TFHs D&D (5e) Campaign

Talen-Jei

Gureato Daze
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 8, 2016
Louisiana
Sorry for not healing you a bunch :( but in my defense I wanted to be a Tempest cleric. But it was my first D&D character, so I'll let it be.
Your cleric was actually quite interesting. It certainly was pretty fun playing with one who wasn't a heal bot.

Now as for the campaign itself, I certainly had a lot of fun playing as Colorado. He definitely shot up there to being one of my favorite characters that I have ever roleplayed as. Funny how I originally wasn't supposed to be part of this group, but I ended up ninja'ing a slot.

Here's to seeing more great adventures in the future. (By that, I mean when we inevitably show up for the finale due to that cliffhanger ending.)

((Also look, my first actual post on this thread. Ooo-wee.))

Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

BypenThynDragon

I for one welcom our new ruler Smugdeer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Anyways, regardless of the specifics, I thoroughly enjoyed my time as IO. Maybe a bit too much considering I burned down three buildings... but still had a good time.
And that bar is still burning for 25 years (No one will get this but me, ENH)

0Zero100

Alpaka Representative/Robot Family Bear
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas
Your cleric was actually quite interesting. It certainly was pretty fun playing with one who wasn't a heal bot.

Now as for the campaign itself, I certainly had a lot of fun playing as Colorado. He definitely shot up there to being one of my favorite characters that I have ever roleplayed as. Funny how I originally wasn't supposed to be part of this group, but I ended up ninja'ing a slot.

Here's to seeing more great adventures in the future. (By that, I mean when we inevitably show up for the finale due to that cliffhanger ending.)

((Also look, my first actual post on this thread. Ooo-wee.))
Bro. Legit forgot your username because I've known you as Colorado for the past 8 months.

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
SO NOW YOU TELL ME!
I might just have to join someday! :D
We actually have more than just one campaign over on the server, with new ones popping up as it grows. And hey, you can always listen in on the sessions. Even if you don't play, we always welcome more people.
True fact. All very true. In fact, it might behoove me to make a thread specifically about just that.

0Zero100

Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas
Idk how to play D&D but this looks like good fun tbh! :D
I didn't either. But look at me now! (Points to the above picture) Throwing molotovs into buildings and never healing my party members when they needed it, all in a days work!

But in all seriousness, being in the campaign gave me a huge appreciation for D&D. And now I'm even trying to write a oneshot. It's crazy how much has changed in the past 8 months. But it was well worth it getting to play with these guys and just generally chatting in chat.

BypenThynDragon

I for one welcom our new ruler Smugdeer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
SO NOW YOU TELL ME!
I might just have to join someday! :D
I run a game on the server as well, it uses the URealms system and plays in an au to TFH, if you want to try a game like DnD you can hop onto mine, I'm always accepting new players, or see if you can get into Dungeon Miner's DnD 5e, ElderScrolls game also on the server, I would stay away from Pathfinder as that system is a lot more complicated (I tried and still don't understand it).

0Zero100

Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas
I run a game on the server as well, it uses the URealms system and plays in an au to TFH, if you want to try a game like DnD you can hop onto mine, I'm always accepting new players, or see if you can get into Dungeon Miner's DnD 5e, ElderScrolls game also on the server, I would stay away from Pathfinder as that system is a lot more complicated (I tried and still don't understand it).
Pathfinder? Complicated? Whaaaaat? No it's not. It's only got... about 600 different feats to choose from. That's not THAT complicated.

(For real though, it is. I play it and even I don't understand what everyone is doing half of the time. If it ain't attacc, defenn, or magicc, I'm totally lost.)

Delusional Dreamer

Dreamer of Delusional Dreams
Sep 29, 2016
The Moon.
steamcommunity.com
I would stay away from Pathfinder as that system is a lot more complicated (I tried and still don't understand it).
Pathfinder? Complicated? Whaaaaat? No it's not. It's only got... about 600 different feats to choose from. That's not THAT complicated.

(For real though, it is. I play it and even I don't understand what everyone is doing half of the time. If it ain't attacc, defenn, or magicc, I'm totally lost.)
Oh, thank God I wasn't the only one confused.
If you do leap into Pathfinder there is A LOT to keep track of, but there's also a ton of customization options. A few of the feats and items alone have me wanting to make more characters. Explore that route at your own risk, but know that there is plenty of cool stuff too.

Last edited:

Talen-Jei

Gureato Daze
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 8, 2016
Louisiana

Oh, thank God I wasn't the only one confused.
If you do leap into Pathfinder there is A LOT to keep track of, but there's also a ton of customization options. A few of the feats and items alone have me wanting to make more characters. Explore that route at your own risk, but know that there is some cool stuff.
Well, Pathfinder is based off of D&D 3.5e, so it's definitely a system geared towards more experienced players. It's why I like 5e so much. 5e is so much more accessible when compared to other versions.

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
The core system itself isn't all that bad. A few bits of strange mechanics here and there, but if you stripped down all of the extra stuff, the system was solid enough. Though it's a land ripe for mechanics cheese and OP characters if you know what you're doing.

5th Edition D&D appears to be aimed at a more streamlined and easier to pick up style of play. Which is quite good for both people new to tabletop and D&D, imo. Though it still has plenty of options to allow one to sink their teeth in deep.

0Zero100

Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas
The core system itself isn't all that bad. A few bits of strange mechanics here and there, but if you stripped down all of the extra stuff, the system was solid enough. Though it's a land ripe for mechanics cheese and OP characters if you know what you're doing.

5th Edition D&D appears to be aimed at a more streamlined and easier to pick up style of play. Which is quite good for both people new to tabletop and D&D, imo. Though it still has plenty of options to allow one to sink their teeth in deep.
What he said. But I'll also add that while 5e is a lot easier on newbies it still offers a TON of fun depending on who's running the campaign.

Wink Wink Mr. Isbestungulate Wink Wink

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
Hello everyone, yet again!

For those of you who might be interested, the next section of the 4-part story I'm hosting will begin this Sat (10/21/17) and the session will run from 1pm-4pm PDT. This next section will meet every Saturday (barring unforeseen events), and should run for about 3-4 months, with a 6 month hard cap.

And for those who are curious: The party will go from level 6 to, and including, level 10.

As always, any and all are welcome to listen in, and the sessions I host are more or less family-friendly. Though I should offer fair warning that I have a tendency to use darker themes in the games I host.

0Zero100

Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas
"Darker" being once or twice in the majority of the campaign and somewhat more prevalent in the FINAL session, right?

Salty Beef

Fau Con, at your service.
Hello all! The first official session of Act 2 will begin today at 1pm PDT, and will run until 4pm PDT! However, we may even run a bit longer than normal today, and may end around 5pm PDT. That said, you can catch us at all the usual places. See you on the flipside!

wait are you guys playing D&D on.. a camera stream? or.. how u playing like dis? I've never played D&D, but recently have become interested in it. we bought Divinity: Original Sin 2 and that's sorta like d&d right?

Delusional Dreamer

Sep 29, 2016
The Moon.
steamcommunity.com
wait are you guys playing D&D on.. a camera stream? or.. how u playing like dis? I've never played D&D, but recently have become interested in it. we bought Divinity: Original Sin 2 and that's sorta like d&d right?
They've been playing and recording what they do on a Youtube and Twitch channel, and the link to the server where everything happens is here. Feel free to join, half of us are new players too and it's a ton of fun. Bipen's campaign could always use more players and we've got several one-shots going on if you are interested.

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
We also play using a web sight called Roll d20. That said, D&D is what's referred to as a tabletop game (if you didn't know that already), and traditionally was played by a group of people sitting around a table with papers and dice. I've heard the experience as being compared to a choose your own adventure book that's being written as it's unfolding, with the Dungeon Master being the author and the players being the characters.

That all said, if you already knew all that, my bad. But we play using Discord's voice chat feature, and using a built in dice roller on the roll d20 sight. In the Discord server that Delusional Dreamer mentioned, we have a bot that rolls dice upon command.

So if you're curious, feel free to join us. Part of the reason the server exists is to introduce and teach tabletop to those who are new to the whole thing. No prior knowledge, or even exposure is necessary.

Salty Beef

Fau Con, at your service.
We also play using a web sight called Roll d20. That said, D&D is what's referred to as a tabletop game (if you didn't know that already), and traditionally was played by a group of people sitting around a table with papers and dice. I've heard the experience as being compared to a choose your own adventure book that's being written as it's unfolding, with the Dungeon Master being the author and the players being the characters.

That all said, if you already knew all that, my bad. But we play using Discord's voice chat feature, and using a built in dice roller on the roll d20 sight. In the Discord server that Delusional Dreamer mentioned, we have a bot that rolls dice upon command.

So if you're curious, feel free to join us. Part of the reason the server exists is to introduce and teach tabletop to those who are new to the whole thing. No prior knowledge, or even exposure is necessary.

I knew SOME of that but that was a nice description of it. yeah if I'm able to I'd probably like to join in sometime. :D

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
I knew SOME of that but that was a nice description of it. yeah if I'm able to I'd probably like to join in sometime. :D
Oh good. Well, you're welcome to join us anytime. In fact, we're having two games run later today if you want to pop in a listen in. Both games start at 1pm PDT, or 1300 PDT if you use that clock.

Delusional Dreamer

Sep 29, 2016
The Moon.
steamcommunity.com
Is the Discord server no more? You guys migrate to a new one?
Sorta. A little bit ago the thing was hacked and all the channels were deleted, but the Mods and Admin of the server were left because they couldn't be kicked and they just invited everyone back.
Here's a link if you need one: Discord - Free voice and text chat for gamers

Reactions: AuruM

AuruM

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Australia

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
Hello everyone! It's been awhile, hasn't it? Well, I just wanted to drop on by and report that this game is still going on, and is going on strong. Not only that, several other games have popped up as well that are being hosted by other fans of tabletop. So, if you were wondering if this was still a thing, the answer is a resounding:

Yes!

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
Goodness, has it really been 2 years since I last posted here? It was supposed to stay up to date with how things were progressing, but oops.

Anyway, Act 2 has come and gone, and we're nearing the end of the 3rd Act of the 4 Act campaign. So we're still going strong and there are many games running on the server for anyone who might be curious about learning D&D or just looking for some fellow nerds to hang out with and play with.