Anyone else wish Velvet's air attacks were more reliable?

Silk_Sk

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 24, 2018
They hardly chain together at all. Each one whiffs wore than it hits, even when canceling into each other, and if C hits, it often doesn't trigger the knock-back. So many combos depend on them, but they're impossible to land consistently. If the opponent is just slightly out of position, the tiny attack boxes miss and the combo is dropped.

Yeena

local forum predator npc
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
straight outta wawa
twitch.tv
imo, her best combos don't have her in the air much, really. Even if I am juggling, I don't ja - jb - jc, like, ever, because, like you said - it's very tight timing to get them all to hit.

I feel like Velvet wants to stay on the ground a lot more than other characters. No super jump, double jump, or air dashes to speak of. Her air moves are meh. But her ground combos are pretty sick.

IcyWind

kevin robinson from school
Feb 23, 2018
I feel like Velvet was designed to stay on the ground as much as possible, with both her movement and moves being based around that concept.
That being said, jc > 4 snowballs > super has been pretty reliable for me

Neb

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 5, 2016
In case anyone isnt aware, the best air pattern for velvet is to immediately hit j.a after launching and following, then delaying a bit before j.b. doing this has you nearly hitting the ground again before they are done being hit by j.b's many hits. J.c meanwhile seems to be the only aerial to throw out when you're going for that.

As has been said, though.. the really good combos usually involve you using gust or a snowflake to pull them back to you on the ground.

Reactions: Yeena

Jennatsuné

Apr 16, 2018
As far as I can tell, her air moves also have no cross-up potential other than the last hit from j.B...on standing opponents...directly beside them...so that's only if you really, really commit to it.

Which I'm fine with. =) Her ground game is great!

ph00tbag

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Oct 19, 2016
j.C has indirect cross-up potential, actually. Look into variations of this sequence: 2369A > 9C. Depending on how you time the j.C, you can whiff the j.C while causing two rapid cross-ups that are timed ambiguously with the Aircicle. You can also delay the j.C to cause the momentum change while remaining crossed-up. Additionally, you can whiff or not whiff to create confusion on pb/cc timings and direction.

The biggest downside to this is that you have to be pretty close to your opponent, which isn't really a Velvet thing. But if you keep usage of it to a minimum, you reduce the risk of using it while maximizing the potential that your opponent has no idea how to deal with the mix-ups.

But for the most part, you shouldn't be relying on Velvet's air game. She has the minimum aerial tools to survive, but her strength is when she's close to or on the ground.

Kastor

Mar 14, 2018
Ari is in a similar boat. Her jA and jB are more for short hop combos and interception and her jC is for cross ups and post stomp dunking.

She can air combo and people do, but her ground combos offer more and have better DMG/JD.

A bit off topic I know, I'm just pointing out there are two in the weak air combo boat.