Votes: 12 41.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
Nose heavy. Waiting for her to faceplant. Tian would be proud. Like it though, however weird these characters look in 3d. (Same for pones.) Did you save the screenshot as a gif?

Klint

Fabulous, Darling
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Update2.png

FHTNG with some minor modifications. Soon the Uniomnicron shall be complete.

Cinnamaldehyde

DDR Savant
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 10, 2016
Lake Stevens
10/10 would judge that book by its cover.
but seriously, it looks good.
all I can make in 3D programs are things made out of simple shapes, like the characters in the N64 Smash Bros.

Klint

Fabulous, Darling
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
So I completed a thing. I put it in a spoiler in case bones aren't your thing.
All the bones are from a complete skeleton available from Blendswap under CC-0.
bone FHTNG.png

Klint

Fabulous, Darling
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Dude, you look like a comic book drawing, like with edgy outlines, that's so cool!
Thanks! I think I might do the same thing with Pom, but better.
I look like a comic book drawing? I'm a fan cartoons, but I didn't know that I am a cartoon. My dreams have come true!

UnintelGen

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I told myself I wouldn't do it, I didn't want to do it. But then I wanted to, and it was so.

EDIT: Model is going to be updated somewhat frequently. (At least, until the sculpt is finished)
It's still gonna be the same link below. (Not updating the preview image however.)

Arizona (First sculpt pass) by UnintelGen on Sketchfab

Wish I could embed Sketchfab here, but it's not to be. (Probably good for performance reasons)

(Since others have posted their 3D art in this thread, I figured I would too. For now. If I finish this, it's probably going back to my thread. My empty thread where I don't post anything. Or post at all, for that matter. I don't mean to be a lurker! :confused:)

This is just me trying to get proportions down. Was mostly using Faust's sketches as a loose guide.

Bear in mind this is very rough. I always show my projects too early... Some would say that's me looking for feebdack... It's really more me being impatient. I haven't sculpted in awhile, so it feels great to be doing it again. This was originally going to be a much more focused posed 'action' sculpt until I just kept running into issues (And originally it was going to be Oleander. It was actually something I wanted to do during the crowd funding campaign... But it just wasn't happening. Was originally just going to be Arizona and Velvet, so I'm starting with them (Haven't started Velvet... Others may follow if successful.))

EDIT:
@Cinnamaldehyde

Thanks for the compliment! I like the SFM/Gmod Pony models well enough- But I always felt I could do them just a bit better if I tried my hand at it. Never have though. 2Snacks made a much better and more specialized Timid Ferovore Hoers model that people were a lot more keen on- But I think that project died.

Small personal note, but I have been personally wondering if I've made the eyes too big. But then I figured it'd lend better to creating exaggerated and cartoony expressions. Might change them, but prob not. If nothing else, they are a tad bigger than the Faust sketches. I think the in-game model is bigger (Compared to the sketches)? I forget. Weird. No bangs or hair on top does give the head a smaller appearance though. I have been working on the bangs now, but I think they need to be a little bigger. There's been tons of touch ups since I uploaded this 20 or so hours ago.

As for the neckerchief- It does need some work. I am going to try and drag the front portion near the neck downward to give it a looser feel. Thanks for noticing that- I don't think I would've changed it otherwise.

EDIT the second:

Holy shit at the word filtering.

...I love it. :D

Last edited:

Cinnamaldehyde

DDR Savant
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 10, 2016
Lake Stevens
I told myself I wouldn't do it, I didn't want to do it. But then I wanted to, and it was so.

Arizona (First sculpt pass) by UnintelGen on Sketchfab

Wish I could embed Sketchfab here, but it's not to be. (Probably good for performance reasons)

(Since others have posted their 3D art in this thread, I figured I would too. For now. If I finish this, it's probably going back to my thread. My empty thread where I don't post anything. Or post at all, for that matter. I don't mean to be a lurker! :confused:)

This is just me trying to get proportions down. Was mostly using Faust's sketches as a loose guide.

Bear in mind this is very rough. I always show my projects too early... Some would say that's me looking for feebdack... It's really more me being impatient. I haven't sculpted in awhile, so it feels great to be doing it again. This was originally going to be a much more focused posed 'action' sculpt until I just kept running into issues (And originally it was going to be Oleander. It was actually something I wanted to do during the crowd funding campaign... But it just wasn't happening. Was originally just going to be Arizona and Velvet, so I'm starting with them (Haven't started Velvet... Others may follow if successful.))
The shape of the head slightly reminds me of the sfm pony models, but better.
I know this is pretty early, but I would suggest moving the neckerchief up a little bit in the front, it kind of looks like a bib right now.
Looks great!

UnintelGen

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Eh... Heh. I was afraid someone would say something like that. :oops:

Really, I don't mean to discourage anybody and have loved pretty much everything in the thread so far, especially your FHTNG book so far, Klint! And CrazyBark's Oleander is looking fantastic- I really like how the ears, eyelashes, and hair were done!

I'm sure you're joking though, so... Yeah- Keep on keeping on!

Just so you know, I've been using Blender on and off for years, so I've built workflows and personal tips/ideas to optimize what I'm trying to create. And besides that, I have the rather unfortunate streak of things not getting done or succumbing to feature creep so who knows! I do hope to at least get Arizona done, though. I have a lot of ideas planned (There I go again!) but if at least I get the sculpt done I'll be satisfied. And, though I've failed this promise before, if I do finish the project it will be hosted freely for anyone to mess around with.

