Plans for TFH at Combo Breaker 2020 (including community-funded international players)

Songhacker

"In the pipe, 5x5"
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
What is up, TFH community? My name WAS Songhacker but is now FiveByFive and I'm a longtime community member (and Velvet stalwart, because of course she's the best) continually looking to make TFH be the best it can be.

Combo Breaker was a very successful tournament venue for TFH in 2018, and even more so in 2019 thanks to the support of the developers at Mane6. Many of us in the community are looking to make Combo Breaker 2020 the next big thing for the game, but as always we face the same problem any game's community faces: how do we get even more people out to to an event, and thus amplify the hype of something like a tournament stream or VOD?

Solution: community crowdfund yaaaaay!! More specifically, we'd love to throw our focus to international players who might not have the resources on their own to attend a far-away US event.

After all, the FGC has long had a history of each game's individual communities pitching in for known-but-isolated online warriors, and despite our nicheness we think TFH can do the same at least once in its lifetime...though admittedly, we may only be able to do it for just 1 individual. Still! We think even this success would be a great highlight to start off the event.

We also just want to gauge interest in general across the community, some of which could help us during our funding effort. We'd like to know:

- players already planning to attend CB 2020
- players interested in going but not yet confirmed
- players not going but interested in viewing a stream

For the actual collection of funds, we plan on using the GoFundMe platform in a donation-stream event. Mostly Harmless, one of the collaborators on this project, successfully organized a GoFundMe campaign to raise over $1000 to benefit long-time Paprika main Mister Re, who suffered a house fire in 2018. We plan on doing a donation stream (ideally in partnership with the Fightin' Foenatics), and there'll be more details to come on its specifics.

Please understand of course that, although we would be jazzed to get tons of peeps over, we really don't anticipate getting more than a very select few, and likely only one. We can only ask what people are willing to give, after all. As such, we know some of our favorite peeps abroad will be left wanting, but we hope everyone understands all the same. At the moment, one player we're looking at closely is long-time online competitor Arcanel, the Tianhuo main from Argentina. We've seen him perform well in many events thus far, but he's yet to have an opportunity to escape his 5-delay hell, so maybe we could help him enjoy lagless locals with the rest of the game's dedicated players (if only for a weekend).

Would you be willing to help, either with the donation stream/setup/social media/ monetary contributions? Are you interested in going/watching the tournaments? We're looking for responses to be as serious as possible, though we understand that schedules and commitments change.
We'd also like to mention this plan is being managed entirely by community members for the time being, and although Mane6 would likely be thrilled to see it come to fruition, they are not currently associated with its execution.

Please let us know your thoughts in the replies, or you can contact me via Steam or in the Discord communities pinned at the top of the TFH Discussions page. Community organizers Mostly Harmless and SouthernFoxy are also available to help answer your questions. We'll be updating this thread, and sister threads posted elsewhere, when we get further information from official Combo Breaker sources (like organizer Rick "The Hadou") regarding specific event dates. We're expecting it to match the dates of previous years and be sometime in late May.

That's all for now, but please stay tuned! Remember that a game's popularity and activity is not just dependent on things like developer support and game bells/whistles, but also very much on the interest and ACTION of those who play. Support your locals! Support events! Rep TFH and show the rest of the FGC that our little indie fighter is still going strong!

Last edited:

Songhacker

"In the pipe, 5x5"
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I wish I could go to Combo Breaker. If you guys could do something for players on the west coast of the United States, I will be on board.
Moonlit Stones, Some Person is a West Coast Velvet main that used to attend some locals for TFH in 2018 and has attended multiple other TFH events locally. Maybe chat them up on the side, see how close you guys are to each other and figure out if there's possibilities.

Oh wow, just noticed he had his placings listed in his sig! So there you go.

CocoaTea

Pomeranians and Pomegranates
Feb 7, 2018
Baaahland
steamcommunity.com
I'm so onboard with the community helping known-but-short-on-funds players to go to big events like CB. The tournaments provide a lot of neat gameplay footages. At times, I wanted to see how this certain player would play if there is no lag involved. The stream was fun too.

I'm looking forward to watch the stream, if I can and I think I can at least donate a dollar or a couple more by saving some spare changes lying around.

Reactions: Songhacker

Dem

Aug 18, 2018
I'm planning on going to Combo Breaker now. Excited to see the plans!

Raverchild

Jan 30, 2019
I'm interested on going. Luckily I would be relocating to Michigan so, It'll be a 5-6hr drive to the venue so there's that.

Reactions: Songhacker

Songhacker

"In the pipe, 5x5"
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
INFORMATION UPDATE!

We are now accepting nominations for international players to be funded!

Following today's Fightin' Foenatics Match Commentary stream, we have officially announced the planning and dates for our community player fund initiative, and we're looking at all of you folks to start sending in your nominations for international players you'd like to see make it out to Combo Breaker 2020.

Arcanel from Argentina has already been locked in as sort-of the #0 recipient, but the rest will be as follows:

1. Community Choice #1
2. Organizer Choice #1
3. Community Choice #2
4. Organizer Choice #2

Send a DM to any of the Fightin' Foenatic Organizers (names in blue in the FF server, but not to Aaron who is also in the server), or simply put in the nomination via a comment here. We are only accepting nominations for players outside the contiguous US (so long flights from Alaska/Hawaii/territories are potentially acceptable), and on the next FF stream on Saturday, October 12th at 4 pm, we will announce the nominees and begin the voting process. Voting on the nominees will close at 11:59 PM US EST on October 25th, and the next day we will host a 24 hour donation event stream where we announce the winners, their sequential order in the funding queue, and do all sorts of stuff to get you guys hype and donating.

Please spread the word, and start giving us your nominations ASAP!

Leg Horse

May 19, 2018
INFORMATION UPDATE!

We are now accepting nominations for international players to be funded!

Following today's Fightin' Foenatics Match Commentary stream, we have officially announced the planning and dates for our community player fund initiative, and we're looking at all of you folks to start sending in your nominations for international players you'd like to see make it out to Combo Breaker 2020.

Arcanel from Argentina has already been locked in as sort-of the #0 recipient, but the rest will be as follows:

1. Community Choice #1
2. Organizer Choice #1
3. Community Choice #2
4. Organizer Choice #2

Send a DM to any of the Fightin' Foenatic Organizers (names in blue in the FF server, but not to Aaron who is also in the server), or simply put in the nomination via a comment here. We are only accepting nominations for players outside the contiguous US (so long flights from Alaska/Hawaii/territories are potentially acceptable), and on the next FF stream on Saturday, October 12th at 4 pm, we will announce the nominees and begin the voting process. Voting on the nominees will close at 11:59 PM US EST on October 25th, and the next day we will host a 24 hour donation event stream where we announce the winners, their sequential order in the funding queue, and do all sorts of stuff to get you guys hype and donating.

Please spread the word, and start giving us your nominations ASAP!
Aww hell Well I'll nominate Enma_Darei to go to combo breaker bebe

Some Person

Pretty Pony Princess
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Santa Clarita, CA
I can't find the bracket for it, but I think there was a TFH side-tournament out in asia (might not have been, but I feel like it was over there) that got like, eight entrants. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, and has the bracket for it, I think it should be the top couple players from that (assuming those people still play anyways).