2D Fighting games in VR speculation

Rocketknightgeek

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Now that we're starting to finally get consumer level tech like the Vive and Oculous, and with Hololens supposedly just around the corner, how do you guys feel about the idea of being able to sit down in a virtual 'room' and have the fight happening in front of you (or possibly on your table in the case of AR) with you also having to physically look left to right as the fighters move around while you remain static?

Obviously, this means that things like zoom ins for supers and cinematic angles will have to go but what about other things. Does the sudden jump to life sized fighters with no visible 'screen edge' present too big a shift in perception? Should the HUD remain fixed or will it have to be attached to the fighters themselves? Would it be as awesome as it seems in my head to be able to watch high level play from what may as well be a box seat?

I bring this up because it occurred to me that the limited 2D arena of fighting games is uniquely ideal for this sort of static player camera setup but nobody has really looked into it so far.

So, any thoughts?

Nadia

Feb 4, 2016
Germany
I think that Fighting Games just don't need VR.

VR is something that will work for some games, and is just a unnecessary Gimmick that a lot of other Games just don't need.

Oreo

Keepin' It Stylish
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
D.M.V. FGC
Some genres of game benefit greatly from VR. Flight sims and VR is a match made in heaven, and space sims work just as well if not better. Fighting games don't translate to VR, and probably shouldn't be forced to.

Rocketknightgeek

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
As a genre that's usually abound with bright flashy effects everywhere on the screen at all times, I really don't want to be immersed when I get Happy Birthday'd by a random Shinku Hadouken.
That's Marvel and anime fighters, the likes of KOF and SFV are actually very subdued in that kind of thing.

Velvet_The_Reindeer

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 13, 2016
I dont think VR would really apply to 2D fighting games, i dont see hwo they would really benefit from VR

Rocketknightgeek

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
It's not so much that they'd benefit from VR as far as actual play goes so much as that they're unique in traditional gaming genres with their limited arena and static camera position as a thing that would translate well to being played sitting still (so you sit in the center of the arena and look left to right as the fight moves) or projected onto a surface such as a table. Someone is going to include it in a PC version as an option for those with the rig sooner or later and I thought it might be a fun thing to speculate on. Clearly I was wrong and the only real discussion is how pointless fun novelties are.