1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Them's Fightin' Herds is now out on Early Access!
    You can buy it from these links.
    Humble Bundle // Steam

3. Current Early Access Patch: 2-6-2019

Backers' Beta NDA lifted

Discussion in 'News' started by ManeSix, Sep 16, 2017.

1. ManeSix

ManeSix The Powers that Be
    Staff Member Mane6 Developer

TFHNDALiftBanner.png

Backers' Beta NDA lifted

Hi again, everyone.

As promised, today's update marks the end of the NDA period of the TFH Backers' Beta. Builds released September 15, 2017 and after (all the way until the Game's release candidate hits) are able to be freely streamed, recorded, screen-captured and played at conventions/tournaments/ events by crowdfund backers using their Steam accounts. You guys can also review the game if you want, but please keep in mind that the current state does not entirely reflect the final product, so please put in a disclaimer that reviews are of an unfinished beta build.

Builds previous to September 15 are still subject to the Non-Disclosure Agreement & End User License Agreement that you guys agreed to when first opening the game, so footage from said builds shouldn't be streamed, screencaped, published or otherwise shared with the general public, unless done so with the formal consent of Mane6, in specific ways and media as set in a written agreement. (i.e. Ask first. We're likely to deny most requests unless for very specific purposes, though.)

From here on, we start on what scientists call "the final crunch", quickly iterating game versions, adding missing frames/animations, unlocking options/features, tweaking the final bits of balance (e.g. arcade mode), and giving an all-around polish pass. Critical & major issues have been mostly defeated (knock on wood), and thus we can move on to the lower priority stuff and the shredding of cardboard.

Your feebdack at this point is very important. What you like, what you think's a bit over or undertuned, what feels a bit awkward, and any oddities you notice. All of it, let us have it on the forums, so we can finetune things all around.

1.0 release, as also mentioned previously, should be happening before 2018. Specific Release Date TBA. It will include at the very least, feature wise:
    • All 6 starting characters fully done, voiced, animated and playable.
    • Local and Online (Lobby room based) Multiplayer VS
    • Arcade Mode
    • Combo Trials
    • Target Practice
    • Survival mode
    • Training Room
    • Arizona's and Velvet's Pixel Lobby stages.
    • The first Pixel Lobby dungeon fully implemented ("The Salt Mines", in Arizona's Pixel Lobby stage)
    • The first episode of the TFH Story Mode, introducing the world of Foenum and featuring Arizona's start in the quest to save Foenum from the Predators.

We hope you like what you see, and once again thank you for sticking with us.
    <3 - M6
    P.S. If you need assets for your streaming, video, review or whatnot,

#1 ManeSix, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  2. Redness

Redness The Class Pet

WOOHOO!:arilove:

TheGoldenW and PinkieFTW like this.
  3. Delusional Dreamer

Delusional Dreamer FÅ“num iCloud

And that's why I stayed up all night. Thank you Manesix!

Ferettoko, PinkieFTW and Redness like this.
  4. Heilos

Heilos Backers' Beta Tester
    Backers' Beta Tester

I'm so excited! Thank you guys for all your hard work so far and to everyone who's been testing thoroughly all this time for the beta! Excited to hopefully see more people talking and showing off the game. :arismile2:

Ferettoko, PinkieFTW, Tox and 2 others like this.
  5. Lovenought

Lovenought Backers' Beta Tester
    Backers' Beta Tester

What got added in this 72mb update? I don't see any new patch notification anywhere on this forum.

PinkieFTW and Delusional Dreamer like this.
  6. Dinkleberg

Dinkleberg Lurking
    Backers' Beta Tester

WE HAVE ARRIVED! I've never streamed before but this changes everything. Time to start playing this game daily again!

7. SmokeRulz

SmokeRulz Where there is smoke, there is fire!
    Backers' Beta Tester

IT'S TIME BOYZ

Too bad it's too late at night for me to do anything, but perhaps in a few days I will mess around in it! Eager to see the word start spreading around the internet.

