Can't seem to perform specials or charge moves

Geneva Mode

Mar 5, 2018
Hi, playing Pom and can't get the bark or specials to activate. I am following the correct input patterns but it just performs the regular heavy attack. Is there some kind of timing to it that I'm not understanding because it seems random as to whether I actually get it right. Using a keyboard and don't have access to a controller.

Edit: I just figured the bark out with help of the input display. Turns out the game doesn't consider you to be holding the left/right keys until the orange ribbon has totally disappeared.

Last edited:

Someoneman

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
I use a controller, but I also have this problem. Checking in training mode shows that you need to press the diagonals and that if you do the motion too fast it might not count (on the controller, it's because I don't push the stick far enough to count as a diagonal).

Geneva Mode

Mar 5, 2018
Figured out the bark. Will upload a video on it eventually because there doesn't seem to be any explanation for this on YouTube. Beginners are a little bit stranded on that front.

A helpful tip if you're struggling with the bark combo (training beginner #4), hold :[4]: immediately after pressing :A: and then perform :6::C: immediately after :C: lands, so:

:A:+:[4]:/:[6]:
:B:
:C:
(release :[4]:/:[6]:) :6:+:C:

Last edited:
Reactions: tortoiseandcrow

tortoiseandcrow

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Oct 17, 2016
Figured out the bark. Will upload a video on it eventually because there doesn't seem to be any explanation for this on YouTube. Beginners are a little bit stranded on that front.

A helpful tip if you're struggling with the bark combo (training beginner #4), hold :[4]: immediately after pressing :A: and then perform :6::C: immediately after :C: lands, so:

:A:+:[4]:/:[6]:
:B:
:C:
(release :[4]:/:[6]:) :6:+:C:
I had the exact same problem with Paprika's beginner combos that involve charge attacks (I started a nearly identical thread over in General). The intuitive thing for beginners is to start charging during the retreat frames of the previous attack animation, and not to start charging during earlier moves in the sequence.

Is this how it works in other fighting games? I seem to recall other games being more forgiving on this front. Not that I've ever really dedicated a lot of time to comprehensively learning other fighting games...

Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

Geneva Mode

Mar 5, 2018
I had the exact same problem with Paprika's beginner combos that involve charge attacks (I started a nearly identical thread over in General). The intuitive thing for beginners is to start charging during the retreat frames of the previous attack animation, and not to start charging during earlier moves in the sequence.

Is this how it works in other fighting games? I seem to recall other games being more forgiving on this front. Not that I've ever really dedicated a lot of time to comprehensively learning other fighting games...
Oh sugar! If I'd known there was another thread like this I would have just posted there.

tortoiseandcrow

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Oct 17, 2016
I just found out that you don't have to have a pure "back" input to charge. You can hold down-back during a crouching combo and it will still count as a charge.

Reactions: Pom d'or