List of Livestream Lore/Gameplay Bits

Stunthead

Springbok when
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
New Zealand
I still have the image that header refers to. @ltowns probably does as well. Not sure if she wants to post it or I should.
I asked if anybody objected to me showing that map. Nobody did. (Of course, I asked when nobody was on, but why split hairs?), so here's an upscaled version of the map I added unofficial political borders and capitals to.

View attachment 2452
More like "the known" world of Foenum, really.​
Yes. Yes to all of this.

Stunthead

Springbok when
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
New Zealand
Hey. How's it going?
It's been a while since the last work stream, hasn't it? A lot of people have joined the community in that time. So for those of you who don't know me, hi! I'm Stunthead! I recap the streams. My recaps are based on the YouTube uploads, so go here if you want to follow the time stamps to a specific moment. Without any further ado, let's tackle...

MANE 6 WORK STREAM #18 - JAN 31

0:00 - So right off the bat, we should establish a few things. A LOT has been changed since the last work stream. I'm not going to go into detail about the differences in the game between this stream and the last one (because, y'know, the last one was before public release, we'd be here all day), but the devs cover a few of the more recent changes as the stream goes on. First off, we have the new Reine pixel lobby (with music!) which the devs run around in for the first 20 or so minutes of the video.
0:41 - Aaron Stavely, the new dev, is introduced! His job is to manage the dev team and make sure they're supported and on track.
3:15 - This lobby is the first full example of the work done by the newly hired pixel artist. She's also been working on the story mode, which the team will delve into later. This is the point in the video where they start walking around and showing the lobby off.
4:13 - The team reveals the hidden location of the salt mines in this lobby.
4:33 - They enter the salt mines, which includes new tiles, a new layout, and...
5:14 - ...a SPOOKY new fight transition!
8:02 - The predators have supers now! Which, as Nappy quickly finds out, gives them the ability to BM.
8:39 - Further updates to the salt mines will drop before 1.0 release.
9:21 - Matchmaking has been added, and you can queue for it while in the pixel lobby, as well as pretty much anywhere else in the game.
10:19 - You probably won't be able to enter the lobby buildings in Reine, but the plan is to have little quips pop up when you interact with them, as if there's someone on the other side.
10:57 - Snowball fights aren't currently implemented, but fun little mini games like that are still on the to-do list.
11:18 - Aaron's waifu is Oleander. This is very important information that needed to be timestamped. Yep.
12:21 - Tianhuo activates her level 2, which shows us the new UI element, the install timer!
12:53 - Tian, Oleander and Paprika all have install timers for their level 2s, and Paprika gets a little counter to display how many gifts she still has in her picnic basket. Oh, and before I forget, they also show off the new graphics for Velvet's super during this fight.
14:16 - The team is at the stage where they can add more polish. They've added a "pick up fruit" indicator to Pap's gifts, and they plan on adding a similar icon for when Pap is standing over her picnic basket to show you can pull something from it.
14:19 - The casual Rank-Up system is in. You get bonus XP if you complete certain criteria, like if you play/win against someone who is a significantly better rank than you, or if you win with a perfect, etc.
20:00 - The team shows off the feature of training with other players in the pixel lobby. You can mess around in the options as you play without pausing the person you're training with.
21:50 - Arizona's super level 1 and 2 have been given some love in the animation department, and you can see them in action here.
22:51 - The team shows off the tutorial mode a little bit, for the sake of those who haven't yet seen it. The tutorial is nice and in-depth, but it also contains a bunch of little jokes and Easter eggs.
29:16 - The pixel lobby stage (Reine, the Prairie, etc) is tied to the server. People will be able to see which is which so they can play in the part of Fœnum that they want. I'm going to assume that people hosting servers will be able to pick which stage they use.
30:44 - The team is willing to have a look at making it more clear when the pips of magic in Velvet's meter are full and when they aren't.
31:40 - The team has finished showing off stuff that is already in the game and starts teasing future stuff. Starting with, you guessed it... STORY MODE! The moment we've all been waiting for! The section they're playing is a snippet from Arizona's story mode, and it involves her travelling along the beaten path in the Prairie. Right away we get some new UI stuff, an example of how the story is being told through the little dialogue boxes, a SUPER CUTE little animation of Arizona hopping into some water, and of course, some new music! Lots of stuff still subject to change, but it's a hell of a taster. If you're interested in the lore, you may as well just watch this bit in its entirety.
32:32 - A new feature that hasn't been seen yet. In the story mode, you can jump off ledges and swim in water!
33:19 - Arizona tries to be anti-social, gets called out on it by a new NPC. Her name is Madison. She a cow.
33:42 - Arizona chats to Madison. This is a great section to watch if you want to see some of the dialogue in action, and get a taste of the game's sense of humor.
35:04 - Poor young cow commits multiple suicides. Tragic. :arisad:
37:00 - An example of how you can use things like Ari's stomp during the non-fighting parts of the story mode. A few basic bits of gameplay to keep things interesting between fights and dialogue.
37:30 - Spooky new cave music!
38:10 - Landing after falling as Ari works in the same way as her stomp does.
38:52 - More new music! This one is a tense pre-battle theme.
39:03 - Them's Sneakin' Cows
40:03 - Sometimes an enemy won't just be an enemy. It might be multiple enemies, or it could be an enemy with modified stats.
41:00 - You can find hats and things in story mode that can be used in the pixel lobbies, and you can also wear them in story mode itself. They probably won't have effects in story mode, but it's something the team is willing to explore.
42:30 - The salt will act as a soft currency, there will be some NPCs, a few of them hidden, that you can trade with in order to get hats and things. There will be no hard currency or lootboxes.
44:33 - There will be hats that are only available to find in story mode, and there will also be bonus bosses. Some of the bosses will be "one of the fighters you currently have." Apparently people who play BlazBlue will know what that means. I don't play BlazBlue, so if anyone knows what is being implied here, let me know.
45:18 - Backer stuff is still in the works. It'll be ready for 1.0 release.
48:04 - The team moves on from story mode and shows off Arizona's WIP Level 3 super. They talk for a while about their animation process.
48:45 - For all characters other than Pom, they've done some work on animating their "thrown" state when hit by Ari's super. They show those off here (except for Tian, she's done but not in this particular file). Some top notch faces here.
53:00 - Level 3 inputs will be as simple as the team can make them, nothing too crazy.
54:12 - Level 3s that hit raw will probably do a crap load of damage. But in a combo, they'll scale pretty heavily, more so than the other supers. A better use of 3 super bars is to use level 1s and 2s. Level 3 is more for spectacle than for practicality.
1:02:02 - Startup for level 3s will depend on the character. Not every level 3 is going to be a direct attack. At least one of them will be an install.
1:03:09 - Dev matches start.
1:04:17 - Aaron explains his plans for future TFH videos. His next one might be a basic breakdown of the game's combo system. He'll be posting his videos to the forum, and he'll be looking for feebdack. He's going to hold off on the character specific videos until after 1.0 because of how often the characters get changed. No sense making a video on a character who will be pointedly different in the next few weeks.
1:14:10 - Updating the character portraits in the main fight UI is on the list of things to change.
1:14:38 - I love how they keep defaulting to idly sliding around on the ice whenever they enter the pixel lobby. This is why polish is so important. It may seem like a small thing, but you'd miss it if it was gone.
1:15:31 - 1.0 Release is coming this year. Guaranteed. It'll come with the story mode prologue and the Arizona chapter, with the other story mode chapters releasing in the following months for free.

And that's it! I hope you enjoyed the recap! I tried to refrain from the butt jokes and general silliness this time around for the sake of all the new people, but I'm sure that standard is going to slip the more of these that come out. So look forward to that! See you next stream!

Last edited:

Stunthead

Springbok when
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
New Zealand
Hello! This recap is very late! Sorry about that. I'd explain why, but then I'd have to spend time explaining, and then the recap would be even LATER! We can't have that! So let's get right to...

