Background Easter Egg

Pom d'or

Gave himself a fake award
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
Brute forcing is useless because it gives infinite number of solutions.
The facts that the third and first symbols are the same (reading left to right), and that and none of the other symbols are repeated, make the solution set substantially smaller than 'infinite.'

But there are still just too many options. I mean, we don't even know if we're looking to match an English word, a word in some other language, or even a number, not to mention the possibility of it standing for the six playable characters' names- all possibilities that have already been discussed in the thread, of course.

Kinda just brute-forcing, I looked at words that fit the pattern of the runes (ABACDE), and the most promising outcomes (in my opinion) were "Awaken" and "Ninety". "Awaken" could just be referencing Oleander finding the book or something, and "Ninety" could be days, like ninety days from somewhen.
Amusingly, "idiots" also fits the form. They're already laughing at us for trying, haha.
A certain word we can't say on the forums, that we've been writing 'rareness' instead, also fits.
"bobcat" also fits. New predator reveal?

Nah, it's probably none of that.

ty4brawl

Feed b ack
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
FL
discord.gg
The facts that the third and first symbols are the same (reading left to right), and that and none of the other symbols are repeated, make the solution set substantially smaller than 'infinite.'

But there are still just too many options. I mean, we don't even know if we're looking to match an English word, a word in some other language, or even a number, not to mention the possibility of it standing for the six playable characters' names- all possibilities that have already been discussed in the thread, of course.

Amusingly, "idiots" also fits the form. They're already laughing at us for trying, haha.
A certain word we can't say on the forums, that we've been writing 'rareness' instead, also fits.
"bobcat" also fits. New predator reveal?

Nah, it's probably none of that.
On top of things, we also don't know if they do or don't translate into multi letter things, like th, es, etc.

Last edited:

Alevgor

Canis Imaginatus
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
No, it does not. For example, let's suppose that each symbol represents some integer number. There is infinity of such numbers and also infinite combinations with provided restrictions.
If you brute force with some additional restrictions (like assuming that symbols represent letters of latin alphabet and form english word), sure the amount of solutions is smaller. But the question is, what will you even get from this solution? IMO only more assumptions that most likely will not lead anywhere.

Mighty Alicorn Hunter

Predator Representative of the Darkside
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
The Council
Halloween Runes 2.png
Couldn't find it by inspecting, but I got a better screenshot of it by using an error page (nothing in the foreground blocking)
edit:Got even better picture than my first by going to anu's profile page and screenshoting before the page loaded

Ooh, and thanks for telling me there were new runes mage. I don't tend to peruse the forums and would have likely missed it.

Last edited:

Redness

The Class Pet
Oct 17, 2016
Fœnum
www.youtube.com
View attachment 2190 Couldn't find it by inspecting, but I got a better screenshot of it by using an error page (nothing in the foreground blocking)
edit:Got even better picture than my first by going to anu's profile page and screenshoting before the page loaded

Ooh, and thanks for telling me there were new runes mage. I don't tend to peruse the forums and would have likely missed it.
Image added to my Imgur post

Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

Pom d'or

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
That thing that looks like an apostrophe... assuming for now that each of these runes maps to a letter, does the apostro-rune also signify a letter, making a ten-letter word on the bottom? Or does it maybe indicated a break between words, or.... ugh, still too many options. But, we can start trying out certain assumptions to see what possibilities emerge. Since ten-letter words are uncommon, we might be able to rule that out.

Assuming for now 1. one rune stands for one alphabetic character, 2. the plaintext is made up of full English words,and 3. the bottom string of the new text is a single ten-letter word, then:

• If the word from the original rune pic was "awaken," "ninety," or the r-word (these are just some previous suggestions from this thread), then there is no ten-letter word that would match the bottom string of the new pic.
  • If the word from the original rune pic was "bobcat" then there is exactly one option for the bottom word: obstructed.
I really don't think that's it... it just doesn't seem like the kind of message we'd get in this situation. It's looking likelier (but still not impossible) that the bottom phrase of the new set is not a single ten-letter word.

ty4brawl

Feed b ack
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
FL
discord.gg
That thing that looks like an apostrophe... assuming for now that each of these runes maps to a letter, does the apostro-rune also signify a letter, making a ten-letter word on the bottom? Or does it maybe indicated a break between words, or.... ugh, still too many options. But, we can start trying out certain assumptions to see what possibilities emerge. Since ten-letter words are uncommon, we might be able to rule that out.

