Any Ideas for Short Animations?

0Zero100

Alpaka Representative/Robot Family Bear
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas
1. Have Paprika walking down a dirt road, then have her spot Tianhuo in the distance. And then *GLOMP* surprise hug! Then have smoke rise up from them...

2. Have Velvet TRY to make a sculpture that ISN'T herself...
That's it. That's all... (Maybe have it come out as a snowcone...)

3. Have Oleander try to make tea in a cauldron, and instead she makes her mane dye color. (Since, you know, you said that you couldn't make the highlights in the program you used to make the model.) Maybe just have the color on her hoof and then *Ding* IDEAAAA!

4. POM! IN FRONT OF A MIRROR! TRYING ON DIFFERENT MUSTACHES! (Although, I don't know how skilled you are in whatever program you're going to use, so...)

5. Arizona in Arizona...
just have her stand next to the sign that says,
"Welcome to Arizona
Population:xxxxx"

Rich Jammer

By the Numbers Accountant
Backers' Beta Tester
I got a bunch of ideas but they all require dialog and maybe some sort of voice acting.

Except for one where you can to take commentary audio from a youtuber.

EDIT:
OK I got an idea that doesn't require dialog. Which is kinda based on zero's idea. But I dunno how long you wanna put into animation.

Tianhuo and Velvet sitting in a cold place (maybe a freezer or outside in the cold).
Velvet is making an ice sculture of Tianhuo but very slowly by chipping away at a big ice block. Tianhuo is in an uncomfortable pose (her mane, tail, and wings aren't on fire). After many long hours, Velvet is unsatisfied at her work. She destroys it and immediately makes a better one using her ice powers. Tianhuo is visibly upset and also frozen solid in the uncomfortable pose.

Edit 2:
OK Another Idea.

Tianhuo is standing on the street. A wagon pulls up next to her carrying red barrels. On it it says "HIGHLY FLAMMABLE". Tianhuo looks worriedly towards the camera. Then cut to huge explosion.

EDIT 3:
All the characters are waiting in a queue to a counter that says "Be Back in 5 Minutes" with Paprika in the back of the line waiting patiently.
Arizona is the first to leave the line with an annoyed expression.
Then Velvet is next to leave with a "I'm too good to be here" kinda look on her face.
Tianhuo leaves next by hovering upwards off screen.
Oleander finishes reading a book and decides to leave.
A close up of Paprika as she has an impatient look on her face (but still looks happy).
As the camera goes back to show everyone it seems Pom snuck off during Parpika's close up.
It appears Paprika is the only one at the queue. She immediately gets a look on her face, the "oh wait I remember" look.
She walks off screen and immediately emerges from behind the counter with a name badge that reads "Hi My Name is Paprika". She puts the "Be back in 5 minutes" sign behind the counter then puts a "Sorry We're Closed" Sign on top of the counter. It turns out Paprika was the employee at the store.

Last edited:

0Zero100

Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas
Oh man, I like the first one mostly because of my idea, but also because Tianhuo being frozen just makes me laugh.
Perhaps her face gets red and her anger melts the ice?

Cinnamaldehyde

DDR Savant
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 10, 2016
Lake Stevens
Just so you guys know, This is the level of quality my animations will be at.
as far as actual video quality, I hope my animation will be better.
Man, I made this so log ago. I feel like a completely different person now...
Whatever, bleh...

0Zero100

Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas
Paprika adding stuff to a mixing bowl, then puts it into the oven, and it comes out as cake.
Paprika tossing a salad, then puts it into the oven, and it comes out as cake.
Paprika chopping fruit, then puts it into the oven, and it comes out as cake.
Paprika, accidentally falling into the oven, and comes out as... herself. She then takes a step forward and... turns into cake.
(I don't know, I are a stoop right now.)

Edit: Paprika sets up a bottle ring toss, Velvet uses Ice Magic to throw the ring and the screen goes white. Snow everywhere. They pop their heads out of the snow, Paprika notices a ring stuck on Arizona's horns (And the rings around the bottles in the booth) and says, "Holy Cow!"
Still a stoop right now.

TigerKirby215

I should be doing work right now
Crowdfund Backer
Mar 29, 2016
AHHH THE KAWAII POINTY UNGULATES /)^O^(\

I've always wanted to see a fight animation similar to this, with all the TFH characters beating each-other to a pulp before a bunch of predators circle them when they're all tuckered out.
But that would probably require a lot of time and effort, and probably can't be done with the pointy ungulates.

So umm...
My Little Fighting Herds? Mane 6 meet Ungulate 6? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

Cinnamaldehyde

DDR Savant
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 10, 2016
Lake Stevens
AHHH THE KAWAII POINTY UNGULATES /)^O^(\

I've always wanted to see a fight animation similar to this, with all the TFH characters beating each-other to a pulp before a bunch of predators circle them when they're all tuckered out.
But that would probably require a lot of time and effort, and probably can't be done with the pointy ungulates.

So umm...
My Little Fighting Herds? Mane 6 meet Ungulate 6? :confused:
I love that video, part of what got me into animating. But I cant do that yet unless I sketched it out frame by frame. I want to do an opening sequence like that though.
Also I have no other art friends who could help me, except for this one procrastinator who puts her internet friends before her "real" friends but whatever. Long story short, I should start working on that...
Am I rambling? probably not.
Should I post the script I had worked out for the opening I had in mind? or do you just want to see what I have to show you when/if I have something to show you?
Now I am rambling.

0Zero100

Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas
I love that video, part of what got me into animating. But I cant do that yet unless I sketched it out frame by frame. I want to do an opening sequence like that though.
Also I have no other art friends who could help me, except for this one procrastinator who puts her internet friends before her "real" friends but whatever. Long story short, I should start working on that...
Am I rambling? probably not.
Should I post the script I had worked out for the opening I had in mind? or do you just want to see what I have to show you when/if I have something to show you?
Now I am rambling.
Meh, whatever you feel like is best is fine with us. Others might want to see what you got, and maybe that's what you want, you show us how far you are and us giving you some advice on how to make it better, in which case, go ahead and give us the rundown of how it's gonna go. Personally, I'd wait until I have SOMETHING, like maybe a few seconds of the video at least.

Cinnamaldehyde

DDR Savant
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 10, 2016
Lake Stevens
Personally, I'd wait until I have SOMETHING, like maybe a few seconds of the video at least.
I'm going to do sketches of key frames and then use the program to fill in the rest.
so I guess I will have an animatic when I get the sketches done. But I haven't even started yet.
I'm using leftover printer paper from one of those old printers, and that pleases me for some reason.

Rick Sanchez

Feb 3, 2016
Why don't you take audio from FIM and replace the ponies with their respective TFH counterparts? (Like Arizona and Velvet arguing at the beginning of Look Before You Sleep, for instance.)

TigerKirby215

I should be doing work right now
Crowdfund Backer
Mar 29, 2016
Why don't you take audio from FIM and replace the ponies with their respective TFH counterparts? (Like Arizona and Velvet arguing at the beginning of Look Before You Sleep, for instance.)
>in b4 copyright

Cinnamaldehyde

DDR Savant
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 10, 2016
Lake Stevens
Paprika jumping into a picnic basket, pops out of a different one (giving its users a mini heart attack), while her own catches fire and burns up
Or how about Paprika has a picnic with Tianhuo, Tia brings the basket and when Pap sees her she yells "PANIC!" Tia freaks out and her hair bursts into flames catching the basket on fire. Paprika quickly corrects herself "I mean, PICNIC!"
Tianhuo calms down but soon realizes the burning basket on her back. Then they both freak out, yelling "PANIC BASKET!"

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
Or how about Paprika has a picnic with Tianhuo, Tia brings the basket and when Pap sees her she yells "PANIC!" Tia freaks out and her hair bursts into flames catching the basket on fire. Paprika quickly corrects herself "I mean, PICNIC!"
Tianhuo calms down but soon realizes the burning basket on her back. Then they both freak out, yelling "PANIC BASKET!"
Lovely. Simply lovely.

Cinnamaldehyde

DDR Savant
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 10, 2016
Lake Stevens
I just finished the audio for my Velvet animation. It works out to be about 55 seconds including the title sequence.
I am lazy so I used sound effects from one of my favorite video games, but I did make some *original background music for it.
Now I have to make two backgrounds, my favorite part about animating.

*using instruments from the same game

Cinnamaldehyde

DDR Savant
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 10, 2016
Lake Stevens
I say change the snow to different shades of white and, if possible, use darker outlines for the statue. If not... I don't know, that's really all I have to offer as advice. Hope I helped somehow!
The whole style is about not using outlines but I will try fixing the snow.

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
Maybe some gradient for those snowy hills? It could give a bit more depth. Though I don't think I've seen too many animations like this, so not sure if that's a no-go

Reactions: Sutekh94

Cinnamaldehyde

DDR Savant
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 10, 2016
Lake Stevens
Maybe some gradient for those snowy hills? It could give a bit more depth. Though I don't think I've seen too many animations like this, so not sure if that's a no-go
Yeah, I know I am showing this to other people for a reason. Gradients would be great. Thank you.

danmiy12

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
Hawaii
Looking at that image I'd make sure that whatever you want the audience to focus on be colored differently or stand out. Those trees imo really stand out a lot due to it being against white hills

https://media-mediatemple.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/12-focal-point.png

Looking at that image what stands out the most? As you guessed focal points esp in media helps you direct the eye of the viewer. In your drawing you have a couple focal points which are those trees in the background and the statue. I dont know if you are going to use those trees for anything in your animation but they really stand out a lot.

While the statue is closer to the color of the snow so ya...it sorta makes the viewer look at the trees first then maybe the statue, then the sky in that order...if you dont want to change the snow (maybe to gradient), then you prob need to fix the tree color a bit so it doesnt stand out and cause the audience to look at that first since the color it is stands out the most...

Reactions: Sutekh94

Rich Jammer

By the Numbers Accountant
Backers' Beta Tester
I got an idea for an animation. It has the song "Close to You" by The Carpenters playing. It is about Paprika's infatuation with Oleander.
For the line "Why do birds suddenly appear, every time you are near?" Vultures are seen flying around Oleander.
For the line "Why do stars fall down from the sky, every time you walk by?' meteors fall down onto a town and people ungulates run away screaming.

Poppun

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Jun 9, 2016
I think it would work best if the colour of the trees were softened, and perhaps the snow was made a touch lighter as well to help the stature stand out

Those animation models are adorable by the way

Though when you finish this one, another piece you could reuse the background for is something where each of the characters is trying to make a snow/ice sculpture with varying degrees of success: Velvet uses her magic to make a really impressive sculpture in only a few seconds, Arizona is using her horns and hooves to chip at the ice, Oleander is holding the tools in her magic, Paprika is pouring shaved ice syrup on different sections and licking it off (yet somehow producing a surprisingly decent sculpture), Pom is quietly patting a pile of snow, and Tianhuo keeps melting her materials.

In the end we have Velvet's impressive sculpture, everyone else's serviceable ice sculptures (I imagine Arizona's having a bunch of angles/not having any curved surfaces) and Tianhuo's ends up being a pile of snow with an angry face drawn on it

Cinnamaldehyde

DDR Savant
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 10, 2016
Lake Stevens
I think it would work best if the colour of the trees were softened, and perhaps the snow was made a touch lighter as well to help the stature stand out

Those animation models are adorable by the way

Though when you finish this one, another piece you could reuse the background for is something where each of the characters is trying to make a snow/ice sculpture with varying degrees of success: Velvet uses her magic to make a really impressive sculpture in only a few seconds, Arizona is using her horns and hooves to chip at the ice, Oleander is holding the tools in her magic, Paprika is pouring shaved ice syrup on different sections and licking it off (yet somehow producing a surprisingly decent sculpture), Pom is quietly patting a pile of snow, and Tianhuo keeps melting her materials.

In the end we have Velvet's impressive sculpture, everyone else's serviceable ice sculptures (I imagine Arizona's having a bunch of angles/not having any curved surfaces) and Tianhuo's ends up being a pile of snow with an angry face drawn on it
That reminds me of that one pic here just a sec,
winterfun_colour.png

This one yeah. Basically an animated version of this picture.

Oh, and sorry. I haven't been working on this in a loooooooong time. I guess I should finish it, I did get about 1/4th of the way with it then just stopped.
I don't remember why...
Hmm.
Thanks for reminding me that this existed Rich!

Poppun

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Jun 9, 2016
Oh neat! I've never seen this one....But either way, I'm looking forward to seeing the one you're working on now