MANE 6 WORK STREAM #19 - FEB 28

0:00 - So, to start off, we have a group of devs working on some pixel art NPCs for the story mode. Included in the stream today is Alco, who (I think?) is the new pixel artist that they hired to help with story mode background art. FYI, I haven't actually seen this stream yet, so looks like we're BOTH in for some surprises today!
2:17 - Jay shows off the method they have for creating the NPCs. They mix and match a bunch of different body parts that they have to make all sorts of distinct looking characters. Then they can recolor them and place them into story mode. Jay starts by showing off the Reine citizens.
3:32 - Jay shows off the BOY DEER!
8:38 - And now it's time for the LOVELY LADY DEER!
12:15 - I dON't thINK tHosE WerE GoLDeN OAts!
14:38 - Cow time is now time!
15:58 - I should mention that much of this stream involves the team discussing the trials and tribulations of creating unique pixel characters. At this point in the stream, they mention that they want the cows to look square without making them just look like boxes. Which I think is a problem a lot of cow artists have had in the past.
28:10 - "This guy is starting to look a little bit... fetish-y..." - Jay Wright, 2019
30:49 - The stream switches over to Alco, who is showing off the Arizona story mode tile sets. Apparently he has done some work on making sure the styles are consistent and consolidated.
31:55 - Salt Mine tile set.
33:00 - Alco begins showing off his tools and his process.
38:31 - The tile set tool is capable of creating animated tiles, like lovely wibbly water, as demonstrated here.
41:14 - Our first sneak peak of the Paprika tile set!
47:12 - Alco begins creating a new rock for the Arizona environment.
49:35 - Alco's supreme knowledge of pixel artistry SHOCKS and AMAZES the other devs!
1:09:15 - Alco finishes creating the rocks.
1:17:04 - After a bunch of pixelly, arty advice, we get back to Jay, who begins showing off the unicorn pixel art. They're very much a WIP, but they're still super cute.
1:22:40 - The FANCIEST unicorn!
1:25:34 - We switch over to gameplay stuff so that we can see the stuff for the upcoming patch! ...The patch that has already come put. Whoops. Well, if you need a more thorough recap of that, you can find the patch notes here.
1:26:40 - Aaron shows off the Arizonas character select pose... in a horrible frame rate! Again, this and all the other poses are already in game if you want to check them out for yourself.
1:27:58 - They show off the new portraits, which again, are also already in game! Wow, it's almost like these stream recaps ultimately don't amount to much... :olliesad:
1:28:40 - The juggle decay now goes yellow when full, and starts turning deeper and deeper red as you continue to combo. This is a visual indicator of how high the gravity on the opponent is getting.
1:28:57 - An indicator now shows off invalid combos, which are combos that are escapable by teching. It specifies which frame the tech option became available, which is helpful for everyone.
1:32:18 - Arizona's level 1 super has had a visual update.
1:33:25 - There we go, there's the character select animations in all their non-choppy glory. Some of these have already been changed since this stream.
1:34:10 - There are now divisions in the frame lines so you don't have to count them all anymore. A few of Velvet's ice effects have also had animation updates, courtesy of a new effects artist that has joined the team. Finally, the juggle decay data is now displayed alongside the other attack data.
1:36:50 - Low health portraits, for when your ungulates have ouchies.
1:38:26 - The team shows off the new animation for the end of Velvet's super, which was added in an even *earlier* patch from before this stream. The devs are even later with their recap on this one than I am!
1:39:09 - I can't believe Pom is ****ing dead.
1:39:55 - The team plugs the post-patch stream, which is happening in about... it already happened. Whoops. Again.
1:42:18 - Stream switches back to Jay, who is casually decapitating Paprika. He assures us that this is a good thing.
1:44:24 - Finally, we switch to Alco, who spends the remainder of the stream building a house with the tile sets.
1:50:59 - It upsets me that nobody laughed at Jay's burn on broccoli here. That was hilarious.

There we have it. This one was a little lighter on the lore/gameplay tidbits, but if you're interested in learning about pixel art, it's a good stream to watch in full. Anyway, if the post-patch stream gets uploaded to YouTube, you can expect a recap of that! Until next time!

Stunthead

Springbok when
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
New Zealand
Back so soon? Alright, well, here's another recap for you. Not late this time! This one is a post-patch stream, so most of the stuff here is just to document the changes that can be found in these patch notes.

MANE 6 POST-PATCH STREAM - TFH EARLY ACCESS UPDATE #12

1:06 - Excellent Nappy impersonation.
1:18 - Hey! Community member MPK was invited to this stream!
1:55 - They switch over to the patch notes and start going through them, explaining their thinking. They begin by showing off the Improved JD bar.
3:47 - Invalid Combo Display
6:55 - Reactive character portraits.
8:24 - Character select poses. Some are still WIP.
9:55 - Training Mode UI Extras
13:29 - New Tutorial Portraits. They do a side-by-side of the old ones compared to the new ones. The new ones aren't as rounded, which is bad news for those of us that like curves, but good news for everyone else, as it better matches the game's art style.
15:21 - Did... did he just say "Looks like a butt?" Am I hearing that right? Man, I thought I was being a weirdo talkin' about curves, but I guess I'm not the only one thinking it this time around.
17:02 - Pixel Lobby changes
19:51 - General gameplay changes are explained here.
26:36 - Arizona-specific changes.
36:04 - Velvet-specific changes.
39:00 - Paprika-specific changes.
41:07 - Pom-specific changes.
45:55 - Finally, Tian Huo-specific changes. Poor Oleander didn't have the time or crayons to have any changes made this time.
50:35 - The question is asked if Tian Huo's flames will be fully animated for all her moves at some stage. Nappy explains it's tricky to animate flames in 2D, but they plan on adding more movement whenever possible at a later date.
51:56 - Tian's air throw animation is supposed to be a one-inch punch, which is why it looks the way it does. The team is in the polish stage, so they say they can clean up animations as they go.
53:53 - Someone asks if the characters will get crouch animations like Tian's. The team can't promise it'll happen before 1.0, but they say they'll see where it fits on their schedule.
55:27 - The team is hoping to have TFH at combo breaker this year.
57:06 - They're looking to have salt mine 2.0 in by the time the game releases.
1:00:00 - We will be seeing more character palettes. Pom is currently having some made for her.
1:00:29 - Any localization and translation is going to be handled by the publisher.

There we go. I don't expect that these post-patch streams are going to have much in the way of new lore or gameplay tidbits, but I can at the very least timestamp the explanations. Hopefully people find that useful. See you next stream.

Stunthead

Springbok when
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
New Zealand
You got the patches, I 'cap the stream. Sweet to taste, saccharine.
It's another post-patch stream, so if you just want a summary of the changes, go here. For everything else, check below! I mean, I know that you know where the rest of the post is, you don't need me telling you, I just... I needed an introduction to the recap and so- look, just read the thing already.

MANE 6 POST-PATCH STREAM - TFH EARLY ACCESS UPDATE #13

0:00 - "HOOORSE."
0:57 - If you missed the news, prominent TFH community member MPK is now an official community manager. The Mane 6 empire is growing!
1:41 - The flowers from Pom's stage were causing CPUs to stop working, so they've been killed forever. And by forever I mean not forever, the team will put them back in once they figure out a better way to implement them.
2:53 - The beginning of the general patch notes.
3:14 - Just kidding, skipping ahead, the team shows off Paprika's new *HEAVY BREATHING* character select animation. Oleander also has a brand new character select idle as well. The joy of recapping these streams blindly, huh? Never know when the team is going to pull a fast one on you.
4:48 - Alright, for real this time, general patch notes start here, beginning with their thinking behind reducing the meter gain for your opponent when they're hit by multi-hit attacks.
6:25 - "Attacks that force standing on hit no longer cause stand blocking" explained.
8:00 - "Fixed pushblocks still allowing chip kills" explained and demonstrated.
10:36 - "Fixed situations that allowed players to block while still running straight towards their opponent" explained.
12:32 - Arizona's sole patch note explained here.
13:29 - Velvet's patch notes are explained here.
16:45 - Oleander's patch notes briefly touched on.
18:06 - Pom's patch notes briefly touched on.
18:30 - "I'm a strong independent woman and no one can tell me where to put the color." - Presented without context.
19:32 - Tian's patch notes are explained here.
23:25 - Paprikia's patch notes are explained here. There's a lot of them. Most of them boil down to "we wanted her to be more scary."
26:42 - SLOW MOTION BOOTY THRUSTS
27:12 - "That's a meaty butt." - Again, presented without context.
30:22 - This game does not have any "tippers." The reason is that since this game doesn't give players movement options while they're being combo'd, there's no situation where tippers would come into play.
37:23 - "Her legs are now consistent across the board." "...I wanna make a joke, but I'm not going to." Come on you guys, this is the second time now. The lewd jokes are supposed to be my job.
43:46 - Nappy realizes there's something he forgot to write on the list. So it looks like you're getting some super special *bonus* content here in the recap today! Back-dashing has been given 2 or 3 extra frames of invulnerability.
45:26 - Hey Nappy. Guess who forgot to "include it in the hot patch" notes?
45:59 - The team begins talking about things that they plan on putting in the hot patch. You can find the information about the hot patch by following the same link I posted above.
50:56 - An error that has not yet been fixed in the hot patch - under some circumstances, Paprika cannot eat her own gifts.
52:37 - The team is still committed to doing a mini-patch "in about two weeks," which will contain improvements to Velvet and Arizona's pixel lobby, as well as the inclusion of Paprika's lobby, for the first time. Hooray! And there will be music! Double hooray!
53:57 - The reason why the bot improvements didn't make it into this patch is because... AI is hard. It's possible the AI has become so sentient that it is now actively resisting being nerfed. TFH has ushered forth the singularity.
55:57 - "We need an animated logo or something just to put at the bottom [of the stream]." Great idea! Might I recommend the Velvet booty shake loading screen image? :olliesilly:
57:17 - The team makes a really cool announcement: Them's Fightin' Herds is going to be at Combo Breaker 2019! They will have an exhibitor booth, and many of the team will be there so you can meet and chat to them. If you watch the combo breaker streams, you'll be able to see a few TFH commercials, and there will be a new video tutorial some time soon.
59:58 - But wait, there's more! The team has plans for other cons in the works too! But for more info on that, you'll need to wait.
1:01:52 - They will not be exhibiting at EVO, but MPK will be hosting a side tournament there.