Give 'em a bit, they'll post them~

8. OCisbestungulate

OCisbestungulate Always watching you
    Backers' Beta Tester

Happiness.

9. Lovenought

Lovenought Backers' Beta Tester
    Backers' Beta Tester

Boo! We want MORE Grim-Dark! No one has time for feel-good entertainment anymore!

PinkieFTW likes this.
  10. Stunthead

Stunthead Springbok when
    Backers' Beta Tester

Sweet, time to watch people far better than me take a crack at this game.

Oh, going for the episodic release for the story mode, are you? Interesting. Is this a recent decision?

PinkieFTW, Tox and Delusional Dreamer like this.
  11. sokolgs

sokolgs TFH Streamer

FINALY WE CAN SETUP TOURNAMENT! RIGHT? I'M BUCKIN KNEW YOU'LL MAKE IT IN TIME!...
    Oooops, i've got like 12 hours to prepare everything for it. Welp, see ya at the Fest! We'll try to stream from my Twitch from there, if we'll be able...

PinkieFTW and Tox like this.
  12. Alevgor

Alevgor Canis Imaginatus
    Backers' Beta Tester

Well. Now it's pretty dark here. Predator invasion and stuff.

13. Tox

Tox Ms. Fortune is best pone
    Backers' Beta Tester

Hold Invasion! Defeat the Invasion boss, assassin and tower to deal a blow to The Hold swarms.

PinkieFTW likes this.
  14. sokolgs

sokolgs TFH Streamer

Gather resourses, go mine minerals, craft gear. Deliver supplies to the town (carefull on the road: Predators), and get credits. Buy Hats.....:arigrin:

Tox and PinkieFTW like this.
  15. Lanxide

Lanxide I wish I was cool

Hopefully someone could bring TFH to CEOtaku! Not sure if they allow you to bring your own setup (got my fingers crossed).

Also if anyone here in the New York or Florida area that is bringing the game to local FGC please shoot me a PM I want to try the game myself if it's not too far out the way.

16. JunaECBS

JunaECBS BetaBoi
    Backers' Beta Tester

I had to sleep before this happened, but, oh, well. At least it happened before I woke up!

Now, do we have time for a small parody?
    First of all, I need my melody...

https://youtu.be/T0JFuMTcnB4?t=105

*ahem*

Look at these here ungulates,
    awaiting release day.
    We're still on beta,
    but no more NDA!
    So I'm glad I was around
    Think of all them bugs we found
    For the people who are
    going to play!

(as a non-native English speaker, I needed a metric check here - a friend of mine adjusted the verses, but I'm still not sure if I'm singing it right...)

Tox, PinkieFTW and sokolgs like this.
  17. Erkicman

Erkicman Backers' Beta Tester
    Backers' Beta Tester

Thank you for this, I can FINALLY bring this to my local!

Delusional Dreamer and PinkieFTW like this.
  18. SixCardRoulette

SixCardRoulette Backers' Beta Tester
    Backers' Beta Tester

Awwwww yiss.

Well done, everyone.

19. Sapare

Sapare Backers' Beta Tester
    Backers' Beta Tester

I am going to go ahead and chip in that I do not think the episode release for story mode is a good idea. While I fully comprehend that it is delaying the rest of the game, and at this point you are unlikely to release the game in any good timeframe if you were to wait on the story campaign to be finished, you have to be aware of the many games that have kneecapped its launch and lifetime with this act. You are not a visual novel, you are not Taltetell, your game can not be considered feature complete in a half finished state, reviewers and users alike will smash you on the nose for this. Releasing an unfinished game will draw ire from the average user and those are reviews you can not get rid of down the line, there is a decent chance you will not be able to get rid of the image of "that unfinished game" once you acquired, even if you finish the game itself.

If it there is no other option, it is obviously your right to do this, but do not see it as anything but playing Russian roulette with consumer good will.

20. Mage

Mage A Normal Person

Yay!

That's the best birthday present one could receive.

21. lovesnhugs

lovesnhugs Crowdfund Backer
    Crowdfund Backer

happy birthday!!! take a hug! and some loves!!! :D and also mind the derail...

PinkieFTW likes this.
  22. super hurricane

super hurricane Well-Known Member

A bit surprised the big dog wasn't colored yet, but I am enjoying the streams on YouTube immensely. Though I am confused by Target Practice given some of the Champions only have melee skills.

Also, no bird predators in the image of them getting surrounded by predators?

#22 super hurricane, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    PinkieFTW likes this.
  23. Someoneman

Someoneman Crowdfund Backer
    Crowdfund Backer

I think Target Practice might be like Break the Targets in Super Smash Bros. where the targets can be broken with melee attacks.

Also please post videos of the soundtrack with character variations.

PinkieFTW likes this.
  24. ChaosContrl

ChaosContrl Backers' Beta Tester
    Backers' Beta Tester

That new forum Look and Feel is awesome!

25. Tunnel_Rhino526

Tunnel_Rhino526 Backers' Beta Tester
    Backers' Beta Tester

I agree to an extent, at least get the six pixel lobbies (dungeons optional) completed before release.

PinkieFTW likes this.
  26. SixCardRoulette

SixCardRoulette Backers' Beta Tester
    Backers' Beta Tester

Just thought the devs might like to know, my children (6 and 4) have been playing the latest beta for the last couple of hours now. They are basically just mashing buttons, but they love the characters, backgrounds, music and palettes. And being able to kick each other in the face.

27. S0nus

S0nus Take Flight!
    Backers' Beta Tester

Where can we play the game? because I have steam and I am a beta backer but I can't play it nor even dowload, heck I won't even know if I have to be somewhere certain to download it. Someone please help me. :c

28. Borin

Borin saw right through that.
    Backers' Beta Tester

Check out this thread: How to Find and Redeem your Beta key in 12 easy steps

That should help you out.

29. S0nus

S0nus Take Flight!
    Backers' Beta Tester

30. Rodya

Rodya Perpetually tired

I noticed that on the lobby screenshots, at most, only 5 people had green signal bars, most being yellow and some being red. Now, it is my understanding that the lobby is server based and that PVP is P2P, do the bars represent your connection with the server or do they measure your connection with other players?

Maybe the story mode is super long, and that's why it has to be episodic. Look at it this way, why design a universe with such likeable characters and interesting story if it will all go to waste in a 30 minute long story mode?

31. McPeanuts

McPeanuts Backers' Beta Tester
    Backers' Beta Tester

I was planning on bringing my setup to CEOtaku.

32. beta

beta Mane6 Dev

The bars represent your ping times to other players (P2P). That's really the only measurement that matters when it comes to picking who to fight.

Delusional Dreamer and PinkieFTW like this.
  33. Toonwriter

Toonwriter Member

Can someone please give me access to the beta? I'm a backer, and yet I still can't seem to download.

34. Borin

Borin saw right through that.
    Backers' Beta Tester

35. Erkicman

Erkicman Backers' Beta Tester
    Backers' Beta Tester

Hey guys, so I went ahead and uploaded footage of the standard and "final round" stage themes for the 6 characters, for those of you who want to get into the more... musical side of things.

This is basically my apology for when I teased people about Oleander's theme before the NDA lifted by accidentally posting in the wrong forum.

Arizona

Oleander

Paprika

Pom

Tianhuo

Velvet
    Them's Fightin Herds - Velvet Stage Standard and Final Round Themes

Also, if you want to hear more about the Dynamic Music-related stuff, check out the stuff The Garlic Shoes (The Garlic Shoes) is doing.

EDIT: So it looks like Arizona's theme has a guitar solo that makes it take longer than 60 seconds to loop, so I had to lengthen her video. More stuff to have playing the background while you're at work!

#35 Erkicman, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  36. Redness

Redness The Class Pet

Nice! I was totally gonna do these of someone didn't do it before the game launched! Thanks for uploading! :D

37. SmokeRulz

SmokeRulz Where there is smoke, there is fire!
    Backers' Beta Tester

Doing the world a service, my man!

38. ManeSix

ManeSix The Powers that Be

Mind the derail.