Artsy's Sketch Corner

Kressent Rhodes

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
I'm pretty new to forums, but I try to keep current on this one and there didn't seem to be any general artist threads anywhere. A lot of people seem to be posting their work seperately. So I kinda wanted to start a thread where artists could share their sketchwork and mingle. Here's a few sketches I did during the kickstarter to try and promote the game to start us off.
tumblr_inline_nwh5j2JOE11rrou04_500.png tumblr_inline_nvvp0rfuBR1rrou04_500.png tumblr_inline_nv4f10sh9C1rrou04_540.png tumblr_inline_nv0knjSXMc1rrou04_400.png

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
I'm pretty new to forums, but I try to keep current on this one and there didn't seem to be any general artist threads anywhere. A lot of people seem to be posting their work seperately. So I kinda wanted to start a thread where artists could share their sketchwork and mingle. Here's a few sketches I did during the kickstarter to try and promote the game to start us off.
View attachment 412 View attachment 411 View attachment 410 View attachment 409
These have all been thoroughly saved, and loved. Also: Major brownie points for referencing Mystery Skulls.

Firekirby

Star Warrior
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Hotter than heck, FL
discord.gg
Oh man, nothing like Arthur fan art to hype me right back up for the next animation. XD
But seriously, this stuff is awesome! Keep up the great work!

Reactions: Kressent Rhodes

Kressent Rhodes

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
These have all been thoroughly saved, and loved. Also: Major brownie points for referencing Mystery Skulls.
Oh man, nothing like Arthur fan art to hype me right back up for the next animation. XD
But seriously, this stuff is awesome! Keep up the great work!
OH WOW haha! You know about MSA too?? YEEEES. That was meant to be a joke since Oleander has this creepy arm that comes out of her book XD I enjoy crossovers and that seemed pretty perfect. Next video hype! So much to be hype for recently

0Zero100

Alpaka Representative/Robot Family Bear
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas
Is Oleander supposed to be using Fred as a pillow, because if so, that is just hilarious! Also, really diggin' the art style man, they look really good even though they're incomplete.

CrpCrwls

This dim light which falls from the stars...
Feb 6, 2016
Is Oleander supposed to be using Fred as a pillow, because if so, that is just hilarious! Also, really diggin' the art style man, they look really good even though they're incomplete.
Well you know sometimes your body is like "it's time to sleep" but your brain say "juuuust one more chapteeeeer please?" and the body is like "okay I think I can stay awake a bit longer" and then if give up in the middle of a paragraph and you woke up with words printed on your cheek... O MY GOD that's how Oleander's fur turned dark!

0Zero100

Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas
Well you know sometimes your body is like "it's time to sleep" but your brain say "juuuust one more chapteeeeer please?" and the body is like "okay I think I can stay awake a bit longer" and then if give up in the middle of a paragraph and you woke up with words printed on your cheek... O MY GOD that's how Oleander's fur turned dark!
*INCEPTION NOISE* My frizz has been freaked!

Reactions: OCisbestungulate

Firekirby

Star Warrior
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Hotter than heck, FL
discord.gg
even though they're incomplete.
I'd argue that colorless is not the same as incomplete. An artist can absolutely make a sketched out and shaded piece and easily consider it complete. For quite a few artists, that's their job. For others, they just prefer it that way. One can absolutely have a preference for colored in art, but calling an uncolored work incomplete seems a little disrespectful imho. (though from what I've seen, I doubt Rhodes would have been too upset, if at all)

However, you have given me an idea. I agree that I would like to see these fully colored... plus I've colored one of Rhode's works rather recently, and would like to get some more coloring practice in... Hey @Kressent Rhodes, would ya mind horribly if I took a crack at colorin' these as well? Or d'ya have something else in mind for 'em?

Edit: Also, if ya don't mind, it might be a good idea to edit yer OP to include your other regular haunts. That way people who like your stuff here can stalk you even more easily see your other works from the source. ;)

Last edited:

Kressent Rhodes

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
I'd argue that colorless is not the same as incomplete. An artist can absolutely make a sketched out and shaded piece and easily consider it complete. For quite a few artists, that's their job. For others, they just prefer it that way. One can absolutely have a preference for colored in art, but calling an uncolored work incomplete seems a little disrespectful imho. (though from what I've seen, I doubt Rhodes would have been too upset, if at all)

However, you have given me an idea. I agree that I would like to see these fully colored... plus I've colored one of Rhode's works rather recently, and would like to get some more coloring practice in... Hey @Kressent Rhodes, would ya mind horribly if I took a crack at colorin' these as well? Or d'ya have something else in mind for 'em?

Edit: Also, if ya don't mind, it might be a good idea to edit yer OP to include your other regular haunts. That way people who like your stuff here can stalk you even more easily see your other works from the source. ;)
By all means! Feel free to color any of my sketches.
And yes I only meant to make these sketches. They're really nice practice! I never really had any intention of coloring them myself unfortunately XD maybe some day

Reactions: Firekirby

0Zero100

Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas
I'd argue that colorless is not the same as incomplete. An artist can absolutely make a sketched out and shaded piece and easily consider it complete. For quite a few artists, that's their job. For others, they just prefer it that way. One can absolutely have a preference for colored in art, but calling an uncolored work incomplete seems a little disrespectful imho. (though from what I've seen, I doubt Rhodes would have been too upset, if at all);)
My bad. I didn't mean any disrespect to Rhodes, it's just that whenever I see a sketch done by an artist, I just assume that they're going to color it later on. Sorry if it came out as something other than awe at his art prowess.

Firekirby

Star Warrior
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Hotter than heck, FL
discord.gg
By all means! Feel free to color any of my sketches.
And yes I only meant to make these sketches. They're really nice practice! I never really had any intention of coloring them myself unfortunately XD maybe some day
*cracks knuckles*
Challenge accepted.

My bad. I didn't mean any disrespect to Rhodes, it's just that whenever I see a sketch done by an artist, I just assume that they're going to color it later on. Sorry if it came out as something other than awe at his art prowess.
Like I said, I've seen Rhodes around the forums previously, I doubt she took much offence. Just helping ya understand the mindset of an artist. (two of my cousins and two of my longest friends are artists of varying degrees of dedication who I talk to on a regular/semi-regular basis, so I know a few things about the topic. XD)

Firekirby

Star Warrior
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Hotter than heck, FL
discord.gg
One down, three more to go.
Rhodes_Velvet.jpg
I decided to start with the seemingly simplest of the four available to kinda catch my groove, so to speak. I employed some different coloring practices on this one, mostly to allow for the shading to still be applied to the image after the fact. Also played around with other techniques to help make certain sections easier than they normally would be, such as the ears and magic trail. Looking at it now, there are definitely still some minor things I feel I could touch up, possibly even heavily improve. However, I will save that for after the rest of the project, as by then I should have a few more tricks up my sleeve. For now, I will be moving on to the next rung on the ladder. The... Oleadder, if you will.

Kressent Rhodes

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
One down, three more to go.
View attachment 478
I decided to start with the seemingly simplest of the four available to kinda catch my groove, so to speak. I employed some different coloring practices on this one, mostly to allow for the shading to still be applied to the image after the fact. Also played around with other techniques to help make certain sections easier than they normally would be, such as the ears and magic trail. Looking at it now, there are definitely still some minor things I feel I could touch up, possibly even heavily improve. However, I will save that for after the rest of the project, as by then I should have a few more tricks up my sleeve. For now, I will be moving on to the next rung on the ladder. The... Oleadder, if you will.
oh wow! That turned out so nice! I look forward to seeing you develop your technique!

Kressent Rhodes

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
heeeey no worries here

Firekirby

Star Warrior
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Hotter than heck, FL
discord.gg
Okay... so remember when I said...
I will save that for after the rest of the project, as by then I should have a few more tricks up my sleeve.
Well, this next coloration job shows pretty much exactly what I meant:
Rhodes_Oleander.jpg
Can you spot the difference? I certainly can. I employed a more precise, and slightly more time consuming practice this time around, and I'm much happier with how it turned out. Smoother color transitions, less artifacts, and most evident... colored lines! Overall, I think it looks way more vivid than the previous one, and will certainly be refining the technique as I go. Now don't worry, Velvet enthusiasts, I'll go back and make her shine like she deserves before I take on the final project here. (until @Kressent Rhodes grants me more to work on, ofc. ;) ) However, for now, I have a more... fiery task ahead of me.

P.S. It just occurred to me that I might unintentionally be stealing some of the spotlight here. The last thing I want to do is seem like I'm hogging the limelight, so if at any point you feel I'm overstepping my bounds, Rhodes, I'd be perfectly fine making my posts here more sparse, sending you the images privately for you to share here on your own terms, or even moving over to another thread, whatever you feel is necessary.

Last edited:

0Zero100

Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas

View attachment 488
Can you spot the difference? I certainly can. I employed a more precise, and slightly more time consuming practice this time around, and I'm much happier with how it turned out. Smoother color transitions, less artifacts, and most evident... colored lines! Overall, I think it looks way more vivid than the previous one, and will certainly be refining the technique as I go. Now don't worry, Velvet enthusiasts, I'll go back and make her shine like she deserves before I take on the final project here. (until @Kressent Rhodes grants me more to work on, ofc. ;) ) However, for now, I have a more... fiery task ahead of me.

P.S. It just occurred to me that I might unintentionally be stealing some of the spotlight here. The last thing I want to do is seem like I'm hogging the limelight, so if at any point you feel I'm overstepping my bounds, Rhodes, I'd be perfectly fine making my posts here more sparse, sending you the images privately for you to share here on your own terms, or even moving over to another thread, whatever you feel is necessary.
I spot ONE thing wrong with this picture... why ARE there NEVER ANY WORDS IN BOOKS!? At LEAST put some squiggles in there! <----Supposed to be taken as a joke.:oops:

Firekirby

Star Warrior
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Hotter than heck, FL
discord.gg
I spot ONE thing wrong with this picture... why ARE there NEVER ANY WORDS IN BOOKS!? At LEAST put some squiggles in there! <----Supposed to be taken as a joke.:oops:
Keep in mind, that's not just any old book...

It's more likely that there are words there, just none that us mere mortals can see, let alone comprehend.

But now that you mention it, I did actually add some lines somewhere else. Brownie points if you can spot where. ;)

0Zero100

Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas
Keep in mind, that's not just any old book...

It's more likely that there are words there, just none that us mere mortals can see, let alone comprehend.

But now that you mention it, I did actually add some lines somewhere else. Brownie points if you can spot where. ;)
The horn.

CrpCrwls

This dim light which falls from the stars...
Feb 6, 2016
why ARE there NEVER ANY WORDS IN BOOKS!?
Oh I'm sure we can see them, it's just that the artist did not include them to protect our feeble minds from the madness contained in the mere appearance of the words. Eldricht forces can probably leverage a simple squiggle to turn our brain to mush...

Kressent Rhodes

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016

View attachment 488

nah its totally cool. I really just wanted to put these up here for everyone to enjoy. Its pretty neat you actually want to color them. I really like what you did with the lines! It makes a difference!

Gonna hafta start thinking of more sketches haha

I can't make this a purely request art post but I am curious if you're interested in a particular character

Last edited:
Reactions: 0Zero100

Kressent Rhodes

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
more often than not I think the artist just hopes your brain fills in the blanks and takes the opportunity to be a bit lazy. Especially if its just meant to be a small scribble and not like an elaborate piece.

Reactions: 0Zero100

0Zero100

Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas
more often than not I think the artist just hopes your brain fills in the blanks and takes the opportunity to be a bit lazy. Especially if its just meant to be a small scribble and not like an elaborate piece.
Fair enough.
nah its totally cool. I really just wanted to put these up here for everyone to enjoy. Its pretty neat you actually want to color them. I really like what you did with the lines! It makes a difference!

Gonna hafta start thinking of more sketches haha

I can't make this a purely request art post but I am curious if you're interested in a particular character
Not exactly "character," but I'd like to see how you draw Honored Mother/Father.

Firekirby

Star Warrior
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Hotter than heck, FL
discord.gg
I'd love to see some AZ in the near future. Some Ice Sprites would be cool too. ;)

Fair enough.

Not exactly "character," but I'd like to see how you draw Honored Mother/Father.
They're absolutely characters, I think the real issue is the fact that, afaik, they have no physical representation through official artwork, so they would rely more on artistic interpretation than they would resource gathering.

Oster_fire

"Ok, may be I SHOULD have ask for some food...."
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Oh man!!!! I totally for got about the great Fan art that there is about this game!!! XD

Firekirby

Star Warrior
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Hotter than heck, FL
discord.gg
And now for today's special feature, staring best Longma, followed by a well deserved encore from Ice Deer.
Rhodes_Tianhuo.jpg Rhodes_Velvet_v2.jpg

Nothing super huge for these two, just a bunch of playing with minor things to make the final product look a bit nicer, (ie. coloring over the lines that were showing through Tianhuo's wing to make it look less busy, playing with transparency a bit more with Velvet's ice magic) as well as just catching the groove as far as coloring is concerned overall.
But now the training wheels are off. It's time to dive into the grand finale, the sketch I've probably been looking forward to the most thus-far. I might just disappear for a bit, but I can't wait to get cracking on it!

P.S. I only just now noticed how perfect those Tianhuo and Velvet images look right up next to each-other like that. XD

Firekirby

Star Warrior
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Hotter than heck, FL
discord.gg
The finale has finally been realized:
Rhodes_Olearthur.jpg

I must say, I never expected to enjoy coloring these in as much as I have. Seems I've found a new hobby, and if I ever wind up getting good enough at it, I may actually start using my Deviantart account, which I'm currently only using to stalk people. XD
Dunno how widely accepted colorists are on DA tho... gonna have to look into this further if I ever wind up taking this further than just, "I wanna see this colored, so I'm gonna color it."

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
The finale has finally been realized:
View attachment 501

I must say, I never expected to enjoy coloring these in as much as I have. Seems I've found a new hobby, and if I ever wind up getting good enough at it, I may actually start using my Deviantart account, which I'm currently only using to stalk people. XD
Dunno how widely accepted colorists are on DA tho... gonna have to look into this further if I ever wind up taking this further than just, "I wanna see this colored, so I'm gonna color it."
Magnificent good fellow