Good stream! Some nice announcements, some buffs for Pap, and I got to make like, three different butt jokes! That's a good stream in my books. Anyway, thanks for reading. See ya.

Stunthead

Springbok when
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
New Zealand
11pm is probably not a good time to start writing a stream recap. But I'm not here to make good decisions. I'm here to RECAP STREAMS!

MANE 6 POST-PATCH STREAM - TFH EARLY ACCESS UPDATE #13.2

0:15 - "Shorter than usual" he says about the stream that is exactly as long as usual.
1:07 - The music they're talking about (which I assume they were playing before the stream started) is now finished and available to listen to in-game. Just go to Paprika's pixel lobby to hear it! And go to Arizona's too, while you're at it, and hear her new song as well.
2:27 - General gameplay changes recapped here. They talk again about the increased invincibility frames, which finally made it into the patch notes.
5:38 - Reduction in per-hit scaling of supers explained here.
7:09 - Super jump cross up changes detailed.
8:42 - Arizona changes covered.
11:50 - Velvet changes covered. Some updated animations.
21:51 - Paprika changes covered. Including improvements to the previously mentioned *HEAVY BREATHING!*
24:21 - The odd little line flashing on Pap's hooves is caused by a problem at the engine level. The team will try to isolate and fix it if they can.
33:24 - The seed for Paprika's random gifts is set when the match starts, so if you were to save in training mode and fire a gift, then load back and do it again, both gifts will be the same.
34:41 - Pom changes covered. Look at all them new palettes!
35:27 - BEST PALETTE. Beats all palettes. No contest. Should be default, frankly. I will not hear arguments.
36:54 - "This dog used to be very THICC!"
39:16 - Tianhuo changes covered.
41:37 - I can't believe Velvet is bucking dead.
51:20 - Pap's lobby is close to done! I mean, as of today, it *is* done, so... go check it out.
55:22 - The design philosophy for the game is that everyone started out busted, and they've slowly pulled them back to sensible levels. They go into more detail about that here.
1:01:01 - Yes, the team is planning to stream from Combo Breaker! It will be a fairly simple thing, probably mainly just a setup to show people playing the game. But they'll stop by and chat when they can.
1:03:43 - And to end it, it's the theme from Paprika's stage. Sweet.

This one was pretty short and simple. I hope I didn't miss anything. It's possible I did because it's after 3am and I'm falling asleep. This was a bad idea. Why didn't any of you stop me? Anyway, good night, and see you next time.

Reactions: Feanor and Oreo