that I have. I know there are also times where you'd want to do a 5D after stomps and instead rekka into Magic Stomp, but as far as I know, the easiest way to counteract that is to just use 6D for rope. Or just not mash 2/press D later.

I'm well aware that another solution is for me to just git gud and reset my inputs to neutral before doing these things, but still. This is just quality of life issues, for people like me who don't think about/have time to reset to neutral in hectic scenarios. It's also kinda hard to do so on pad.

If anyone has any comments or feebdack, let me know in the comment section down below. Be sure to hit like and subscribe and enable notifications and reblog and retweet for more awesome content.

That's how you end one of these things, right?

But seriously I've only played Arizona so far. If anyone has run into any other command overlaps with other characters, be sure to share them.

More command overlaps I've heard of are Pom and Paprika trying to 6A anti air and getting their charge moves.

Last edited:

Cadenza

Feb 27, 2018
Hi!

Can arizona's magic dash be 623D instead of hcf+D?

Sometimes i want Magic Headbutt but end up getting Magic dash.