TFH at Combo Breaker 2018 [UPDATED - Side Tourney Application Accepted]

Erkicman

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Hi all,

For those who don't know, Combo Breaker is one of the 3 most successful and well-run Fighting Game majors in the US, along with CEO and EVO. For those games that don't get featured on EVO's main stage, such as Killer Instinct or Skullgirls, Combo Breaker is basically their EVO.

So it looks like Combo Breaker 2018 has a thing where people can submit applications to have their game featured as a side tournament. This entails having space and a time slot set aside in the "Bring Your Own Console" (BYOC) Area to run the tournament. In addition, Combo Breaker will help promote the side tournament for selected games.

Side Tournament Applications! - COMBO BREAKER

I am willing to fill out one of these applications and run a side tournament at Combo Breaker. If anyone else has, or was planning to fill out one of these applications, please post here! If you are willing to help run brackets/provide setups, please post here! I don't want to be unaware if there was already a concerted effort to get a TFH side tournament at Combo Breaker, and so far I haven't seen anything suggesting that there's an effort to get a side tournament going at this time. If things go well, we can work together!

Don't let this post prevent you from filling out an application if you were already planning to do so. The organizer of Combo Breaker, TheHadou, told me,

"Never too late and it's never a bad thing for the event to get multiple proposals for a single game (if anything that ups chances for selection). Please fill out a form!"

I have experience TO-ing fighting games on a regular basis.

Notes: If Mane6, for any reason, does not want community members to submit applications/run a side tournament, please let me know and I'll back off. Also, if TFH does not get selected as a Combo Breaker Side Tournament, we can still use the BYOC area for side tournaments. We would just have to carve out time, space, and promotion ourselves.

Please post here if there are any questions or concerns! I'll try to get my form sent by the end of the week. I think this game really does have what it takes to gain traction in the offline scene.

Last edited:

Erkicman

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Hi all,

Just putting it out there, I can bring 1, possibly 2 setups to this (the second setup is a dinosaur that can barely run TFH and I need to reinstall Steam on that PC). If anyone can possibly help out with another setup, it would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, I will need to cap this at 16 people. I think 16 people would be realistic anyway, at least for the purposes of the application. Not sure how much time they'll give us, though

Erkicman

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Hi all, so I was notified today that Combo Breaker will set aside time and space for a TFH side tournament. Will update as soon as an official time has been locked in, and when I have any additional information to share.

A couple of things:

- We will be given 2.5 hours to run the tournament.
- Double elimination, 2/3 games until winners finals/losers finals/grand finals.
- The tournament will be located in the BYOC Area.
- I can bring 2 setups, which will give us a cap of 16 people.
- If we can get 2 additional setups, we can increase the cap to 24 people. If we can get 4 additional setups, we can increase the cap to 32 people. 32 people will be our max limit if we get there. If you can help out with additional setups, please let me know! (Post here or hit me up via PM).

Last edited:

super hurricane

Feb 13, 2016
Good for you, will you be recording the gameplay over at the Combo Breaker tourney? I mean, 2.5 hours seems to be a good set-up due to the time limit of a minute and a half, so everyone should get done before then. Though if anything, you'll probably have to explain the game to those participating in terms of the characters and plot since they won't have enough time to practice.

Erkicman

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
What I'll try to do is record at least the top 4, hopefully top 8 and upload the matches to Youtube. Also, I am not really expecting to have to explain the game to a majority of participants. My expectation is that a lot of these players will at least be familiar with what's in Early Access. Bear in mind that Combo Breaker is the Mecca of competitive Skullgirls, and a lot of those players are already VERY good at TFH. Some of the people reading these forums are going to Combo Breaker as well, and they also have experience with the game.

Of course, if a novice is throwing in their lot for the heck of it, I'll let them know to pick Oleander and mash C whenever possible.

Reactions: Lanxide

SmokeRulz

Where there is smoke, there is fire!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Awesome! Let us know how it goes, and if you get anything to YouTube, be sure to post them here.

Lanxide

I wish I was cool
Feb 3, 2016
Melbourne Fl
Sadly I won't be able to attend Combo Breaker this year due to being lazy purchasing tickets and hotels being booked. I'll be going to CEO/CEOtaku for sure though.
Best of luck to the participants.

Erkicman

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Hi everyone, I am pleased to formally announce more details on the official TFH Side Tournament at Combo Breaker!

We have space set aside in the BYOC Area, Friday, May 25th, 2:00 PM.

