• Velvet

Votes: 12 41.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UnintelGen

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Long time, no... Wait. It hasn't been THAT long, has it? Well, never the mind!

I come bearing a teaser! Hazzah! ... For reals, though, I've been unable to work again until just 3-4 days ago and things have just really picked up steam. Bear in mind that the colorings are only object colors with quick and dirty materials applied. And that I haven't been able to work on the ears yet for a few reasons, so I've been avoiding them for the time being.

Edit: You guys are a real earful to listen to.

Last edited:

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains

I come bearing a teaser! Hazzan! ... For reals, though, I've been unable to work again until just 3-4 days ago and things have just really picked up steam. Bare in mind that the colorings are only object colors with quick and dirty materials applied. And that I haven't been able to work on the ears yet for a few reasons, so I've been avoiding them for the time being.
Who knew Arizona was such an airhead?

Kidding aside, this is rightly impressive. Keep up the good work.

KYMSnowman

Professional Potato
Backers' Beta Tester

I come bearing a teaser! Hazzan! ... For reals, though, I've been unable to work again until just 3-4 days ago and things have just really picked up steam. Bare in mind that the colorings are only object colors with quick and dirty materials applied. And that I haven't been able to work on the ears yet for a few reasons, so I've been avoiding them for the time being.
"Insert ear-splitting joke here" :Paprika:

This looks much better already! Can't wait to see the ears in place for the full silhouette.

Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

Rich Jammer

By the Numbers Accountant
Backers' Beta Tester

I bet she's deaf cause she can't ear anything...

UnintelGen

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
The model is now content complete... Barring the interiors of the mouth and possibly some extra loops for the ear.

You can also check out the finished model on Sketchfab, here!

Through the whole thing I probably remade the ears 4 or so times, but I finally get what I wanted... For the most part.

KYMSnowman

Professional Potato
Backers' Beta Tester
The model looks great! Every angle I view it at looks fantastic and I really admire that you modeled an "actual" knot for the bandana.

Looking at the wire-frame though, I think your "low poly" model still has way too many edge loops on it (36k faces is still high poly in my book) but you're trying to retain a basic smoothness so I can understand the need.

One way I can think of fixing this without sacrificing too much of your existing work would be to edit those weird areas where it looks like there are odd shrunken extrusions and corners (best way I can describe them).

I don't know how feasible that would be with your model, but I think making the geometry just generally cleaner would benefit your model if you want to rig it.

Speaking of which, the eyes look good but they wouldn't really be able to blink if you were to rig her. Are you gonna add eyelids or something to compensate or are you not making this model for rigging? I assumed you were considering you're adding mouth geometry.

Last edited:
Reactions: UnintelGen

Redness

The Class Pet
Oct 17, 2016
Fœnum
www.youtube.com
I usually don't jump into 3D modeling stuff cause I don't know what i'm talking about half the time, but The lack of Thems Fightin' Herds player models in Garry's Mod disturbs me.

UnintelGen

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
The model looks great! Every angle I view it at looks fantastic and I really admire that you modeled an "actual" knot for the bandana.

Looking at the wire-frame though, I think your "low poly" model still has way too many edge loops on it (36k faces is still high poly in my book) but you're trying to retain a basic smoothness so I can understand the need.

One way I can think of fixing this without sacrificing too much of your existing work would be to edit those weird areas where it looks like there are odd shrunken extrusions and corners (best way I can describe them).

I don't know how feasible that would be with your model, but I think making the geometry just generally cleaner would benefit your model if you want to rig it.

Speaking of which, the eyes look good but they wouldn't really be able to blink if you were to rig her. Are you gonna add eyelids or something to compensate or are you not making this model for rigging? I assumed you were considering you're adding mouth geometry.
OK, I should've clairifed that the sketchfab upload was subdivided once for smoothness. The real polycount (triangles) is a much more reasonable 14k-ish count. The vast majority of them quads and (mostly) clean loops.

As for the eyes and mouth, I do intend to both rig the eyes and build a mouth. I have messed with shapekeys to work out the eyelids and it works surprisingly well. I'm looking toward vertex deforming/bone deformation (using bendy bones) and corrective shape keys to fix the curvature of the movement.

Still deciding on how to model the teeth (how stylized, etc.) But the bigger thing I'm waiting on is buying auto rig pro. Figured rigging should be the next step, then UV'ing and texturing, then painting masks.

Creating a whole character is... Kinda a lot when you break it down like that.

I usually don't jump into 3D modeling stuff cause I don't know what i'm talking about half the time, but The lack of Thems Fightin' Herds player models in Garry's Mod disturbs me.
I can't say for sure that it'll happen, but my model doesn't have to many issues to be fixed for converting it to the Source Engine. Frankly I'd be delighted to see it happen!

I do know there were some TFHs character models for Gmod. I didn't hate them, but a few things did bug me. They were well made enough. Think they were on Deviantart.

Redness

The Class Pet
Oct 17, 2016
Fœnum
www.youtube.com
Ok! I made this in GMod as a "Posing without SFM challenge", and Here are the results. This has got mixed reviews by friends, some say its trash and others say its great... so... Here you go!
Work time: 45 minutes to an hour.
This was completely made in GMod! no external programs were used!
Tall image warning!
20161210205451_1.jpg
Steam link: Steam Community :: :: Peaceful Stroll

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
Ok! I made this in GMod as a "Posing without SFM challenge", and Here are the results. This has got mixed reviews by friends, some say its trash and others say its great... so... Here you go!
Work time: 45 minutes to an hour.
This was completely made in GMod! no external programs were used!
Tall image warning!
Steam link: Steam Community :: :: Peaceful Stroll
I think this looks pretty nice.

Reactions: Redness