Assuming for now 1. one rune stands for one alphabetic character, 2. the plaintext is made up of full English words,and 3. the bottom string of the new text is a single ten-letter word, then:

• If the word from the original rune pic was "awaken," "ninety," or the r-word (these are just some previous suggestions from this thread), then there is no ten-letter word that would match the bottom string of the new pic.
  • If the word from the original rune pic was "bobcat" then there is exactly one option for the bottom word: obstructed.
I really don't think that's it... it just doesn't seem like the kind of message we'd get in this situation. It's looking likelier (but still not impossible) that the bottom phrase of the new set is not a single ten-letter word.
I'm also wondering if the : by the 2nd rune is punctuation or not, because in the 2nd set we have the same symbol next to each other with one having it.

Pom d'or

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
Yeah. The other dotted character from the first set (third from the right) also has a non-dotted version in the new set (bottom row, 4th from the right). I'm working on those as separate letters for now, but who knows.

Rodya

Perpetually tired
Jul 31, 2017
Coahuila, México
Edit: I'm back, let me correct and further elaborate my phonepost.
I've tried flipping and mirroring the images, but, obviously, it isn't something that easy, although some runes look more like latin letters this way.
I thought that the new runes could be some sort of "Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!" chant in a made up alphabet. FHTNG is the name of the demon residing inside the Unicornomicon, and it has a five letter name, there appears to be a five letter word in the new image (at least to me, they also look vaguely similar). Perhaps the five letter word means FHTNG, if it is, the original word could be something like H*H**N, N**H*H, N*N**H or H**N*N. I'm going out for dinner, maybe latter I'll look for words with those letters, because I don't know any word that's remotely similar to that. Food was good. Sadly, it seems like no English word fits any of those patterns.
Closest words are:
Hungan (H*N**N): Voodoo priest.
Numnah (N**N*H): Pad of sheepskin placed under a saddle. (Pom dies confirmed)
Hainch/Haunch (H**N*H): Among other things, a quadruped leg, esp. used as food.
Hyphen (H**H*N): Something that figuratively connects two things together, also "-".

Edit 2: I got an idea, I could try and remember how to Python and make a code that will match both six letter words, it would be something like ABA***=AB****. It may take a while for me to dig up old homeworks tho. I just need a .txt of all six letter words, one per line.

Last edited:

Mighty Alicorn Hunter

Predator Representative of the Darkside
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
The Council

ty4brawl

Feed b ack
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
FL
discord.gg
My current progress on the numbers:

211. 2. 1903. 336.
All a l--e eel
All a l--e eek
All a l--o ooh
Off o f--e eel
Off o f--e eek
Add a d--e eek/eel
Add a d--o ooh
Umm u m--e eek
Umm u m--o ooh

all, off, add, ill, inn, umm

I a o

eel, eek, ooh

Someoneman

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
I looked at the "Halloween-A.png" image again and thought that maybe the first rune word was one of the words from the Faust quote. Unless I overlooked something, the word "Energy" is the only one that fits the pattern of a six-letter word whose first and third letters are the same.

The word is on the actual image with the runes, it fits the pattern, and it would make the most common rune in the images be the most common letter in the English language. I think that these arguments make "Energy" the most likely answer for the first rune word.

For convenience, that would make the second set of runes "EN**** *E*Y***Y**".
The second line might also have an apostrophe, making it "*E*Y* ' *Y**".

Also, I used a Scrabble word finder to find all possible other words that fit that pattern. For the top line:

enacts, enatic, encamp, encash, endash, endows, enfold, enhalo, enlist, enolic, enosis, ensoul, entail, entoil, entomb, envois, enwomb
For the second line, no results turned up. Maybe the apostrophe is making it hard to search.

Last edited:

Rodya

Perpetually tired
Jul 31, 2017
Coahuila, México
I made a program in python 3.5.1 to search for ABA***=AB**** in a list with over 9000 words, turns out there are hundreds of matches. I'll try and change it to search for A*A**B=*A*B*, assuming the runes before the apostrophe form a five letter word, of course. brb
lista1=open("Lista.txt", "r")
lista2=open("Lista.txt", "r")
tlin=lista1.readlines()
tlin=len(tlin)
print ("Total lines",tlin)
true1=[]
for a in range (0,tlin):
line1=lista1.readlines()
Word1=line1[a]
Word1=Word1.strip()
if Word1[0]==Word1[2]:
for b in range (0,tlin):
lista2=open("Lista.txt", "r")
line2=lista2.readlines()
Word2=line2
Word2=Word2.strip()
if Word2[0]==Word1[0] and Word2[1]==Word1[1]:
if not Word1==Word2 and not Word1[3:6]==Word2[2:6]:
true1.append(Word1)
true2=Word2
if true2 not in true1:
print (str(Word1), str(Word2))

Fug, is just as useless, seems like I didn't give this enough thought.
lista2=open("Lista2.txt", "r")
tlin=lista1.readlines()
tlin2=lista2.readlines()
tlin1=len(tlin)
tlin2=len(tlin2)
true2=[]
print ("Total lines 1",tlin1)
print ("Total lines 2",tlin2)
true1=[]
for a in range (0,tlin1):
line1=lista1.readlines()
Word1=line1[a]
Word1=Word1.strip()
if Word1[0]==Word1[2]:
for b in range (0,tlin2):
lista2=open("Lista2.txt", "r")
line2=lista2.readlines()
Word2=line2
Word2=Word2.strip()
if Word2[1]==Word1[0] and Word2[3]==Word1[5] and Word1[1] not in Word2 and Word1[4] not in Word2 and Word1[3] not in Word2:
if Word2 not in true2:
true2.append(Word2)
print (Word1, Word2)

Last edited:

ty4brawl

Feed b ack
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
FL
discord.gg
Is anyone else also working on the numbers? I'm thinking the numbers might help unlock the Tumblr, but it's possible we need the first runes as the password instead.

Rodya

Perpetually tired
Jul 31, 2017
Coahuila, México
Is anyone else also working on the numbers? I'm thinking the numbers might help unlock the Tumblr, but it's possible we need the first runes as the password instead.
Is there any way that I can mix your progress with the wonders of technology? I don't quite understand what you are trying to do.

ty4brawl

Feed b ack
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
FL
discord.gg
I meant how you were trying to solve it, maybe I can help.
Started by looking up 3 letter words with double letters, have a, I, and o as the single, trying to figure out 4 letter words that fit. I think I need a better selection of 3 letter words with double letters at the beginning as well as a better way to figure out the 4 since there's so many different words there that fit, but none that really make sense. :/

Pom d'or

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
I looked at the "Halloween-A.png" image again and thought that maybe the first rune word was one of the words from the Faust quote. Unless I overlooked something, the word "Energy" is the only one that fits the pattern of a six-letter word whose first and third letters are the same.

[...]

The second line might also have an apostrophe, making it "*E*Y* ' *Y**".
I like that line of thinking! Referring to the quote is a sensible way to narrow down the options. Unfortunately, using a few different dictionaries, the only words I can find that fit *E*Y* are all pretty obscure: beryl, debye, hexyl, Kenya, and redye. And no words that fit *E*Y***Y**.

Started by looking up 3 letter words with double letters, have a, I, and o as the single, trying to figure out 4 letter words that fit. I think I need a better selection of 3 letter words with double letters at the beginning as well as a better way to figure out the 4 since there's so many different words there that fit, but none that really make sense. :/
In other words, treating the numbers as a substitution cipher, just like we've been doing with the runes. It's worth a try I guess.

ty4brawl

Feed b ack
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
FL
discord.gg
Those secrets leads to the date when Hold's locks will be broken and the game will be released?
Scott Cawthon's Fnaf secrets & mysteries was easily bettered by Mane6?!:arigrin2:
Edit: misread.

How's everyone's progress? I'mma go back to plugging in words.

Anukan

Three Worn Words
Mane6 Developer
Feb 2, 2016
Penzance
So!, Halloween's over, theme's back to regular business now. No changes forthcoming to Halloween theme (which is in fact disabled 'till next year), no changes to assets expected either.

... Thhhhhhhhhhhhat said, you guys actually did better than I expected! I was expecting that the hidden background images wouldn't be found at all due to being overlapped by the sketches on rotation.

Now, here's a confession: I wasn't playing fair. Usually with these things, I try to craft stuff so that the puzzle is/can be solved with a bit of general knowledge and/or relatively short leaps of logic. This time, I cranked the leaps on it all the way up to Leedin, and didn't expect it to be solved even if it was found (or, on the other hand, for it to be solved in 5 mins and have a laugh about it). You still managed to unearth some pieces of the key, and at one point in the chain, it looked like you were on the brink of solving it before wandering off into the dungeons of overthinking.

Here's also a thing you might find disappointing: I'm not gonna tell you the solution. At least, not yet. At some point in the future, I might make an additional puzzle using the same base, but with additional hints and a less cut-throat approach in regards to obscurity. Or something in the game will use it and give you the tools to get it with the benefit of hindsight next year. I don't know! I certainly want to keep using it, but haven't thought too far ahead with it.

For the record, though. You guys DO have enough to go with for an informed pattern-crafting guesstimation or even a brute-forcing crack, and I'd consider the hint given on my profile post to be a high-risk high-reward one. High-risk for me, 'cause solving it spills the beans entirely. High reward for you 'cause solving it is a columbus' egg with regards to the entire thing. Thus why I made what could've been an easier-to-guess mostly-general-knowledge hint so relatively obscure.

In any case, whether this particular puzzle is solved or not, at some point in the future I'd like to make a Rosetta post. We'll see how it goes.

fv00710.gif

I'm also borrowing this panel from Freefall. It seems oddly appropriate here.​

P.s. No, it's not release date. That'd be one bad way to go about announcing it.​

Last edited: