Charge attack timing and combos

tortoiseandcrow

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Oct 17, 2016
Newbie to fighting games in general here, so I'm starting off and struggling with some basic things here that just may not be a problem for others.

I'm having a lot of difficulty getting any of Paprika's combos which involve a charge attack somersault to chain together. Before the update I had difficulties even performing a somersault, but now the special move inputs are more forgiving I can consistently pull off a somersault, but it isn't chaining with the rest of the combo and is instead registering as a separate combo. If I try the inputs for the charge attack any earlier the somersault won't even happen. The timing is so hair-fine that with over 200 attempts each on both of the basic Paprika combos involving charge attacks, neither of them have worked for me. I've not had any of the same difficulty with any of the other combos.

It's not a controller issue - I've tried with Xbox controller, keyboard, and PS4 controller. It might be a me issue, but I'd really rather the timing not be so fine that a newbie can't perform one of the more rudimentary combos of the game.

Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

Brutus

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
Have you tried starting to charge at the second attack in the combo? For instance, in the A->B->C->Charge C string, if you start charging at B, it'll connect when you want it to, assuming the target's still in the right spot.

tortoiseandcrow

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Oct 17, 2016
Okay! That works. Thank you!

That's something that I hope gets tutorialized way more in the final version, perhaps with some sort of visual/auditory cue for the player that indicates that the charge is available to be used so that one can get a sense for the timing. It never occurred to me to start holding "back" during the earlier moves of the combo (my unconscious thought was that this would move me backwards slightly between attacks, and thus slowly out of range), so I was trying to charge during the frames in which the C attack animation returned to the neutral pose.

Brutus

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
Yeah, it's a habit I'm trying to get out of as well, since I've only recently learned that trick from other folks who play fighting games a lot more than I do.
As for it being a part of a tutorial, I doubt it'll officially end up in one. But, having it as a tip/trick/hint popup might be good for people who haven't heard of doing that.

tortoiseandcrow

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Oct 17, 2016
Considering it is absolutely necessary to learn this skill in order to perform one of the most basic combos in the game, I'd be darn disappointed if it didn't make its way into the tutorial that teaches the combo.

*Edited for language. Even "damn" feels too strong for this forum!

Last edited: