A Really Dumb Idea

Lunamann

Rookie Dark Magick Wielder
Apr 25, 2016
Tennessee
So y'know how in fighting games if your combo gets high enough words like "Amazing!" and "Insane!" will appear near the combo count? Well how about one of the words that appears near it was "Bodacious!"? Not really for any particular reason, I just really want to see the word bodacious in a game for some reason. XD
Going off of this... what about it being tailored to the character? Like, Velvet would have Bodacious! or Divine!, Oleander would have Horrifying! or Eldrich!, things like that.

Rich Jammer

By the Numbers Accountant
Backers' Beta Tester
I have some for Arizona:

- Ace-high
- Baker's Dozen (for 13 Hit combo)
- Balmy
- What in the Blue Blazes?!
- Bully!
- Bully for you!
- Dabster
- Daisy
- Exfluncticate
- Greenhorn
- High-Falutin
- Love Lick (1 hit combo or first hit)
- Rip-roaring
- Rumbumptious
- Sakes Alive
- Savage as a Meat Axe
- Savagerous
- Splendiferous
- Tenderfoot

I found it from this site with alot of ole' timey western talk: Western Slang, Lingo, and Phrases - A Writer's Guide to the Old West

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
This is a really dumb idea. Thus it should get into the game.
Only a little extra load on Anu and.... is it Beta who have to program it?

Reactions: Bboy9451

Anukan

Three Worn Words
Mane6 Developer
Feb 2, 2016
Penzance
This is how adding combo quips currently looks for me in the backend.

I currently have uniques all the way up to 150 (there's a couple gaps in there, but they're easily fillable), and was planning to have uniques up to 250 (even though I don't think they'll be visible much if at all in live builds, but you never know), after which it'd move in intervals of 10, 25, 50 and 100, as it went further down the line, with some significant numbers here and there thrown in for flavour, and cap it at 999 (Which is what Skullgirls also caps at, last I knew)

So, adding more combo quips?, doable.

Adding character-specific combo quips?... IIIIIII don't think I really want to go there, to be honest. One of those things that I'd probably take a look at and ask programmers to do near the end of the project if there's time and it's relatively easy, but... you know, not really near the top of my flair & fluff list.

Bboy9451

Kat
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
My own little world
Going off of this... what about it being tailored to the character? Like, Velvet would have Bodacious! or Divine!, Oleander would have Horrifying! or Eldrich!, things like that.
I see what ya mean, that'd be a really nice detail. And I'm not sure about this but I don't think it'd be too hard to program.

Velvet: Graceful, elegant, spectacular
Arizona: Rowdy, dirty, nimble
and then
Paprika: Superfluous
Not sure about "Nimble!", but I like the rest of those.

I have some for Arizona:

- Ace-high
- Baker's Dozen (for 13 Hit combo)
- Balmy
- What in the Blue Blazes?!
- Bully!
- Bully for you!
- Dabster
- Daisy
- Exfluncticate
- Greenhorn
- High-Falutin
- Love Lick (1 hit combo or first hit)
- Rip-roaring
- Rumbumptious
- Sakes Alive
- Savage as a Meat Axe
- Savagerous
- Splendiferous
- Tenderfoot
Some of those are really good. I especially like "Baker's Dozen!" I'm not too fond of "Love Lick!" though.
Also some of them seem a bit long like "Savage as a Meat Axe!" and "What in the Blue Blazes!?"

I currently have uniques all the way up to 150 (there's a couple gaps in there, but they're easily fillable), and was planning to have uniques up to 250 (even though I don't think they'll be visible much if at all in live builds, but you never know), after which it'd move in intervals of 10, 25, 50 and 100, as it went further down the line, with some significant numbers here and there thrown in for flavour, and cap it at 999 (Which is what Skullgirls also caps at, last I knew)

Adding character-specific combo quips?... IIIIIII don't think I really want to go there, to be honest. One of those things that I'd probably take a look at and ask programmers to do near the end of the project if there's time and it's relatively easy, but... you know, not really near the top of my flair & fluff list.
Wow, all the way to 999? That's gonna take a while. I see why you're not too keen on the idea of character-specific combo quips though. It is just a small detail that most likely will just get overlooked, and therefor unnoticed.
But then again it is a detail, and little details like that are what help give personality to some games (Not sure if that's the right word to use there) If it ever was to be added though I assume it'd be a "Just before launch" sort of addition since it's definitely not necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Queezeey

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup

What the heck is the one for 100 is from?! Also there are a few that's a bit bland, I mean HUGE for 126 with all those around it? Not Jammy enough.
We also need one that asks you to quit it already it's getting boring.
Also, easter eggs in the very-very high numbers :D

Cronnicossy

Fighter Enthusiast & Teacher
Backers' Beta Tester
What the heck is the one for 100 is from?! Also there are a few that's a bit bland, I mean HUGE for 126 with all those around it? Not Jammy enough.
We also need one that asks you to quit it already it's getting boring.
Also, easter eggs in the very-very high numbers :D
It was from the ol-- uh.
It's a reference to the Player "Desk". If you look up Desk Combo's on Youtube, you'll find him and his combo video's that are ussually meant for Style instead of optimal damage. So getting 100 Hits is basically saying "ARE YOU THIS GUY WHO'S SUPER GOOD AT FINDING COMBO'S?!"