Anyway, I've been uploading on Sketchfab (Which you should all try at some point!) largely to see what it will and will not accept. I've been surprised that some things work that I assumed wouldn't! So that's good.

One last preview picture before I upload the final sculpt to Sketchfab (That is not where the project ends, I'm afraid!)

Still some little things that need done, and I still don't like the hooves, but this is pretty indicative of the final sculpt.

UnintelGen

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Kinda creepy as frick. Needs fur.
Funny you say that... I have a pretty neat idea to tackle cheap (realtime) fur towards the end of the project. It's not much, and is probably more 'expensive' than I imagine, but for the Sketchfab release it should look fantastic. (If I get it working like I think I can)
Still, it'll mostly beholden to that classic, or 'retro', cartoon animal look. The fur will be minimal, mostly to create some noise/variance.

Why is that? Do you feel they are a bit on the small side? I aske because that's how I feel about them, imo.
My main issue is that it's kinda hard to sculpt down there in general, so I avoided them for the most part. Keeping consistency, creating hard edges, and making sure they don't get too 'round' at the bottom are a couple concerns I have had to deal with just Arizona's hooves. Keeping it inline for other characters is also going to suck. Really, any footing or bottom of a character sculpt kinda sucks in my experience. It's also pretty rough poly/smooth wise and it's hard to keep the structure while smoothing out the 'bumps'. It's hard to explain.
Still, I'll look into sizing them up a little.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: Did the tail and neckerchief knot. Lost some detail on the knot as I unknowingly did something to the body sculpt... but no biggie. Just gonna have to do it again. Just some final details and clean up and the sculpt will be done. I might be able to finish it tonight!

Here's the link again to the 3D model:
Arizona (Temp) by UnintelGen - 3D model

(Same as on the last page, I've been updating the model instead of multiple uploads.)

Last edited:

Crazybark

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Eh... Heh. I was afraid someone would say something like that. :oops:

Really, I don't mean to discourage anybody and have loved pretty much everything in the thread so far, especially your FHTNG book so far, Klint! And CrazyBark's Oleander is looking fantastic- I really like how the ears, eyelashes, and hair were done!

I'm sure you're joking though, so... Yeah- Keep on keeping on!

Just so you know, I've been using Blender on and off for years, so I've built workflows and personal tips/ideas to optimize what I'm trying to create. And besides that, I have the rather unfortunate streak of things not getting done or succumbing to feature creep so who knows! I do hope to at least get Arizona done, though. I have a lot of ideas planned (There I go again!) but if at least I get the sculpt done I'll be satisfied. And, though I've failed this promise before, if I do finish the project it will be hosted freely for anyone to mess around with.

Anyway, I've been uploading on Sketchfab (Which you should all try at some point!) largely to see what it will and will not accept. I've been surprised that some things work that I assumed wouldn't! So that's good.

One last preview picture before I upload the final sculpt to Sketchfab (That is not where the project ends, I'm afraid!)

Still some little things that need done, and I still don't like the hooves, but this is pretty indicative of the final sculpt.
i like your arizona cant wait to see it colored. p.s. how does one share models?

UnintelGen

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
i like your arizona cant wait to see it colored. p.s. how does one share models?
Thanks. The 'coloring' that I'm planning should be pretty sweet- And functional, too. I'm going to use masks and layers to allow for the same alt skinning that Mane 6 does with their flash models. Mines a bit easier to implement, though.

As to your question... It's a tricky thing. See, there are TONS of ways to share 3D models and what not. My particular way that I am going to do it is to simply host the finished file on Sketchfab, (which I've named probably a dozen times at this point like some.. kind of 'advertising bot'.... anyway), which will allow you to view the model on your browser and let you download the accompanying ".blend" file which will contain the same scene that will allow you to edit or extract any and all elements you like or want to use.
Everything except the sculpt. Once high resolution textures and what not start happening it becomes difficult to keep the file size under 50MB, so the sculpt will probably never be downloadable.
There are, of course, other sites purely for model uploading, like BlendSwap, for instance. I'm just choosing Sketchfab because I personally really like the site's functionality. And the site. It's a pretty cool site, and I don't really upload as much as I should.
(The sites I've mentioned, Sketchfab and BlendSwap, are completely free to use by the way.)

Crazybark

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Thanks. The 'coloring' that I'm planning should be pretty sweet- And functional, too. I'm going to use masks and layers to allow for the same alt skinning that Mane 6 does with their flash models. Mines a bit easier to implement, though.

As to your question... It's a tricky thing. See, there are TONS of ways to share 3D models and what not. My particular way that I am going to do it is to simply host the finished file on Sketchfab, (which I've named probably a dozen times at this point like some.. kind of 'advertising bot'.... anyway), which will allow you to view the model on your browser and let you download the accompanying ".blend" file which will contain the same scene that will allow you to edit or extract any and all elements you like or want to use.
Everything except the sculpt. Once high resolution textures and what not start happening it becomes difficult to keep the file size under 50MB, so the sculpt will probably never be downloadable.
There are, of course, other sites purely for model uploading, like BlendSwap, for instance. I'm just choosing Sketchfab because I personally really like the site's functionality. And the site. It's a pretty cool site, and I don't really upload as much as I should.
(The sites I've mentioned, Sketchfab and BlendSwap, are completely free to use by the way.)
Thank you! never heard of sketchfab before but ill check it out.

Klint

Fabulous, Darling
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Finally, access to internet.
Arizona's looking great. How are you planning on adding fur?