A Plea from a Keyboard Paprika player

Brimstone

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
May 26, 2017
This is just more of a plea from a hapless player who struggles with every match, unable to control the fact I sometimes Anti Air instead of A jab.
Would it be possible to just give the option of rebinding the command for Anti Air to a separate key entirely? Or button for Controllers/Fight Stick peeps?

Red Witch

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
May 12, 2017
Honestly, a little practice will do ya a lot of good in this regard.

If you're playing keyboard, (and assuming you're holding forward ((6)) while trying to jab) there are a couple of tricks you can use to resist the game handing you 6A: if you really have the need to hold forward, but feel that jab coming, hold back (4) at the same time. So you're holding forward, backward, and jabbing at the same time.

What this does: holding both at the same time activates a system thing called SOCD (Simultaneous Opposite Cardinal Directions) which is super fancy for ~Holding both directions makes you stand still~

You can also just try to remember to let go of forward when you wanna hit 'em! It's odd at first, but with some time in the training room, you'll get it!

Why i'd recommend practicing the input:
Anti-air on a single button by itself would be just a little bit too strong. Also considering where the game is in its development, it's not really a feasible thing to request, sadly. So train hard and hit your opponents harder. You can do it!

Brimstone

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
May 26, 2017
I dont see how being able to put anti air on a single button would be too strong? The game already allows for macros, so I don't feel its too unfeasible at least in the near future.
As for practice, having to break habits like quick dashing for jabs or trying to move a little forward for the bit of extra pixel distance for some quick jabs feels just so offputting. I honestly feel its just the sensitivity of the moves. Almost feels like I dont even have to tap forward, just hold the key down.

Svierrod

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
I dont see how being able to put anti air on a single button would be too strong? . . .
It's a subtle reason, but essentially, when the universal anti-air input requires you to hold forward, you can't do it instantly from a blocking state. It'd be silly if you could hold back, or even down-back, and then continue holding that direction, and pop an anti-air with such high priority in the opponent's face the instant you sense trouble. Having the input involve a forward direction requires just a tiny bit more commitment, and demands that you pay a little bit more attention to your movement and what the opponent is doing. It's not "broken", just kind of silly for it to be *that* easy.

Honestly, the thing that gets me with Paprika is my terrible habit of getting jab cartwheel instead of UAA. I just always have a back charge prepared, and cartwheel takes priority over UAA. Which is good! But I don't know how to trash a back charge, or how to go about implementing something like that. It's just slightly annoying that these two moves overlap like that.

Brimstone

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
May 26, 2017
It's a subtle reason, but essentially, when the universal anti-air input requires you to hold forward, you can't do it instantly from a blocking state. It'd be silly if you could hold back, or even down-back, and then continue holding that direction, and pop an anti-air with such high priority in the opponent's face the instant you sense trouble. Having the input involve a forward direction requires just a tiny bit more commitment, and demands that you pay a little bit more attention to your movement and what the opponent is doing. It's not "broken", just kind of silly for it to be *that* easy.

Honestly, the thing that gets me with Paprika is my terrible habit of getting jab cartwheel instead of UAA. I just always have a back charge prepared, and cartwheel takes priority over UAA. Which is good! But I don't know how to trash a back charge, or how to go about implementing something like that. It's just slightly annoying that these two moves overlap like that.
I can see that reasoning being fair. But then why make it light/jab/A? A move you usually wanna do to confirm hits to start your combos? I honestly haven't experienced a fighting game use directional inputs like this for your most basic move.
Yeah Paps cartwheel feels a bit jankier than in Fighting is Magic's equivalent. Even say Cerebella's charges feel nice to use but Paps just feel awkward. I continually try to use the Light Cartwheel into some Light Jabs but it never works, she just stands there for some frames doing nothing.

Stars

Just a Guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Kansas
I had a similar issue starting out, but in my case it was trying to get Tianhuo to fly. For the longest time I'd end up doing a Firecracker instead because I also trying to advance or retreat. Just had to put in some time doing it deliberately for a while. It felt awkward and slowed my reactions while I adjusted to not holding a direction, but I did manage to start doing it naturally after some practice.

Svierrod

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
But then why make it light/jab/A?
Because it's fast, mostly. That's half of what the "A" button is for. Just remember that, if you have a tilt like this, somebody is always going to complain that they accidentally get a move they didn't want, regardless of what button you put it on, and the answer is usually just to clean up your inputs. The cause is typically people getting used to not caring which direction they're pressing when they hit a button. Tilts are usually manageable, but they do have to be managed by the player. Usually.

But, and this is the reason Papirka is awkward for me, when it comes to tilts like this, I typically say you should hold :4: while pressing the button to avoid getting the universal anti-air by accident. Run up, then hit :4::A: so you can only get standing jab. Can't do that with Paprika, if you were holding :6: for too long, you'd get a teleport from that instead. And you can't hold :1: or :4: for too long, since then :6::A: gives you cartwheel and not universal anti-air. It feels like the charge inputs get in the way of getting the move you want sometimes, and there's currently not a way to trash your charge if you get one by accident.

I think it'd be nice to have something like :[4]:, :6::A: still be cartwheel, but have :[4]:, :6::6::A: give you universal anti-air. It's not ideal to have to push :6::6::A: instead of :6::A: to get UAA, but it's better than not being able to do it all in some circumstances.