Cancelling Launcher into Different Moves

SnickerDoodle25

New Kid on the Block
Dec 31, 2019
So I was training mode practicing Arizona combos, and accidentally did an overhead. Out of curiosity I tried the same thing with Oleander's overhead, which later evolved into me testing out if everyone can cancel their launcher into a command normal or special.

To do this for command normals, you need to input :9:, :6: and the attack button for the move. So far only Oleander's overhead can actually hit but does like 20 damage or less. You can also cancel into grabs lol.

For motion special moves and supers, after doing the launcher do :qcb: / :qcf: and :7: / :9: and attack button(s). Everyone with this input can cancel (and Stomp can too apparently), but I could only get Velvet's :B: Shatter move and Arizona's :B: Headbutt to combo. I did it for Tianhuo but since she can already do special modes in the air it kind of feels redundant. I didn't try every character's super, but I know that Arizona's works.

I got Paprika's teleport to work but the :C: version couldn't combo, and I couldn't get the other charge moves to come out (at least fast enough to combo). Whether both situations are because I suck or it just can't work is up for discussion. Anyway for those who want to try, do :[4]: then :9: :6: or :[6]: then :7: :4: .

Here are the files if anyone want to try it out. I have motion practice and combo versions:

Attachments

Reactions: CamTSB

CamTSB

僕は誰なんだろう?
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
Ontario, Canada
twitter.com
Oooh! Congratulations!

By virtue of just trying things, you've found a mechanic that is referred to in fighting games as "Tiger Knee" inputs. These were named after the original Sagat Tiger Knee input, which if I'm not mistaken, was :1::2::3::6::9: just like what you're explaining here.

This will work for any move that can be jump cancelled, so Launchers, :6::A:, and things like Pom :2::B: can all use this! The reason this works is because when you press an up direction to jump, there is a brief period where you haven't left the ground yet called "Pre-jump". During this time you can cancel those pre-jump frames into command normals, specials, and supers.

Super cool that you ran into it on your own like that!

Reactions: SnickerDoodle25

SnickerDoodle25

New Kid on the Block
Dec 31, 2019
Thanks. Also, these combos aren't super good, so if anyone wants to, feel free to come up with some.

Also just realized my Arizona combo had an unintended reset... :arisad:

Last edited:

Candel

sleepyhoers
Feb 22, 2018
Congrats! You've actually stumbled upon a pretty good technique that a lot of characters can utilize. You can often see high-level Velvet players doing launcher into Shatter B, and I've attached a couple of files that show how Arizona and Tianhuo can use this technique. I believe Oleander also can make use of it at the end of her combos.

Hope you have fun with it!

Attachments

Reactions: SnickerDoodle25

SnickerDoodle25

New Kid on the Block
Dec 31, 2019
It'll take me awhile to do those combos, but they look amazing. I took some pages (or tried) from the Arizona combo and managed to work the overhead into a combo. After looking at it, you could probably get the magic version of Headbuck in after the medium one at the end, but I didn't feel like going through the trouble after so many attempts

Attachments

Last edited: