The Powers that Be
Mane6 Developer
Jan 25, 2016
The Hold
mane6.com
TFHNDALiftBanner.png

Backers' Beta NDA lifted

Hi again, everyone.

As promised, today's update marks the end of the NDA period of the TFH Backers' Beta. Builds released September 15, 2017 and after (all the way until the Game's release candidate hits) are able to be freely streamed, recorded, screen-captured and played at conventions/tournaments/ events by crowdfund backers using their Steam accounts. You guys can also review the game if you want, but please keep in mind that the current state does not entirely reflect the final product, so please put in a disclaimer that reviews are of an unfinished beta build.

Builds previous to September 15 are still subject to the Non-Disclosure Agreement & End User License Agreement that you guys agreed to when first opening the game, so footage from said builds shouldn't be streamed, screencaped, published or otherwise shared with the general public, unless done so with the formal consent of Mane6, in specific ways and media as set in a written agreement. (i.e. Ask first. We're likely to deny most requests unless for very specific purposes, though.)

From here on, we start on what scientists call "the final crunch", quickly iterating game versions, adding missing frames/animations, unlocking options/features, tweaking the final bits of balance (e.g. arcade mode), and giving an all-around polish pass. Critical & major issues have been mostly defeated (knock on wood), and thus we can move on to the lower priority stuff and the shredding of cardboard.

Your feebdack at this point is very important. What you like, what you think's a bit over or undertuned, what feels a bit awkward, and any oddities you notice. All of it, let us have it on the forums, so we can finetune things all around.

1.0 release, as also mentioned previously, should be happening before 2018. Specific Release Date TBA. It will include at the very least, feature wise:
  • All 6 starting characters fully done, voiced, animated and playable.
  • Local and Online (Lobby room based) Multiplayer VS
  • Arcade Mode
  • Combo Trials
  • Target Practice
  • Survival mode
  • Training Room
  • Arizona's and Velvet's Pixel Lobby stages.
  • The first Pixel Lobby dungeon fully implemented ("The Salt Mines", in Arizona's Pixel Lobby stage)
  • The first episode of the TFH Story Mode, introducing the world of Foenum and featuring Arizona's start in the quest to save Foenum from the Predators.

We hope you like what you see, and once again thank you for sticking with us.​

<3 - M6
P.S. If you need assets for your streaming, video, review or whatnot,

Last edited:

SmokeRulz

Where there is smoke, there is fire!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
IT'S TIME BOYZ

Too bad it's too late at night for me to do anything, but perhaps in a few days I will mess around in it! Eager to see the word start spreading around the internet.

What got added in this 72mb update? I don't see any new patch notification anywhere on this forum.
Give 'em a bit, they'll post them~

Stunthead

Springbok when
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
New Zealand
Sweet, time to watch people far better than me take a crack at this game.

• The first episode of the TFH Story Mode, introducing the world of Foenum and featuring Arizona's start in the quest to save Foenum from the Predators.
Oh, going for the episodic release for the story mode, are you? Interesting. Is this a recent decision?

sokolgs

TFH Streamer
Jan 4, 2017
Russia, Moscow city
able to be freely streamed, recorded, screen-captured and played at conventions/tournaments/ events by crowdfund backers using their Steam accounts.
FINALY WE CAN SETUP TOURNAMENT! RIGHT? I'M BUCKIN KNEW YOU'LL MAKE IT IN TIME!...
Oooops, i've got like 12 hours to prepare everything for it. Welp, see ya at the Fest! We'll try to stream from my Twitch from there, if we'll be able...

Reactions: PinkieFTW and Tox

JunaECBS

BetaBoi
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 5, 2016
Brazil
I had to sleep before this happened, but, oh, well. At least it happened before I woke up!

Now, do we have time for a small parody?
First of all, I need my melody...

https://youtu.be/T0JFuMTcnB4?t=105

*ahem*

Look at these here ungulates,
awaiting release day.
We're still on beta,
but no more NDA!
So I'm glad I was around
Think of all them bugs we found
For the people who are
going to play!

(as a non-native English speaker, I needed a metric check here - a friend of mine adjusted the verses, but I'm still not sure if I'm singing it right...)

Sapare

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I am going to go ahead and chip in that I do not think the episode release for story mode is a good idea. While I fully comprehend that it is delaying the rest of the game, and at this point you are unlikely to release the game in any good timeframe if you were to wait on the story campaign to be finished, you have to be aware of the many games that have kneecapped its launch and lifetime with this act. You are not a visual novel, you are not Taltetell, your game can not be considered feature complete in a half finished state, reviewers and users alike will smash you on the nose for this. Releasing an unfinished game will draw ire from the average user and those are reviews you can not get rid of down the line, there is a decent chance you will not be able to get rid of the image of "that unfinished game" once you acquired, even if you finish the game itself.

If it there is no other option, it is obviously your right to do this, but do not see it as anything but playing Russian roulette with consumer good will.

super hurricane

Feb 13, 2016
A bit surprised the big dog wasn't colored yet, but I am enjoying the streams on YouTube immensely. Though I am confused by Target Practice given some of the Champions only have melee skills.

Also, no bird predators in the image of them getting surrounded by predators?

Last edited:
Reactions: PinkieFTW

Someoneman

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
I think Target Practice might be like Break the Targets in Super Smash Bros. where the targets can be broken with melee attacks.

Also please post videos of the soundtrack with character variations.

Tunnel_Rhino526

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
I am going to go ahead and chip in that I do not think the episode release for story mode is a good idea. While I fully comprehend that it is delaying the rest of the game, and at this point you are unlikely to release the game in any good timeframe if you were to wait on the story campaign to be finished, you have to be aware of the many games that have kneecapped its launch and lifetime with this act. You are not a visual novel, you are not Taltetell, your game can not be considered feature complete in a half finished state, reviewers and users alike will smash you on the nose for this. Releasing an unfinished game will draw ire from the average user and those are reviews you can not get rid of down the line, there is a decent chance you will not be able to get rid of the image of "that unfinished game" once you acquired, even if you finish the game itself.

If it there is no other option, it is obviously your right to do this, but do not see it as anything but playing Russian roulette with consumer good will.
I agree to an extent, at least get the six pixel lobbies (dungeons optional) completed before release.

SixCardRoulette

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Sep 11, 2017
Just thought the devs might like to know, my children (6 and 4) have been playing the latest beta for the last couple of hours now. They are basically just mashing buttons, but they love the characters, backgrounds, music and palettes. And being able to kick each other in the face.

S0nus

Take Flight!
Backers' Beta Tester
Sep 11, 2017

Backers' Beta NDA lifted

Hi again, everyone.

As promised, today's update marks the end of the NDA period of the TFH Backers' Beta. Builds released September 15, 2017 and after (all the way until the Game's release candidate hits) are able to be freely streamed, recorded, screen-captured and played at conventions/tournaments/ events by crowdfund backers using their Steam accounts. You guys can also review the game if you want, but please keep in mind that the current state does not entirely reflect the final product, so please put in a disclaimer that reviews are of an unfinished beta build.

Builds previous to September 15 are still subject to the Non-Disclosure Agreement & End User License Agreement that you guys agreed to when first opening the game, so footage from said builds shouldn't be streamed, screencaped, published or otherwise shared with the general public, unless done so with the formal consent of Mane6, in specific ways and media as set in a written agreement. (i.e. Ask first. We're likely to deny most requests unless for very specific purposes, though.)

From here on, we start on what scientists call "the final crunch", quickly iterating game versions, adding missing frames/animations, unlocking options/features, tweaking the final bits of balance (e.g. arcade mode), and giving an all-around polish pass. Critical & major issues have been mostly defeated (knock on wood), and thus we can move on to the lower priority stuff and the shredding of cardboard.

Your feebdack at this point is very important. What you like, what you think's a bit over or undertuned, what feels a bit awkward, and any oddities you notice. All of it, let us have it on the forums, so we can finetune things all around.

1.0 release, as also mentioned previously, should be happening before 2018. Specific Release Date TBA. It will include at the very least, feature wise:
  • All 6 starting characters fully done, voiced, animated and playable.
  • Local and Online (Lobby room based) Multiplayer VS
  • Arcade Mode
  • Combo Trials
  • Target Practice
  • Survival mode
  • Training Room
  • Arizona's and Velvet's Pixel Lobby stages.
  • The first Pixel Lobby dungeon fully implemented ("The Salt Mines", in Arizona's Pixel Lobby stage)

We hope you like what you see, and once again thank you for sticking with us.​

<3 - M6
P.S. If you need assets for your streaming, video, review or whatnot,

Where can we play the game? because I have steam and I am a beta backer but I can't play it nor even dowload, heck I won't even know if I have to be somewhere certain to download it. Someone please help me. :c

Borin

saw right through that.
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Seattle, Washington

Rodya

Perpetually tired
Jul 31, 2017
Coahuila, México
I noticed that on the lobby screenshots, at most, only 5 people had green signal bars, most being yellow and some being red. Now, it is my understanding that the lobby is server based and that PVP is P2P, do the bars represent your connection with the server or do they measure your connection with other players?

I do not think the episode release for story mode is a good idea.
Maybe the story mode is super long, and that's why it has to be episodic. Look at it this way, why design a universe with such likeable characters and interesting story if it will all go to waste in a 30 minute long story mode?

beta

Mane6 Dev
Mane6 Developer
Feb 24, 2016
I noticed that on the lobby screenshots, at most, only 5 people had green signal bars, most being yellow and some being red. Now, it is my understanding that the lobby is server based and that PVP is P2P, do the bars represent your connection with the server or do they measure your connection with other players?
The bars represent your ping times to other players (P2P). That's really the only measurement that matters when it comes to picking who to fight.

Toonwriter

Feb 16, 2016
Can someone please give me access to the beta? I'm a backer, and yet I still can't seem to download.

Borin

saw right through that.
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Seattle, Washington

Erkicman

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Hey guys, so I went ahead and uploaded footage of the standard and "final round" stage themes for the 6 characters, for those of you who want to get into the more... musical side of things.

This is basically my apology for when I teased people about Oleander's theme before the NDA lifted by accidentally posting in the wrong forum.

Arizona
Oleander
Paprika
Pom
Tianhuo
Velvet
Them's Fightin Herds - Velvet Stage Standard and Final Round Themes

Also, if you want to hear more about the Dynamic Music-related stuff, check out the stuff The Garlic Shoes (The Garlic Shoes) is doing.

EDIT: So it looks like Arizona's theme has a guitar solo that makes it take longer than 60 seconds to loop, so I had to lengthen her video. More stuff to have playing the background while you're at work!

Last edited:

Redness

The Class Pet
Oct 17, 2016
Fœnum
www.youtube.com
Hey guys, so I went ahead and uploaded footage of the standard and "final round" stage themes for the 6 characters, for those of you who want to get into the more... musical side of things.

This is basically my apology for when I teased people about Oleander's theme before the NDA lifted by accidentally posting in the wrong forum.

Arizona
Oleander
Paprika
Pom
Tianhuo
Velvet

Also, if you want to hear more about the Dynamic Music-related stuff, check out the stuff The Garlic Shoes (The Garlic Shoes) is doing.
Nice! I was totally gonna do these of someone didn't do it before the game launched! Thanks for uploading! :D

SmokeRulz

Where there is smoke, there is fire!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016

Arizona
Oleander
Paprika
Pom
Tianhuo
Velvet

EDIT: So it looks like Arizona's theme has a guitar solo that makes it take longer than 60 seconds to loop, so I had to lengthen her video. More stuff to have playing the background while you're at work!
Doing the world a service, my man!