• Them's Fightin' Herds is available now on Steam for Windows, Linux, and Mac!
    You can buy it from these links:
    Humble Bundle // Steam

• Current Game Version

2.2.0 (10.27.2021)

Coal the Chalicothere Returns

Ruzma

Silly-ninny doofus
May 19, 2021
I said, back in the "Ideal DLC Character" thread that I'd think a chalicothere is, hands-down, the best possible option for a grappler (with big buttons, presumably) and so, I felt like drawing up an example character for what I'd see:
Chalicothere Klein.png

Why yes, I do like paint with my glue, how could you tell

First time doing anything in this style, I'd be down to be told if it works or nah

Lil' fact, I originally had his mane dyed blond (but not his tail, what a klutz), to affirm his delinquent persona, but I think it looks better black. I guess I'll just headcanon it as a part of his backstory ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I might work on him a bit more, I like this laddus

Last edited:
Reactions: TerrorCooper

Ruzma

Silly-ninny doofus
May 19, 2021
'Eyy, been a while! Been workin' on da lad from the shadows and he now has has a name!
Meet Coal!
TFH_Chalicothere_BigArt_alt.png

Or Charcoal, I dunno. He could've been named after a relative of that name, who knows.
In general, I'd want his people to go with types of rocks and stones for their names.

If you were wonderin' why I made him so angwy, that's because I wanted him to be a scary grappler, with armored moves, so him being so furious he just sheer wills his way through hits made sense to me.
I'd see that as his Magic gimmick, something like Rage in Samurai Shodown, where it accumulates upon hit (even on block, though, not as much) and you can spend it on Armored EX Specials or unique Specials to close the gap n' turn the tides.

In terms of background, his deal is that he comes from a very ancient, loooooong-forgotten species that I'd like to call either the Therions or the gravellers, that, eons ago, moved out en masse towards what is basically Fantasy Australia
That's right
He's a true blue. After all, only Straya could house critters like these.

He's actually a bit of an outcast among his people, for while they are all mighty giant beasts, he was born a midget. Suffice to say, being called an "ankle biter" all his life, he had it a bit rough. Fortunately, he always had his dad, and later, his best friend (and secret crush!) to comfort him.

But on one day when he'd been away, he'd come back to find his tribe in disarray after an attack by mysterious shadow beings, whom had hurt his loved ones in the process, something he couldn't stand for.
And so then, he would set out to hand some payback on them nasty critters, and nobody better stop him!

I'll continue to make stuff for him, right now, I be designin' some schmoves! I might even tryna animate them.

Last edited:

TerrorCooper

Apr 28, 2021
I like this! Maybe after you develop Coal's move-set, you could do some intro banter of him interacting with the other fighters?

Ruzma

Silly-ninny doofus
May 19, 2021
Haha, he'd have a field day on Tian alone! Sure! I'll go ahead and do that. Thanks, friend!

TerrorCooper

Apr 28, 2021
You’re welcome. Just don’t overwork yourself on this, okay? I’m completely willing to wait while you take things on step at a time.

Reactions: Ruzma

Ruzma

Silly-ninny doofus
May 19, 2021
Took me a while, but I finally made some test animations for:
Charcoal Command Grab.gif

The Command Grab
Charcoal Anti-Air Grab.gif

Anti-Air Command Grab
Charcoal Front Throw.gif

...and a normal throw!

Admiteddly, I think I'd like to remake the last one, the transition is utter whack, and maybe add recovery frame for all of them later on. Other things I think I could do or a rolling attack and a chop, but that'll come on its own time.

Last edited:

TerrorCooper

Apr 28, 2021
These all look real good! Then again, I've literally never done this before, so that's a super low fruit to pick.

Ruzma

Silly-ninny doofus
May 19, 2021
I've been told on various Discord servers that they do indeed look gucci.
Animation is not "that" hard, it just takes time and thinking. It's tiresome work, more so than people think, but if they say it "looks good", then it's mission accomplished!

By the way, I can't believe I forgot about it, but in that big piece I made, I forgot the dark grey around his maw...I'd say oops, but it does make me think if having it there really adds anything. I've tried adding it back, but it looks like a beard lol

He's gonna get design tweaks, that's for sure. Colors are completely fine.

Also, also, I'm thinking Charcoal will be his full name, everyone just shortens it :)

TerrorCooper

Apr 28, 2021
I've been told on various Discord servers that they do indeed look gucci.
I have no idea what 'gucci' means, but I assume its some sort of compliment? If so, then I'll tentatively agree.

Animation is not "that" hard, it just takes time and thinking. It's tiresome work, more so than people think, but if they say it "looks good", then it's mission accomplished!
The former isn't something I have, and my thought processes are a bit too abstract to really translate them into reality for my current skillset and available equipment. It also doesn't help that my artistic designs require the usage of at least 3 dimensions at their most minimal.

By the way, I can't believe I forgot about it, but in that big piece I made, I forgot the dark grey around his maw...I'd say oops, but it does make me think if having it there really adds anything. I've tried adding it back, but it looks like a beard lol
I personally think he looks better without it, but that's probably just my own (highly questionable) 'sanity' talking.

He's gonna get design tweaks, that's for sure. Colors are completely fine.
So different forms and/or shapes, but the same palette? *shrugs* works for me.

Also, also, I'm thinking Charcoal will be his full name, everyone just shortens it :)
… I'm gonna' stick with calling him Coal, if that's okay with you.

Ruzma

Silly-ninny doofus
May 19, 2021
Phewie! Last post was aaaaaaages ago
And of course, I got the classic alibi of
"life"
that and a bit of being on holiday, too :olliesilly:

Anyways, amongst the goings and comings of my very much tumultuous existence, I did manage to get some stuff done for now:

Dunno what he's sayin', but it sounds insulting.
Coal australian insults smoller.png

Can one tell I started this
And then picked it up again later
First time drawing the cast too, so, I got to learn
Maybe I oughta color it, but doesn't seem all that worth it.

Charcoal Time Out.gif

Time Out/Lose animation
I've always had a soft spot for those; you pretty much never see them and yet they can tell you a lot about the characters such a shame.

Oh, also, touched up this one a tad
Charcoal Anti-Air Grab.gif

Not all that much, but

well, uh, yeah.
I'mma take a break from Coal, but I'll be sure to come back to him whenever I got somethin' up.
Ta-taaaaaaa~