Sign up online at Challonge: Combo Breaker 2018 TFH Side Tournament - Standings - Challonge

Please only sign up if you are already registered for Combo Breaker (Minimum: Spectator Fee) and are prepared to pay a $5 entry fee on site (cash, please)! If you are unable to check in/pay the fee by 10 minutes prior to the start of the tournament, your spot will be taken by people on the waiting list (first-come, first-serve). Please provide your own controller!

On-site registration ends 10 minutes prior to tournament start. Brackets WILL be randomized prior to the start of the tournament!

Most recent version of the game will be played.

Payouts:

1st - 60% prize pool
2nd - 30% prize pool
3rd - 10% prize pool

NOTE: Wired controllers only. Also, if you plan to use unusual controllers - Guitar Hero, musical keyboards, DDR Pads, Dakimakuras - please let me know in advance, and if there are any unusual drivers I would need to run those. Because these might legitimately not work.

EDIT: Thanks to the generosity of the community, we now have enough setups to increase our player cap to 24 people! Additionally, FF|Songhacker and I will provide a combined $200 pot bonus for the tournament.

EDIT: Top 3-4 of the tournament (time depending) will be recorded and broadcast on TeamSp00ky after Combo Breaker.

If anyone has any questions or concerns, please post on this thread, tweet me @Erkicman, or contact me on Discord Erkicman#9535.

Last edited:

Erkicman

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Hey guys! Edited my previous post, but 2 things that I'm pleased to announce:

1) We now have enough setups to increase our player cap to 24 people! Thank you to everyone who helped out - Lizardman301, FF|Songhacker, and PAG.BlackAtlus!

2) FF|Songhacker and I will provide a combined $200 pot bonus to this tournament!

Last edited:

Erkicman

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Okay, edited the above post again, but for people asking about streams/recordings earlier: Top 3 - 4 of TFH at Combo Breaker will be recorded and broadcast on TeamSp00ky on a later date.

Reactions: Lanxide

Erkicman

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I did not see that coming. I thought Sp00ky did not want anything to do with the game (especially when he said he was going to ban me just for bringing up the name) I guess he had a change of heart.
Wow, I didn't think he was ever THAT against this game.

That being said, this isn't really as much a change of heart as it is something Sp00ky will be doing for all of the official community side tournaments at the event.

Valsion

Feb 24, 2018
Is there any particular reason why he was so against the game? Banning someone just for mentioning it sounds way too unreasonable.

Lanxide

I wish I was cool
Feb 3, 2016
Melbourne Fl
Is there any particular reason why he was so against the game? Banning someone just for mentioning it sounds way too unreasonable.
Who knows, best to ask him on twitter or something.
That doesn't sound like Vic. It was probably how the name what brought up, not that it was in the first place.

Also, good luck to everyone tomorrow! It's a stacked bracket. Looking forward to the results!
I remembered it was being around the time of release
Me: "When's Them's Fightin Herds?" (I don't remember if I added the ResidentSleeper emote or not)
TeamSp00ky: "When I ban you."
That pretty much how it went.
Darn I overslept. It's going to be uploaded on YouTube right?

super hurricane

Feb 13, 2016
Hmm...no sign of the video on TeamSpooky's channel. Maybe it's being edited for time or something. I mean, given those involved had a big audience watching TFH on the big screen, there should be rave reviews and social commentary praising the game for being in the side tournament.

Oreo

Keepin' It Stylish
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
D.M.V. FGC
Hmm...no sign of the video on TeamSpooky's channel. Maybe it's being edited for time or something. I mean, given those involved had a big audience watching TFH on the big screen, there should be rave reviews and social commentary praising the game for being in the side tournament.
You misunderstood. They said that all the side tournaments would be recorded, and then the recordings would be played back on TeamSp00ky at a later date.

super hurricane

Feb 13, 2016
Very well, though I hope this Team Spooky was able to record the matches since they mentioned on their twitter that they were having trouble with the connection during that time.

Incidentally, is there any other gaming tournaments with pools this year that TFH can be submitted to?

Oreo

Keepin' It Stylish
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
D.M.V. FGC
Very well, though I hope this Team Spooky was able to record the matches since they mentioned on their twitter that they were having trouble with the connection during that time.
The gameplay was recorded on screen recording devices for side tournaments. They weren't streamed, so the internet going out wouldn't impact it in any way. The tournament was sponsored by AverMedia, who were promoting their Live Gamer Portable line of capture cards that can record gameplay directly to an SD card.

super hurricane

Feb 13, 2016
(checks it over) Hmm...the twitch link isn't loading properly. Is he planning to put it on YouTube as well?