A little something to think about (Oleander & Paprika)

Poppun

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Jun 9, 2016
Recently I was thinking about Lawyer Friendly Equines character dynamics I enjoy watching and how they would translate to their Them's Fightin' Herds counterparts and it made me realize something; both Oleander & Paprika have been rejected by their home communities for being too different for them to handle and that it could lead to some interesting moments.

One possibility is the two of them talking and Paprika mentioning what happened with her and not even realising what was actually happening while Oleander becomes increasingly shocked as the story continues, perhaps:

Spoilered for length, and possibly script format
Paprika: -And then they gave me to the city

Oleander: What?

Paprika: They wrapped me up, took me to the city, then they sang and left; it was just like being a birthday present! Which is great because I'd been hoping they'd start giving birthday presents, usually they just congratulate you on surviving another year which isn't very much fun

Oleander (in thought): Oh gosh, they abandoned her

Paprika: We've had some really fun times too though, like the time I got to make sweaters for everypaca!

Oleander: That sounds nice, if a bit redundant

Paprika: Oh! It was great! Except for the part where I had to clean all the sand out after they got stuffed into holes in the tents, I meant really if they wanted new tents why didn't they just say so? I could have put their faces on them and everything!

Oleander: What?

Paprika: Or the time we all went swimming! Normally there isn't a lot of water, but this time there was a whole bunch of it all at once and we got to ride on this log and everypaca was so happy they all started hugging each other

Oleander: That sounds like a flash flood

Paprika: -And everypaca's fluff was really stinky afterwards, except for mine because that's where I keep my cactus blossom collection. *Pulls out cactus blossom* Oh-Oh-Oh! There's also the time we all went hiking and passed out except Adobo & me!

Oleander (in thought): I don't even want to know what happened there, but I think I'm starting to realise why they left her
(Yes....I imagine Paprika as seeing things through heavy prescription rose coloured glasses, to the point that the vast majority of negative things end up being filtered out entirely)

Another possibility is Oleander realising what happened and being torn about whether to tell Paprika or not since she doesn't seem to realise and touching on the possibility by talking about her own experiences with the order of the horn and how she felt about it. Eventually she decides that it would be kinder to let her know now when someone who understands is there to talk about it, instead of letting her find out when she finds her tribe again and they don't want her back. After Oleander tells her there's a moment of stunned silence and then....

Paprika: *Loud Gasp* We can be exile buddies!!! YAAAAY!!!! Now you don't have to be the only one anymore and I know all about wandering around the middle nowhere looking for a place to live, I can make us special matching best friends tents with our names on them, show you how to make my recipe for cactus waffles with sand sprinkles,-

During the resulting monologue Oleander once again feels torn; on the one hoof she's Paprika's taking this far better than expected, on the other hoof she's somewhat afraid for her own safety now